Ankle Pain

hskip11

Apr 15, 2010
I have been having pain in my ankle. It all started about 4 months ago on a ride when an area about one inch above my Ankle bone and about one half inch towards my Achilles. It started as a dull throb and eventually turned into a much more severe throb. After the ride there was noticeable swelling. I went to a sports medicine doctor and he said that it was tendonitis caused by increasing my training too quickly, since I was doing a training camp when the injury occurred.  I then took three weeks completely off the bike and went back to see him because my ankle never felt right again and a,ways had a little bit of a weird feeling to it. This next visit we decided to get an MRI and it showed some "bone marrow edema" and "edema along the inside of my ankle." I then spent 2 weeks in a walking boot and had physical therapy. After another three weeks I started to ride again for an hour a day every-other-day. I did this for 3 weeks and then the pain came back. I took another two weeks off and changed my Speedplay x series pedals because they were worn and allowed my foot to rock laterally. I changed my pedals to speedplay zeros and thought that the problem was gone. After two weeks my ankle felt really good and I thought I was in the clear but now after two rides, with one day in between the pain is back just like it was at the very beginning. The funny thing is that the pain did not happen while on the bike, or even the same day, rather the next day in the afternoon. I am at a complete loss and am wondering if I am going to have to give up cycling at the age of 19. Thanks for your help

hskip11 said:
I have been having pain in my ankle. It all started about 4 months ago on a ride when an area about one inch above my Ankle bone and about one half inch towards my Achilles. It started as a dull throb and eventually turned into a much more severe throb. After the ride there was noticeable swelling. I went to a sports medicine doctor and he said that it was tendonitis caused by increasing my training too quickly, since I was doing a training camp when the injury occurred.  I then took three weeks completely off the bike and went back to see him because my ankle never felt right again and a,ways had a little bit of a weird feeling to it. This next visit we decided to get an MRI and it showed some "bone marrow edema" and "edema along the inside of my ankle." I then spent 2 weeks in a walking boot and had physical therapy. After another three weeks I started to ride again for an hour a day every-other-day. I did this for 3 weeks and then the pain came back. I took another two weeks off and changed my Speedplay x series pedals because they were worn and allowed my foot to rock laterally. I changed my pedals to speedplay zeros and thought that the problem was gone. After two weeks my ankle felt really good and I thought I was in the clear but now after two rides, with one day in between the pain is back just like it was at the very beginning. The funny thing is that the pain did not happen while on the bike, or even the same day, rather the next day in the afternoon. I am at a complete loss and am wondering if I am going to have to give up cycling at the age of 19. Thanks for your help
See you doctor and tell him/her what's going on. If you don't like that, get a second opinion from another doc. No one here has the medical knowledge to diagnose your issue. Certainly, no one here can say whether or not your cycling career is over.