Animal Sprints

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
Found a new one on the way home from Kinglake on the Greensborough bypass

-The Squashed turkey sprint!:D

And thanks to the guy who asked if I needed a hand with my puncture, ahh the generosity of (most) cyclists!

Jono

Jono L said:
Found a new one on the way home from Kinglake on the Greensborough bypass

-The Squashed turkey sprint!:D

hahaha, triple points for rareness!!!!

Jawwoo and I spotted a ghost wombat about 2kms out of Warragul.. and it has a red eye. Rabid albino ghost wombat points up for grabs during the Baw Baw Classic!!!

"gplama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jono L Wrote:
>> Found a new one on the way home from Kinglake on the Greensborough
>> bypass
>>
>> -The Squashed turkey sprint!:D
>>

> hahaha, triple points for rareness!!!!
>
> Jawwoo and I spotted a ghost wombat about 2kms out of Warragul.. and it
> has a red eye. Rabid albino ghost wombat points up for grabs during the
> Baw Baw Classic!!!

I saw one of those turkey thingos when riding up to Kinglake before
Christmas.....it was towards the top where you go past all the
ferns.....this one was alive though and legged it across the road in front
of me (it was pretty early in the morning and I didn't have a single car
pass me either direction for the whole climb!!). Also saw an echidna on the
same trip only about 150m or so shy of the roundabout at Kinglake.

Haven't seen any white wombats but I did see four black wombats in the space
of 2 hours riding between Viewbank and Templestowe on the Yarra Singletrack
one night late last year. The first one came barelling down the hill and
crossed the track about a metre in front of me....scared the **** out of me.
There were also stacks of rabbits then......not too many now since baits
were put out a little while ago. My kids used to love riding along there
and counting how many rabbits they saw but the count has dropped from 100+ a
couple of months ago to 2 last weekend!!!

Gags

Spied a big owl last Saturday night in Royal Park alongside the Upfield line, it was probably waiting for some poor ******* (without decent lights) to go off the steps onto Manningham St. Probably a very well-fed owl .. :(

On Mar 20, 7:05 pm, gplama <gplama.2nq...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Jono L Wrote:
>
> > Found a new one on the way home from Kinglake on the Greensborough
> > bypass

> > -The Squashed turkey sprint!:D

> hahaha, triple points for rareness!!!!
>
> Jawwoo and I spotted a ghost wombat about 2kms out of Warragul.. and it
> has a red eye. Rabid albino ghost wombat points up for grabs during the
> Baw Baw Classic!!!

We saw two wombats in Westerfolds tonight (trying out the new HID ..
halogens are obsolete .. and how ...). One did two fast passes in
front of me, and the other ambled along the bridge over the yarra
while we suggested that it get a move on. No ghosts .. these were
real!

Bleve said:
On Mar 20, 7:05 pm, gplama <gplama.2nq...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Jono L Wrote:
>
> > Found a new one on the way home from Kinglake on the Greensborough
> > bypass

> > -The Squashed turkey sprint!:D

> hahaha, triple points for rareness!!!!
>
> Jawwoo and I spotted a ghost wombat about 2kms out of Warragul.. and it
> has a red eye. Rabid albino ghost wombat points up for grabs during the
> Baw Baw Classic!!!

We saw two wombats in Westerfolds tonight (trying out the new HID ..
halogens are obsolete .. and how ...). One did two fast passes in
front of me, and the other ambled along the bridge over the yarra
while we suggested that it get a move on. No ghosts .. these were
real!

I saw two kangaroos while going up Clintons Rd (BR route) a few weeks back. They were hopping along the road for a while about 50 metres in front of me. Beautiful.

jazmo wrote:

> I saw two kangaroos while going up Clintons Rd (BR route) a few weeks
> back. They were hopping along the road for a while about 50 metres in
> front of me. Beautiful.

Roos all the bloody time here and a very dangerous thing to have around
on those decents down Stromlo and Ainslie and occasionally by the side
of the track at the crits. Apart from that our training ride the other
morning almost came unstuck when a huge rat ran between me and the rider
in front. Eeek!

--
Bean "squeak"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long said:
jazmo wrote:

> I saw two kangaroos while going up Clintons Rd (BR route) a few weeks
> back. They were hopping along the road for a while about 50 metres in
> front of me. Beautiful.

Roos all the bloody time here and a very dangerous thing to have around
on those decents down Stromlo and Ainslie and occasionally by the side
of the track at the crits. Apart from that our training ride the other
morning almost came unstuck when a huge rat ran between me and the rider
in front. Eeek!

