Ankle Angle

Russ Reynolds

Mar 10, 2007
I'm sure you may have spoken about this previosly, but without going searching, is there any consensus on changing your ankle angle depending on road angle ie: when you blokes go up a hill do you point your toes down a bit more than when you're riding on the flat ?

Russ Reynolds said:
I'm sure you may have spoken about this previosly, but without going searching, is there any consensus on changing your ankle angle depending on road angle ie: when you blokes go up a hill do you point your toes down a bit more than when you're riding on the flat ?
Warning! n crowley alert!!!!

Russ Reynolds said:

The biomechanics of cycling mean the calf muscle that points the toe also crosses the knee and is recruited in the action. I've seen a lot various foot/ankle, position/movement in my time and I don't think it makes one heck of difference if you are comfortable and your bike is set up correctly.

I point my toe on the odd occasion in conjunction with a surge of additional effort, this effectively lowers the saddle a smig in terms of leg length. I don't know why I do it, it feels like I can accelerate faster with a more stable foot under added power.

Thanks fella's. A couple of Tri riders I know are giving me some pointer and that's what they both do. I've just finished building the bike, now I've got to learn how to ride it. Looking forward to reading your tips.