Animal fat sources and the risk of diabetes

markd

Guest
To continue my thesis that the story of the metabolic syndrom and the
level of diabetes is not a simple straight line cause and effect of total
carbs , we next look at fat source and these risk levels. In short, this
research shows that consumption of animal fat is related to risk for the
risk factors:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/2/302

Again the story is much more complex then high carb/low carb diets in what is a very involved multi
level metabolic process for the risk of the syndrom and diabetes. Fat, type and amount, type and
amount of carbs, exercise, weight, genetics and time at risk are all involved and each plays an
interdependent part. In general I think it safe to say that high sat fat with high gi/gl carbs in
excess of energy needs, sedentary lifestyle, over a considerable time is the combination which
produces the highest risk profile.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To continue my thesis that the story of the metabolic syndrom and the level of diabetes is not a
> simple straight line cause and effect of total carbs , we next look at fat source and these risk
> levels. In short, this research shows that consumption of animal fat is related to risk for the
> risk factors:
>
> http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/2/302
>
> Again the story is much more complex then high carb/low carb diets in what is a very involved
> multi level metabolic process for the risk of the syndrom and diabetes. Fat, type and amount, type
> and amount of carbs, exercise, weight, genetics and time at risk are all involved and each plays
> an interdependent part. In general I think it safe to say that high sat fat with high gi/gl carbs
> in excess of energy needs, sedentary lifestyle, over a considerable time is the combination which
> produces the highest risk profile.

I believe this is a balanced and sensible story.

GWC

> To continue my thesis that the story of the metabolic syndrom and the level of diabetes is not a
> simple straight line cause and effect of total carbs , we next look at fat source and these risk
> levels. In short, this research shows that consumption of animal fat is related to risk for the
> risk factors:
>
> http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/2/302
>
> Again the story is much more complex then high carb/low carb diets in what is a very involved
> multi level metabolic process for the risk of the syndrom and diabetes. Fat, type and amount, type
> and amount of carbs, exercise, weight, genetics and time at risk are all involved and each plays
> an interdependent part. In general I think it safe to say that high sat fat with high gi/gl carbs
> in excess of energy needs, sedentary lifestyle, over a considerable time is the combination which
> produces the highest risk profile.

Ya think? Did you consider the source of this study? It may be relevant as to whether or not this
study has any credibility an the scientific sense.

Dietary Fat Intake as Risk Factor for the Development of Diabetes

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/2/302#T2

The study is part of the Multicenter Nutritional Study of the Mediterranean Group for the Study
of Diabetes (MGSD), and it was financially supported by the MGSD, Novo Nordisk A/S, and
Farmaserve Hellas.

Mediterranean Group for the Study of Diabetes Supported by an unrestricted educational grant
from Servier:

http://www.servier.com/groupe/recherche.asp

From the above web page:
-------------
Servier Research & Development

The motor driving innovation and progress

SERVIER is maintaining its steep growth profile by bringing seven innovative drugs onto the market
in the next few years, addressing the following treatment sectors: menopause, osteoporosis,
diabetes, cardiology, hypertension, angina, heart failure, in neuropsychiatry and in oncology.
------------

Click on the Metabolic disease link: quote --------------- Metabolic disease

Several antidiabetic agents are under development: they include S 21403, a compound with a novel
effect on pancreatic insulin secretion in that it causes a rapid decrease in blood glucose levels
over a very short duration (it has glucose-lowering activity only after meals, not in between).

It has two potential benefits: it could prevent postprandial surges in hyperglycemia, it could avoid
the decrease in blood glucose that tends to persist after meals with conventional glucose-lowering
medication.

S 21403 could play an important role in the treatment of diabetes alongside the many other
pharmaceutical products already available.

Another highly promising compound, S 15261, is currently in Phase II development. Its
potential benefits are two-fold in that it acts on both insulin secretion and insulin target
tissues. ------------end quote

Back to the Mediterranean Group for the Study of Diabetes

USEFUL CONTACTS page: http://www.mgsd.net/uk/page2418.asp

Alfediam American Diabetes Association EASD IDF National Library of Medicine Servier Société
Marocaine d'Endocrinologie

About these contacts:

******************
About Alfediam

message for the president of Alfrediam: http://www.alfediam.org/alfediam/president.asp

quote----------- Elle est un partenaire privilégié des firmes pharmaceutiques qui
travaillent en recherche et développement sur ce domaine d'importance majeure qu'est le
Diabète. --------------end quote

rough translation to english: It (Alfrediam) is a privileged partner of the pharmaceutical firms
which work under development research and on this field of major importance which is the Diabetes.
***************

American Diabetes Association corporate sponsors:

http://www.diabetes.org/aboutus/corporatesponsors/makingadifference.jsp
*****************

EASD - European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) click on the corporate membership link
on this page: http://www.easd.org/
***************

IDF - International Diabetes Federation corporate sponsors:

http://www.idf.org/home/index.cfm?node=338
**************
Servier, see above
*************

All very interesting info to know. What would happen to the sales of these companies if it
were found that simply restricting refined carbs in the diet can resolve most cases of obesity
and diabetes?

Here is one very good piece of research that isn't connected to the pharmaceutical companies that
indicate clearly that blood glucose kills b-cells and that most fats protect them:

http://www.eje.org/eje/149/0099/1490099.pdf

This is what real science looks like.

TC

I'm not dismissive alone of research because it has industry funding, nor do I see any information
to support a concerted effort to promote less then healthy food consumoption just to increase
markets for medical services/meds. You presented some study said to be free of commercial influence.
It was funded by the ADA and the NIH. It would take but one or a few steps there to find commercial
sponsership and research funding from commercial intrests, including a revolving door with the
biomed/drug biz in people involved. Also, both promote a highish carb diet. This is the telling
point, the research should be accepted on it's merits not it's funding source. If in specific cases
undue 3rd party influence can be shown, then it should be known, but a sweeping dismissal doesn't
serve. Bty, I had read the article you reference before, thanks.

I read the article. A family history of diabetes and a sedentary lifestyle seem to be much better
indicators. They are talking about 3 grams of fat +/- 2 grams per day difference between the
diabetic and the control, and the IFG control group has a larger intake of daily animal fat than the
RDM group. Sorry, look like careful presentation of the correlations to prove a desired hypothesis.

Notes:

RDM = recently diagnosed diabetic UDM = unknown diabetes (very high fasting glucose level) IFG =
impaired fasting glucose (higher than normal glucose after fast)

Control group for a studied group was comprised of non-diabetic

origin.

[email protected] (tcomeau) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Several antidiabetic agents are under development: they include S
> 21403, a compound with a novel effect on pancreatic insulin secretion

Increasing insulin is far more damaging than reducing dietary carb intake as the means of reducing
serum glucose.

--Hua Kul