Ankling: what is it, and should I learn to do it?

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:29:18 +0100, "wafflycat"
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> Interesting to hear another perspective: thanks!
>>
>> I'm not sure what to do now, though. Perhaps I could try skateboarding
>> to work... ;-)
>>

>Certainly I don't ankle all the time whilst cycling, but I do periodically
>both on & off bike & it helps keep my mobility in the affected ankle.
>Definitely helps reducing the aching too if my ankle is seizing up at any
>time.

Can you explain what's involved i.e. how to do it? Someone tried to
tell me here, but it seemed very complicated - reminiscent of
quadratic equations and stuff - and my head began to swim...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"We cannot let terrorists or rogue nations hold this nation hostile, or
hold our allies hostile."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
This signature was made by SigChanger.
You can find SigChanger at: http://www.phranc.nl/

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:43:36 +0100, Peter Fox
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My 2d.
>
>There are three joints in your lower body each with muscles which work
>in pairs to give both a push and pull action. The actions associated
>with these three joints might be described as:
>* Standing up/sitting down
>* Kicking a football
>* Standing on tiptoe
>Of course we use them all together all the time but there may be
>circumstances where you want to emphasise one and rest another.
>
>If you can pull up as well as push down then you have extra muscles to
>play with.
>
>If you practice a bit with using your tip-toe action then when you want
>to make a special effort you have extra resources, or when you want to
>give your sit-up muscles a breather likewise. Remember this is a matter
>of emphasis not one thing or another.

Ok, thanks. Is the ankling a bit like the tippy toe one?

>I found the kicking-a-football action interesting to experiment with.
>Basically you need to think in your mind of pushing the pedals forward
>at the top of each stroke. However although it could be used to
>increase speed for a short while I didn't persevere with it.
>
>BTW I just potter round the country lanes at 14mph so don't take any of
>the above as gospel. I do like to pile on the coal occasionally and it
>is interesting to see at different times what is the limiting factor -
>sometimes legs ache or are like lead and others the lungs want a rest
>and legs are fine.

Interesting! I do that sometimes when I'm running. I take a sort of
mental/physical inventory to try to work out where the pain is located
and/or whether I'm actually feeling any pain at all. It's surprising
how often it turns out that nothing's actually hurting except my head,
which wants to be doing something else :)

> [And going to the pub is always faster than coming
>back.]

That soiunds right to me..

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"It's no exaggeration to say the undecideds could go one way or another."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

Peewiglet <[email protected]>typed

> >Don't provoke it; with any luck it will settle. Mine settled after I
> >pitched my tent such that my head was below my feet.

> Weird! :)

It wasn't really intentional; I may not be really *brilliant* at
pitching a tent[1]. It was the first time my feet were 'up' in a cool
environment, so maybe it's not that weird.

> >I managed a 400km Audax with it...

> Well that sounds pretty encouraging! :)

> Best wishes,

Ta muchly!

[1] Even if not technically perfect, my tent always stayed up and I
stayed dry...
....I didn't start camping till I was nearly 30. I was never a Girl Guide etc.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:04:39 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On the down stroke, as the cranks pass the horizontal, tilt your foot
>increasingly downwards so that as you go through the bottom of the
>stroke it's quite steeply down - I guess mine goes down to about 70
>degrees downward - and then straighten it as you come back up so that at
>the top of the stroke it's almost horizontal (I still tend to have my
>feet a bit down even at the top of the stroke, but it's a matter of
>what's comfortable to you).
>
>I'm not making any claims that this increases your power, but it does
>increase smoothness, particularly when you're tired, and, like moving
>the hands around on the bars, doing it intermittently eases strains on
>long rides. And, most important of all, flexing the ankle joint really
>helps with the return blood flow up your leg, particularly if your
>circulation isn't the best.

Thank you v. much - I'll try it tomorrow.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

//SigChanger V2.1.0 - Variable signatures

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:51:26 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peewiglet <[email protected]>typed
>
>> >Don't provoke it; with any luck it will settle. Mine settled after I
>> >pitched my tent such that my head was below my feet.

>> Weird! :)

>It wasn't really intentional; I may not be really *brilliant* at
>pitching a tent[1]. It was the first time my feet were 'up' in a cool
>environment, so maybe it's not that weird.
>
>> >I managed a 400km Audax with it...

>> Well that sounds pretty encouraging! :)

>> Best wishes,

>Ta muchly!
>
>[1] Even if not technically perfect, my tent always stayed up and I
>stayed dry...
>...I didn't start camping till I was nearly 30. I was never a Girl Guide etc.

What kind of a tent do you use? An Akto? I have an Akto too, but I'm
currently using a Mountain Equipment Dragonfly :) Luckily for me,
it's v. easy to pitch.

