Angry cyclist!

dailycyclist

Sep 13, 2012
Hi, i'm new to these forums but let's just get to the point. Today I was out on the road approaching a stop sign just about to get on the main road so I pulled to the edge of the road before the stop then suddenly some angry cager woman started honking me to get on the sidewalk. So then i threw my hands up like "seriously cager?!?!" and shouted "share the road" ignoring her demand to get on the side walk and made left turn riding on the parking lane. Aftermath = me here ranting about selfish drivers in their cages.

Honestly that angered me a bit as we as cyclist have a right to be on the road and share it with other people cycle/car without having to go on the sidewalk as we please. Btw I wasn't blocking her so she could've easily waited for me to turn instead of attempting to honk me off the road. Has anyone else here had this experience before? If so, please "NICELY" share your story. Thanks for reading :)

Originally Posted by dailycyclist .

..... So then i threw my hands up like "seriously cager?!?!" and shouted "share the road" ...... Aftermath = me here ranting about selfish drivers in their cages.

.... Has anyone else here had this experience before? If so, please "NICELY" share your story. Thanks for reading :)
Once in a busy intersection... I decided the only safe way to cross was to actually walk my bicycle at the cross-walk. Still a lady nearly hit me (while I was in the cross-walk) with her car. Whereas I meant to only speak loud enough to be heard.... I am sure it came out as yelling at the lady that nearly hit me. What I said/yelled was "Hey... we have laws".

If I had become so angered (AKA afraid) that I actually referred to another human I didn't even know as a "cager".... I think I would seek help. You seem to have some issues. That isn't a normal way to think about another human.

I am glad you shared your feeling here... even though they are a bit out of bounds. I hope you go on to share those feeling with someone who can better help you reflect on your feelings (fears). Maybe a parent, sibling, priest, best friend, wife, doctor?

I think if we are all honest about it we have either thought or done so at some point in the cyclist commuting lifestyle. Getting video on the handlebar is part of my way of keeping things in check. It gives the cars the accountability that they get recorded in my database, but it also records audio very well(good or bad) so I have to hear it if I yell on playback. The yelling has gone down, but sometimes the ignorant still get the best of me.

On a related note, A mass-transit bus decided to play agressive cut off with me 4 times in a 2 mile stretch yesterday. Each time within hand-slap distance then stopping 1 car length in front to make his stops(while I was riding speed limit). I was tempted to walk onto the bus and ask what gives, but I let it go with a video and police report. Sometimes debating with the ignorant is not worth it.

You are normal since adrenaline tends to raise emotions. Unless you are Mr Rogers you will go into combat mode at times depending on your mood, so I wouldn't seek counseling just yet. Just keep repeating , "I will not kill and ignorant people today". Even if they deserve it.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

You are normal since adrenaline tends to raise emotions. Unless you are Mr Rogers you will go into combat mode at times depending on your mood, so I wouldn't seek counseling just yet. Just keep repeating , "I will not kill and ignorant people today". Even if they deserve it.
Awwwww. You take all the fun away.

Is that the Tour de Afghanistan?

The good ol' U.S. of A.!

These Swiss gals are probably NOT going to get much road rage directed at them...

Cyclists are easy targets for angry motorists. And there's a lot of angry motorist out there...ride safely. Keep your cell phone handy and always be ready to pull that assault rifle off your back! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Admittedly.... real combat does cause fear. But then we all know... real combat is hell.... NOT sport (and most certainly NOT hobby). Of course.... cycling on the roads will cause a little fear in most people form time-to-time. But demeaning humans to a "less-than [human]" status by referring to them as "cagers" is more of a warning sign... than a fear reaction.

If a cyclist gets the **** scared out of them and pops out a swear word or two.... that is regrettable. But understandable in your adrenaline charged emotion idea. But since almost every adult I know (including ME) drives a car.... the "cager" comment concerns me. I don't think referring to humans that drive as less-then human has anything to do with his fear-reaction.

Sorry. Also... I never suggested the OP seek counseling.... just that he continue to share his feelings with someone he can trust. Anyone... can get a little misguided and need to talk things out to find a better direction.

Originally Posted by Conniebiker .

I think if we are all honest about it we have either thought or done so at some point in the cyclist commuting lifestyle.
No. Not even for on second of my entire life have I ever thought of another human being as anything "less than" human. Let alone post on-line calling someone a "cager". However there was a time when I trained (in the military) in preparation to detach myself from my emotions and think of people as mere targets (so I DO understand the reasoning behind dehumanizing people). If... as a child... I had ever referred to "groups" of individuals in derogatory terms... whether separated by race, religion, social or economic status, or whatever... my Dad would have slapped my teeth out.

Have I ever been scared by a motorist? Sure plenty of times. Sometimes... I think they even scared me on purpose. Sometimes my own errors have scared me. I can't recall any outburst of anger... that I didn't regret later. And I don't think fear makes me a better cyclist or a better person. So I work at setting fear aside when I cycle.

