Angry motorist

GingerNatural

Jun 1, 2017
Florida
I was biking one day and a motorist began to shout at me very angrily, “Use the !@#%$! bike trail! Use the !@%$#! bike trail!!” then more naughty words. This guy had a MTB in the back of his pickup truck so I figure he does some riding. I laughed. I was on a divided multi-lane road in a shoulder marked with that bicycle sign the State of Florida painted on it for me. There is a paved trail off parallel but I leave that to pedestrians walking their dogs. Also I prefer the road as I can go faster there. Imagine what that angry guy’s home life is like. Doubt any normal person lives with him. A couple months later same angry guy shouted at me again. I ignored. All that was over a year ago and I haven’t heard from angry guy again. Perhaps he shouted at the wrong person after me and angry guy got his mouth closed for him.

The only road you are not allowed on is any road that states that bicycles are not allowed like on most interstate highways and toll roads. There is always a sign posted on on ramps that state that bicycles are not allowed, if no sign is shown then you're good to ride on it. So if some jerk is telling you where you should be riding they are completely misinformed and ignorant morons.

I had a guy scream at me that bikes are only allowed on sidewalks! I yelled back for him to stop so we could discuss it, of course he didn't stop...I don't suggest that you do that Ginger!

Not to worry I find ignoring the angry finger shakers is the best way. And isn't it funny how they just don't get it? It's called a sidewalk 'cause it is for pedestrians. It's called a road bike 'cause it belongs on the road... And to be sure, I would never have any remote reason or desire to ride on interstate or toll.

Reactions: YaBuoy
And to be sure, I would never have any remote reason or desire to ride on interstate or toll.

What's weird is that interstates and toll roads would be safer to ride on than surface streets or even county roads due to their very wide shoulders.

That outburst of a motorist is not common here but not rare either. To be honest, I sometimes curse the riders although they couldn't hear because I am inside my car. Yeah, I am a rider too but I am careful not to get those cars at risk from my bike. The culture of riders here is to move and inch in every gap they see during a traffic stop that scratches on cars are common courtesy of bikers and motorcycle riders.

First of all, I would have to commend you for having the mind and guts to keep silent when he was trying to provoke you. There are many people like that who ain't happy with themselves talk more of being happy with those they meet on a daily basis and the best way to handle such scenario is to keep calm and don't allow their anger get to you. Like you said, probably he got into the wrong guy who taught you how to shut his mouth at the end of the day.

It's best to avoid any confrontation on the road because you never know how violent a person behind the wheel can be. Road rage is a real thing and we should be mindful of it. Even when you're in the right, sometimes it's best to just let go and ignore whatever remarks other drivers tell you.

Sometimes it's better to ignore people like that and or just give way. Not worth getting into a debate since you already seen that his actions are not normal.

Much better to ignore that kind or motorist. In our country road rage is the most common problems in the highway and most of the time one of them ended up in the morgue because of the simple misunderstanding.