Ankling action

SolarEnergy

Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I just read the whole "pulling vs pushing" thread. A bit redundant at some occasions, but still interesting.

I didn't want to add my post to that existing thread, as it is already pretty big.

Since the begining of my general preparation season, I have modified both my position and technique. I introduced a bit more ankling at the end of the push. I use a bit more clave muscles than before. I don't think I was using my calves before, at least not volontary.

My goal, for next summer season, is to use this technique while group riding in a pack mostly and see how it feels. So far, I am only confortable doing it at relatively low intensity, such as L3 Tempo riding and lower. At higher intensity, it just feels strange, and not very productive so far.

Any thoughts?

SolarEnergy said:
Any thoughts?
What is the purpose of your experimentation? Are you hoping to overcome a perceived weakness in your current motion, produce more power, compensate for an injury, just try something new, or something else entirely?

frenchyge said:
What is the purpose of your experimentation? Are you hoping to overcome a perceived weakness in your current motion, produce more power, compensate for an injury, just try something new, or something else entirely?
Good question. Well first, us, swimming coaches, are efficiency freaks:D I have never really had a strong opinion about implication of calves in pedaling, so I wanted to see for myself first.

I set my saddle a bit higher and forward, and plan to point the tip of the foot a bit more toward the ground. Hoping that it will allow my quads to work better, between let's say 12 and 2 o clock (as a result of a higher seat position).

I like to think that by this summer, a very little part of my FT improvement, will be as a result of that modification.

:)

beerco said:
I think people should worry less about their pedal stroke and worry more about getting more fit.
Quite honestly, with a relativly low VO2Max, I am not a gifted cyclist. So I try to include every aspect in my planning. Here are my main concerns, in order of priority :
- Fitness
- Position on the bike
- Pedal stroke efficiency

During the first 3 to 4 months of a new season, I usually spend a bit of time working on the last two, to better concentrate on fitness through the last 8 or 9 months of the season.

That being said, on the "ankling" aspect, you may be right. I just finished a 75 min ez Tempo ride. It feels really strange using my calves that way. So far, it doesn't feel easier, just more complicated.

:)

SolarEnergy said:
Good question. Well first, us, swimming coaches, are efficiency freaks:D I have never really had a strong opinion about implication of calves in pedaling, so I wanted to see for myself first.
By calves and ankling, are you expecting to see a benefit through the bottom of the stroke? I'd expect that I could pull through the bottom of the stroke more powerfully by keeping the foot flat and using the hamstrings (aka, scraping the mud off) since my feet are clipped in and the hammys are a much bigger muscle group.

I think there's value in experimentation and learning, so let us know how it works out.

SolarEnergy said:
Hi,

I just read the whole "pulling vs pushing" thread. A bit redundant at some occasions, but still interesting.

I didn't want to add my post to that existing thread, as it is already pretty big.

Since the begining of my general preparation season, I have modified both my position and technique. I introduced a bit more ankling at the end of the push. I use a bit more clave muscles than before. I don't think I was using my calves before, at least not volontary.

My goal, for next summer season, is to use this technique while group riding in a pack mostly and see how it feels. So far, I am only confortable doing it at relatively low intensity, such as L3 Tempo riding and lower. At higher intensity, it just feels strange, and not very productive so far.

Any thoughts?
I agree with Beerco, but will add that the person I have worked with on my fit specifically sets his positions up to minimize use of the calf because "the gastrocs will suck the glycogen right out of you."

SolarEnergy said:

Don't forget that the pedal motion is constrained my the cranks i.e. there are only so many inches where your leg is active. The only way to get your calves in the mix is to use less quad. The linear range of motion of your femur is something like 4 feet or more, your foot at the ball, something like 6 inches. Does it make sense to use your calve instead of your quad?