I will be at a big football game tomorrow and I think I will see a lot of people that will need to share their feelings with a sensitive soul after the game. :)

I will be at a big football game tomorrow and I think I will see a lot of people that will need to share their feelings with a sensitive soul after the game. :)
I don't think your catching my point.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

I don't think your catching my point.
Oh yes I am. There will be a lot of yelling , foul language and a few fights. Alcohol will be a factor.

More human, than a hu-man; [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]..So I think that's why the color yellow makes me sad...[/COLOR]

Angry that "people", such as Bruno Mairer, use cyclists as fodder for extortion, I write about a vaguely related topic.

No amount of $ spent will make cycling any safer, as long as states continue to permit a. holes to operate motor vehicles w/o consequence:

[SIZE= 14px]Bruno: Wouldn’t life be better if you could ride your bike a little more often? If you didn’t have to worry about finding a safe place to ride? If the children in your community could bicycle to school instead of being driven everywhere?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Me: Yes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Bruno: If you believe in a better future for bicycling, we have an easy way for you to make a difference.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]All you need to do is vote for our parent foundation, Bike Bong, in the CheeseCo Grants competition. With five days to go, we are in 18th place, just 1,000 votes away from a $100,000 grant and 10,000 votes from the top prize of $250,000. Our movement is 600,000 people strong, so we really believe we can win! [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]A better future for bicycling is just a few clicks away. Visit the page and vote today! [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Thanks for your participation in our movement,[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]Bruno Maier, vice president, www.PeopleForB.s.uk.com[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Me: How would Bruno's Movement, having an additional $250,000, make cycling any safer? [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Me: It WON'T! Bruno's HOSING US! F. YOU BRUNO! [/SIZE]

Not Sure said:
More human, than a hu-man;  [COLOR=FF0000]..So I think that's why the color yellow makes me sad...[/COLOR] Angry that "people", such as Bruno Mairer, use cyclists as fodder for extortion, I write about a vaguely related topic.  No amount of $ spent will make cycling any safer, as long as states continue to permit a. holes to operate motor vehicles w/o consequence:  Bruno: Wouldn’t life be better if you could ride your bike a little more often? If you didn’t have to worry about finding a safe place to ride? If the children in your community could bicycle to school instead of being driven everywhere? Me: Yes.  Bruno: If you believe in a better future for bicycling, we have an easy way for you to make a difference. All you need to do is vote for our parent foundation, [COLOR=0066CC]Bike Bong[/COLOR], in the CheeseCo Grants competition. With five days to go, we are in 18[SUP]th[/SUP] place, just 1,000 votes away from a $100,000 grant and 10,000 votes from the top prize of $250,000. Our movement is 600,000 people strong, so we really believe we can win! A better future for bicycling is just a few clicks away. [COLOR=0066CC]Visit the page and vote today![/COLOR] Thanks for your participation in our movement, Bruno Maier, vice president, www.PeopleForB.s.uk.com Me: How would Bruno's Movement, having an additional $250,000, make cycling any safer?   Me: It WON'T!  Bruno's HOSING US!  F. YOU BRUNO! 
What a completely useless post.

Oh yes I am. There will be a lot of yelling , foul language and a few fights. Alcohol will be a factor.
Sound like my family reunion. Well it is missing the Harley's.

I can ride in on one of my H-D's...if the family is wealthy and willing to adopt! Damn...I cycle, ride Harleys AND am a cager! I rock!

Sometimes an assault rifle can be a bit of overkill...er...you know what I mean!

There are times when it's better to reach for something with a bit less recoil. That's why I always keep a STEN Mk III handy.

Sure, it adds a bit of weight to the training sessions and hill repeats will tire you out quicker, but hey! Anything to stay alive out there on the asphalt jungle!

There certainly are risks to cycling, and even more so when cycling in traffic. But when you become so adverse to the risks of cycling... that you can no longer discard what should be minor irritation with traffic... this should be recognized. When you no longer see the people you share the roadways with as grandparents, Mom's, kids, students, hot chicks and whatever. But instead see fuel burning “cagers”... taking up your space and obstructing your travels... you might have a problem.

Every athletic competition and/or sport requires the athlete to set aside some degree of concern for personal injury. Cyclist do get injured and even on occasion killed. Cycling is a great sport and a fine hobby! But it isn't for everyone. If traffic scares you... maybe the mountain cycling trails might be your thing.

Last Saturday while I was riding one of my favorite routes, some guy passes me in his car, stops and gets out and walks into the middle of the road. He then tells me that he hates bicycles on this road. "Too bad" I said and kept riding. Two days later and I'm on the same road when the same guy approaches me going fast from the opposite lane and veers across the yellow lines as though to hit me head on and then veers back. The road is sort of secluded with orange and avocado groves the entire way. There is very little vehicle traffic and I don't even see many bikes on it. Some people are just haters and you have to watch your back at all times. I guess I could have not said anything to the guy but at least I didn't swear or flip him off. I've been cycling for many years and been harassed more times than I care to remember. I've been verbally threatened with death and last year someone drove past and shot me in the arm with what I believe was a soft pellet. Just a sting, no wound. I try to not impede traffic and obey the laws but you just can't please everyone.