Ankle Fusion Success

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by SEdwards, Sep 10, 2011.

1. SEdwards

SEdwards New Member

[SIZE= medium]I’m 59 and an avid cyclist. I’ve had a bad left ankle for years. I had two surgeries to remove bone spurs but ankle pain kept getting worse and worse. I was advised to have ankle fusion but was concerned about how it might impact my cycling. My pain finally got so bad; I decided to have the fusion surgery. The surgery was performed on June 30, 2011. I had an arthroscopic procedure with three screws inserted into my ankle. I spent 6 weeks in a cast and on crutches with no weight bearing. On August 8, 2011 the cast came off and I was provided a boot. I was instructed to gradually start putting weight on my left ankle. Over the next 3 weeks, I transitioned to full weight bearing. My ankle was feeling stronger and stronger and I started walking with shoes in the house. Over Labor Day weekend, I decided to take a short spin on my bike with a brace on the ankle. I did 18 miles without pain. I’ve now done 3 more rides and today finished a 35 mile ride. My ankle is still a little numb but it seems to be doing ok when I ride. My dilemma now is what to tell my surgeon when I see him this Friday as he hasn’t told me it was ok yet for me to ride. While I don’t recommend going against the advice of a physician, I did want to share how pleased I am with my fusion. It is weird not being able to bend my ankle but it is so nice to walk and ride without pain. I wish I would have had the procedure months ago. Now I just need to get back in shape!! [/SIZE]

Tags:

2. cbdawson

cbdawson New Member

[SIZE= medium]Hi there,[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]I was very interested in your post and I am too in a position of now contemplating ankle fusion following a badly worn ankle joint following a accident some 14 years ago.. with the surgeon now recommending the only option being to fuse the joint.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= medium]I am a very avid cyclist and need to be able to ride in the future to maintain some sanity..!!![/SIZE]
    [SIZE= medium]My big concern is what impact the loss of flexibility has on cycling.. I would be very great full if you were able to reply to comment on what limitations you have now following the ankle fusion and what performance impact this operation has had on your cycling performance.[/SIZE]