I was a GG, but we didn't do interesting stuff like camping. In fact,
I don't remember that we did very much at all! I seem to remember a
cookery badge, and that was about it...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Will the highways on the internet become more few?."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
This signature was made by SigChanger.
You can find SigChanger at: http://www.phranc.nl/

Peewiglet <[email protected]>typed

> >[1] Even if not technically perfect, my tent always stayed up and I
> >stayed dry...
> >...I didn't start camping till I was nearly 30. I was never a Girl
> >Guide etc.

> What kind of a tent do you use? An Akto? I have an Akto too, but I'm
> currently using a Mountain Equipment Dragonfly :) Luckily for me,
> it's v. easy to pitch.

A Saunders JetPacker Plus, stalwart of lightweight cycle-campers, mostly.

Bought a Hilleberg Nallo a couple of years ago.

--

Peewiglet wrote:

> I was a GG, but we didn't do interesting stuff like camping. In fact,
> I don't remember that we did very much at all! I seem to remember a
> cookery badge, and that was about it...

You need to meet our pal Lisa, who can demonstrate that wilderness
cooking certainly needn't fall under the category of "not very much
at all". Cakes and scones cooked by open fires in reflector ovens
may be unusual for campers, but not impossible for those that know
what they're at <yum!>

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:09:36 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peewiglet <[email protected]>typed
>
>> >[1] Even if not technically perfect, my tent always stayed up and I
>> >stayed dry...
>> >...I didn't start camping till I was nearly 30. I was never a Girl
>> >Guide etc.

>> What kind of a tent do you use? An Akto? I have an Akto too, but I'm
>> currently using a Mountain Equipment Dragonfly :) Luckily for me,
>> it's v. easy to pitch.

>A Saunders JetPacker Plus, stalwart of lightweight cycle-campers, mostly.

A connoisseur's tent.

>Bought a Hilleberg Nallo a couple of years ago.

Ooh, and another one! What d'you think of the Nallo? I'd like to have
one, but I really can't justify another tent. (Probably...)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"When I was coming up it was a dangerous world, and you knew exactly
who they were. It was us versus them, and it was clear who them was.
Today we are not so sure who the they are, but we know they're there."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:18:50 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You need to meet our pal Lisa, who can demonstrate that wilderness
>cooking certainly needn't fall under the category of "not very much
>at all". Cakes and scones cooked by open fires in reflector ovens
>may be unusual for campers, but not impossible for those that know
>what they're at <yum!>

That sounds wonderful! A couple of months ago in the Lakes one weekend
I ran into a bloke who was walking LeJog, and I asked him what he was
eating. It sounded fantastic! He was combining dried staples like
pasta and cous cous and polenta with fresh and dried herbs and
cheeses: it sounded much more sophisticated than anything I ever eat
at home!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

Peewiglet <[email protected]>typed

> >A Saunders JetPacker Plus, stalwart of lightweight cycle-campers, mostly.

> A connoisseur's tent.

Fine for solo cycle-camping. Nominally a two man tent; I have *never*
been so intimate with *anyone* that I'd share the limited space
therein...

> >Bought a Hilleberg Nallo a couple of years ago.

> Ooh, and another one! What d'you think of the Nallo? I'd like to have
> one, but I really can't justify another tent. (Probably...)

I like it; only used once. probably surplus to requirements[1] and open
to negotiation now...

[1] Worsening MS + partner who doesn't like camping.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

> On the down stroke, as the cranks pass the horizontal, tilt your foot
> increasingly downwards so that as you go through the bottom of the
> stroke it's quite steeply down - I guess mine goes down to about 70
> degrees downward - and then straighten it as you come back up so that at
> the top of the stroke it's almost horizontal (I still tend to have my
> feet a bit down even at the top of the stroke, but it's a matter of
> what's comfortable to you).
>
> I'm not making any claims that this increases your power, but it does
> increase smoothness, particularly when you're tired, and, like moving
> the hands around on the bars, doing it intermittently eases strains on
> long rides. And, most important of all, flexing the ankle joint really
> helps with the return blood flow up your leg, particularly if your
> circulation isn't the best.

I was thinking about this on the ride home yesterday, and watched my legs as
I cycled. I don't think I "ankle" as such, but I could definitely see a
change in ankle bend during the pedal rotation, and I could feel it once I
paid attention. My calves have also grown since I've increased my mileage,
so I think your calves must be involved in cycling effort.

Peewiglet wrote in <[email protected]>

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:09:36 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Bought a Hilleberg Nallo a couple of years ago.

> Ooh, and another one! What d'you think of the Nallo? I'd like to have
> one, but I really can't justify another tent. (Probably...)
>

> Best wishes,

A friend and I have just spent 3 weeks cycling and camping in Holland.
We shared a Nallo, which not only kept us dry, but warm and insect-free
(except when we pitched with an un-noticed black-ant nest in the
vestibule...).

A most excellent tent.
--
Regards