Ankling

Originally posted by n crowley
Perhaps A. Bradley
could explain, why when discussing or researching pedalling
styles, Anquetil's has always been completely ignored. Does
he like everybody believe that Anquetil's success was not
entirely due to his pedalling style or to what would he attribute
the successful cycling career of this rider.

I'd back you up on the Anquetil thing if I could, Noel. To him I owe one of the greatest rushes I've had (no, not amphetamines 2lap ;) ). He was in the following car (with Amar) when I won my first race in France. I didn't know he was there until the car drew alongside and he gave me a time check. Merci Monsieur...wait a minute wasn't that...

Here's something for you: I was told by a bloke who raced with him that Anquetil had "de ces reins" meaning "a great lower back". You could try and work that into the back pain argument perhaps.

Originally posted by andrewbradley
I'd back you up on the Anquetil thing if I could, Noel. To him I owe one of the greatest rushes I've had (no, not amphetamines 2lap ;) ). He was in the following car (with Amar) when I won my first race in France. I didn't know he was there until the car drew alongside and he gave me a time check. Merci Monsieur...wait a minute wasn't that...

Here's something for you: I was told by a bloke who raced with him that Anquetil had "de ces reins" meaning "a great lower back". You could try and work that into the back pain argument perhaps.
Great story!!!!

Originally posted by 2LAP
How about you don't SPAM until the 'good time' is up? Check the forum rules on SPAM.
As yet you haven't posted any facts. Its the mystery that I find hard to swallow.

Please read the points 1 to 7 again. You have done no research and seem unable to describe or discuss this 'technique' in any way. Andrews posts contribute positively to this thread, yours do not.

This comment shows how little you know about cycling; Anquetil was not only a great cyclist because of the way he pedaled... he was also very fit and wasn't he a drug user? Given that you can do this technique, why are you not a rider of Anquetil's level?

I'm not trying to argue or be rude; just trying to avoid you SPAMING and TROLLING.

Fear not, I don't intend wasting any more time in anwering those
questions which I have already answered in earlier postings or
in trying to get the message across.
Q.2 is typical of the difficulty. If readers like yourself can see no
difference between a pedalling technique in which direct
downward pedal pressure is never used and that of round
pedalling, need any more be said on the subject. Maybe sometime
you should sit down and to try to describe on paper how round
pedalling is done because it's obvious that you do not understand
even that technique. Pedalling is not a pill that can be popped
into your mouth, you have got to use your brain.
On the subject of pills, while competitors in all sports will deny
taking drugs and try to prove their innocence by sometimes
claiming that it was their special training and technique that was
responsible for their improved performance, Anquetil was the
opposite and claimed that drugs were a necessity and never
mentioned his superior style of pedalling, I wonder why?
It must have given him great satisfaction, knowing that he was
a step above all other riders when it came to continuous solo
riding even after wining and dining into the early hours.

Originally posted by n crowley
On the subject of pills, while competitors in all sports will deny
taking drugs and try to prove their innocence by sometimes
claiming that it was their special training and technique that was
responsible for their improved performance, Anquetil was the
opposite and claimed that drugs were a necessity

You illustrate an interesting point here Noel. The French seem to feel food and drink alone are not sufficient to get you through daily life, never mind a TdF.

Reminds me of a banner I saw on the Tour route in 98 -
"Festina. Tous soignes, aucun dope" roughly translated "Justlooking after themselves, not doped".

Yeah right.

Originally posted by 2LAP
Originally posted by andrewbradley ...I didn't know he was there until the car drew alongside and he gave me a time check. Merci Monsieur...wait a minute wasn't that...
Great story!!!!
Me too! I love 1st hand cycling stories, whether present day or from the past. Andrew (and anyone else) more, please.

Has anyone measured the effects of Powerpedals? http://www.power.no/ I use them and wouldn't be without.
Originally posted by andrewbradley
Gobsmacked's the word. An inverse ankling machine!

I don't know if there's money in all these new systems around at the moment but maybe we could get together and invent the AnquetilPedal. Pedals are maintained near vertical.
:) The advantage of the PowerPedal is that you don't have to hold your feet near vertical; on normal pedals you have to raise your heel on the upstroke before there's any power, with these the clutch locks and power is transmitted.
Originally posted by Squint In August '97, the German Tour magazine used an SRM to test Power Pedals. They found that power and speed on the same climb were the same, i.e., the pedals did nothing. All these cranks and pedals are based on the same flawed assumption.
I guess I'm not surprised; my own experience is that 90+% of the time one is pedalling too rapidly for the effect to be noticeable. When I find it does work is in high-gear sprinting/attacking, especially uphill. Exactly when I want it to work!

I suppose all decent riders can spin the back wheel in a flat-out, out-of-the-saddle effort up hill. I couldn't before these pedals, but now I have to be careful to keep my arms extended so that my weight is over the back wheel, otherwise I can spin it so badly I come completely off-line and receive the usual kind words :) from my fellow competitors.

Originally posted by Roy Gardiner
I love 1st hand cycling stories, whether present day or from the past. Andrew (and anyone else) more, please.

I had my first continental crash at Poulidors feet (virtually). What a sureal grin he did have.

Have you read "The rider" by Dutch chess grandmaster and novelist Tim Krabbe?
Best cycling related read I've had by a mile. I could be biased because i know the location, but this book is a deterent to anyone thinking they might write about cycling. As useful to the novice as any training bible and a lot more exciting.