--
Bean "squeak"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

A friend was brought down on the weekend, on the 1/20, when the rider in front met a possum, and came down, with my friend getting caught up in the possum rally.

Snakes of course, a perennial summer hazard. Funny to watch a racing bunch veer suddenly to avoid a snake on the road, heralded by the call of "SNAKE!"

And those DUMB & SLOW!!!! rock pigeons on the bike path......

A fox sighting at Sandown a few weeks back, crossing the back straight in between bunches.

warrwych said:
A friend was brought down on the weekend, on the 1/20, when the rider in front met a possum, and came down, with my friend getting caught up in the possum rally.

Snakes of course, a perennial summer hazard. Funny to watch a racing bunch veer suddenly to avoid a snake on the road, heralded by the call of "SNAKE!"

And those DUMB & SLOW!!!! rock pigeons on the bike path......

A fox sighting at Sandown a few weeks back, crossing the back straight in between bunches.
During my time in Vancouver the problem was deer and bears. Climbing up Mt Seymour and Cypress the reigning fear among cyclists was to come across a bear in the ditch adjacent to the road as you were climbing (12k's at 7.5%) at around 15-20 kph. If the bear freaked and decided to go you, there was no way of out riding them. Didnt happen often but often enough to worry about it.

That said i only ever came across deer which caused many sketchy moments when they freak out on the road and try to run away with hooves on the bitumen while your descending towards them at 80+.

Didnt see any mooses unfortunately.

As we headed down to Cotter Xing on a training ride a couple of weeks
ago (in the dark at 6:00 am) the guy next to me told me the story of a
mate in his regular bunch who did a face plant after a hare ran into his
wheel. Apparently the hare had one leg severed by the spokes/forks and
three other following riders hit the dust. Not something I wanted to
hear coming into a dark valley at 50+ kph with little vision of what's
on the side of the road!

--
Bean
Remove "yourfinger" before replying

I ran over a red belly black the first day I got my 928 Bianchi. Must have
been an omen. The next ride I got a puncture, etc.

Always nice to be meeting nature and turning it into a landing strip.

Ahh a cycling Harry Butler fest...

On 2007-03-20, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> On Mar 20, 7:05 pm, gplama <gplama.2nq...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>> Jono L Wrote:
>>
>> > Found a new one on the way home from Kinglake on the Greensborough
>> > bypass

>> > -The Squashed turkey sprint!:D

>> hahaha, triple points for rareness!!!!
>>
>> Jawwoo and I spotted a ghost wombat about 2kms out of Warragul.. and it
>> has a red eye. Rabid albino ghost wombat points up for grabs during the
>> Baw Baw Classic!!!

> We saw two wombats in Westerfolds tonight (trying out the new HID ..
> halogens are obsolete .. and how ...). One did two fast passes in
> front of me, and the other ambled along the bridge over the yarra
> while we suggested that it get a move on. No ghosts .. these were
> real!

I've been thesis writing, at work, the past few nights (hey, gotta do
it one day!)

I rode home Tuesday night for the first time at night -- I was quite
looking forward to 30 minutes of pure dark adaption to see just how
damn clear the sky is around here.

But more than a little nervous about the trip home. In the first 5km
of my commute home is a 500m drop. I usually attain 72 or so km/h
down one long straight, and 85km/h down another (picking a very fine
line between bike swallowing pot holes). But I also note that the
local astronomers are given a 60km/h limit between dusk and dawn when
driving observatory cars (and no way would one risk doing silly things
in their own cars). Monday night, I had left my battery connector
home, so caught a lift home at 10:00pm. Roos everywhere, with one
close enounter.

I sat on the brakes all the way down on Tuesday, not getting above
55km/h (and only then when I had a straight stretch where I could see
the side of the road in my 15Watter). I was only going about 40km/h
an hour down a 5% slope when one roo did give me the "I'm about to hop
in front of you, you puny hu-man" look at me. I indeed missed him by
30cm or so -- I wasn't pushing the anchors don't as hard as they could
safely go, but I came pretty close to it.

The rims were hot at the bottom.

Despite the slow going down about 15km of hills, I only lost 10
minutes on my usual time home. Plenty of uphills where it doesn't
matter if it's dark or not.

--
TimC
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

byron27 said:
During my time in Vancouver the problem was deer and bears. Climbing up Mt Seymour and Cypress the reigning fear among cyclists was to come across a bear in the ditch adjacent to the road as you were climbing (12k's at 7.5%) at around 15-20 kph. If the bear freaked and decided to go you, there was no way of out riding them.
In my case, I would give gravity a try. I can't outrun anything up hill, but my mass might stand me in good stead in a down hill sprint if I was attempting to escape an angry bear.

SteveA