Ankle support

Aaron The Aardv

Guest
I'm looking for a high mileage shoe that will give plenty of ankle support. I often seem to have a
bit of trouble with my ankles (the right one in particular).

Not a great runner but enjoy it all the same. (Typically achieve 1h45m half marathons on a little
bit of training but could probably get closer to 1h35m with a bit more commitment...)

Have used the Asics 2020, 2030, 2040, etc. in the past, but am considering a change... any
recommendations?

Thanks

Aaron

Chat about any sport on http://www.aardvarksport.net/chat or submit your sports site to our sport
search engine... FREE!! ( http://www.aardvarksport.net and click on 'Add Your Site'.

Aaron the Aardvark wrote:
> I'm looking for a high mileage shoe that will give plenty of ankle support. I often seem to have a
> bit of trouble with my ankles (the right one in particular).

I'm not sure that adding support will bring about the improvements you expect. The human body is a
contrary beast at times and sometimes adding support with actually cause increased weakness.

You might do better with *less* support and spending *more* time running on uneven surfaces like
dirt tracks and grass. A few specific exercises to strengthen your ankle muscles (in particular
those which control the turning in and turning out of your foot) wouldn't go amiss either.

I dare say Ozzie will have a lot more to offer.

Tim

--
It's only Usenet. Nobody dies.

In article <[email protected]>, timdownie2000 @yahoo.co.uk says...
> Aaron the Aardvark wrote:
> > I'm looking for a high mileage shoe that will give plenty of ankle support. I often seem to have
> > a bit of trouble with my ankles (the right one in particular).
>
> I'm not sure that adding support will bring about the improvements you expect. The human body is a
> contrary beast at times and sometimes adding support with actually cause increased weakness.
>
> You might do better with *less* support and spending *more* time running on uneven surfaces like
> dirt tracks and grass. A few specific exercises to strengthen your ankle muscles (in particular
> those which control the turning in and turning out of your foot) wouldn't go amiss either.

An ankle strengthening exercise given to me by a doctor some years ago following a sprain, was to
trace the letters of the alphabet on the floor with a tennis-sized ball, controlling it with the
ball of the foot.

Colin

In message <MPG.18f60d8b16cea2749898ac@localhost>, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, timdownie2000 @yahoo.co.uk says...
>> Aaron the Aardvark wrote:
>> > I'm looking for a high mileage shoe that will give plenty of ankle support. I often seem to
>> > have a bit of trouble with my ankles (the right one in particular).
>>
>> I'm not sure that adding support will bring about the improvements you expect. The human body is
>> a contrary beast at times and sometimes adding support with actually cause increased weakness.
>>
>> You might do better with *less* support and spending *more* time running on uneven surfaces like
>> dirt tracks and grass. A few specific exercises to strengthen your ankle muscles (in particular
>> those which control the turning in and turning out of your foot) wouldn't go amiss either.
>
>An ankle strengthening exercise given to me by a doctor some years ago following a sprain, was to
>trace the letters of the alphabet on the floor with a tennis-sized ball, controlling it with the
>ball of the foot.

Another good ankle exerciser is the wobble board, helped me after a bad tear in my left
ankle ligament.
--
Les V60 North Shields Poly AC

Wobble board! brilliant for ankles

| In article <[email protected]>, timdownie2000 @yahoo.co.uk says...
| > Aaron the Aardvark wrote:
| > > I'm looking for a high mileage shoe that will give plenty of ankle support. I often seem to
| > > have a bit of trouble with my ankles (the right one in particular).
| >
| > I'm not sure that adding support will bring about the improvements you expect. The human body is
| > a contrary beast at times and sometimes
adding
| > support with actually cause increased weakness.
| >
| > You might do better with *less* support and spending *more* time running
on
| > uneven surfaces like dirt tracks and grass. A few specific exercises to strengthen your ankle
| > muscles (in particular those which control the
turning
| > in and turning out of your foot) wouldn't go amiss either.
|
| An ankle strengthening exercise given to me by a doctor some years ago following a sprain, was to
| trace the letters of the alphabet on the floor with a tennis-sized ball, controlling it with the
| ball of the foot.
|
| Colin

Thanks, guys... that's all really helpful... I did actually sprain the right ankle just before
Christmas and it took at least two months to properly heal, so these ideas seem like they might be
worth trying... thanks a lot,

Aaron

Chat about any sport on http://www.aardvarksport.net/chat or submit your sports site to our sport
search engine... FREE!! ( http://www.aardvarksport.net and click on 'Add Your Site'.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Aaron the
Aardvark) wrote:

> Thanks, guys... that's all really helpful... I did actually sprain the right ankle just before
> Christmas and it took at least two months to properly heal, so these ideas seem like they might be
> worth trying... thanks a lot,

Or you can take my approach. I have badly sprained both ankles twice each, all inversion sprains.
Now I can happily walk on the outside of my feet with no pain so when I go over I tend not to strain
anything. I get no noticeable pain or strain in the ankles or the supporting muscles when running or
walking so I think I must just have stretched the ligaments a lot.

After I did the third one, all from running on trails, my physio told me to stick to the roads. I
did the last one on a curb while concentrating more on not getting run over than where I was putting
my feet. I got good at hopping home.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby Wellcome Trust Biocentre University of Dundee, Scotland Reverse the Spam and remove
to email me.

Peter Ashby wrote:

> After I did the third one, all from running on trails, my physio told me to stick to the roads. I
> did the last one on a curb while concentrating more on not getting run over than where I was
> putting my feet. I got good at hopping home.

Peter, swap in your physio for a simple taping of the ankle or a more sophisticated support and
continue to run where ever you like.

--
Caveat Lector "the further you go outside, the further you go inside" - B. McKibben Doug Freese
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter Ashby wrote:
>

> > After I did the third one, all from running on trails, my physio told me to stick to the roads.
> > I did the last one on a curb while concentrating more on not getting run over than where I was
> > putting my feet. I got good at hopping home.
>
> Peter, swap in your physio for a simple taping of the ankle or a more sophisticated support and
> continue to run where ever you like.

Oh I don't have a problem any more. This was the physio who picked up the pieces post strain each
time. He did teach me to strap the ankle, I'm well up on using tape to strap joints. I no longer
have a problem with the ankles they aren't weak and they don't hurt, they are simply much more
flexible in inversion than they used to be so that if I do go over it no longer hurts. I see that as
a benefit, not that I would be keen to repeat the double sprains which led to this position. The
physios advice was sound though, I turned the first three on tree roots while running off road.

Peter