Ann Arbor Bikesport Triathlon Race Report

Bob Haase

Guest
I just did the sprint triathlon in Ann Arbor, MI and compiled this race
report. I hope you find it entertaining!

Bikesport Ann Arbor Triathlon. June 12, 2005.

The air temperature was in the mid-70s at the start of the race, with
the humidity hovering around the 80-90% range; hot and muggy for June in
Michigan. The water temperature was 82 degrees, so no wet suits were
allowed. I didn’t really mind, since I figured the swim would be cooler
without a wetsuit.

I was in the second wave with the rest of the 50 and over men along with
all of the women. The 30-39 men started five minutes in front of us, so
hopefully I’d be able to catch some of them on the bike. I love passing
people on the bike, and of course, dislike being passed.

I was having a little trouble with my heart rate just before the start.
I suffer from occasional atrial fibrillation and had been in an
irregular rhythm since 6:00 PM last evening. My episodes tend to last
till morning and then my heart rate reverts to its normal sinus rhythm.
Five seconds before the start, I was still waiting to be normal.

I started the swim at the rear of the pack, figuring I’d take it easy
and see if my heart went back to its normal rhythm. If it didn’t, I’d
reluctantly drop out after the swim. I started swimming and in less
than a minute I felt my heart reach a steady, normal rhythm. Excellent!

I encountered two swimmers who zigzagged back and forth in front of me,
taking turns running into me. I stopped and let them pass then swam to
the outside around them. Once on the outside, I sighted the far buoy
and picked up my pace a little. I felt relaxed and concentrated on my
stroke mechanics, looking up occasionally to see if I was still on
course. I slowly picked up my pace over the course of the half-mile
swim, and finished in about the middle of the pack.

My first transition was pretty darn good. It took a little over 2 ½
minutes and that included a 100-meter run up a hill to the transition
area. I was riding a fairly new bike (new to me, but definitely not
new), using fairly new shoes, so I didn’t feel comfortable starting with
the shoes in the pedals. I ran in my bike shoes to the mounting line
and clicked in and took off.

I had acquired a Zipp 2001 bike during the winter and had spent the
spring getting it ready. This was its maiden race with me at the helm.
I had a disk wheel mounted on the rear and a trispoke wheel on the
front. I knew I had to ride well to keep from embarrassing myself, so I
started off fast.

I did all right. I passed tons of riders on the fourteen-mile bike
route and was only passed by three. The bike course was what I’d call
gently rolling. There were only a couple of hills where I had to shift
to the small ring, but there were lots of ups and downs. The Zipp bike
felt especially fast on the downhills where I found myself in the 53/12
combination fairly frequently.

It probably would have been wise to conserve more energy, but I just
couldn’t restrain myself. I did leave my shoes on the bike at the
dismount line, running in my bare feet to my spot in the transition area.

I racked my bike and removed my helmet. I slipped on one shoe, snugged
up the lace lock, and then tried to slip the other shoe on. The tongue
slid up under the laces and I spent about fifteen seconds smoothing it
back out! Oh well, I guess I needed more practice (or at least some
practice!).

The temperature had climbed to near 80 degrees now and the humidity
hadn’t dropped at all. This was to be my hottest run of the year so far
and I knew it wouldn’t be pretty. I kept moving, but that’s about all I
can say I did. The run was a true trail run with small ups and downs
and one sizable hill. Luckily there was plenty of shade, so it wasn’t
as bad as it could have been. I started out at a nine minute per mile
pace and slowed down from there. I ended up running (jogged) the 5-mile
run at a 10-minute/mile pace. I watched helplessly as five men in my
age group passed me during the last two miles of the run. I just didn’t
have anything left to respond with as they trotted on by.

The downhill finish was a welcome sight. I managed not to lose any more
places and broke the tape at 1:57:30. I passed through the chute and
headed for the lake where I plunged in to the wonderfully cool 82-degree
water!

I managed a mid-pack finish, which is actually pretty good for me. I
had a great time (well, at least on the bike!) at the race. Elite
Endeavors puts it on with help from the Ann Arbor Triathlon Club (I
think) and they do a really nice job.

Bob Haase wrote:
<snip>
> I managed a mid-pack finish, which is actually pretty good for me. I
> had a great time (well, at least on the bike!) at the race. Elite
> Endeavors puts it on with help from the Ann Arbor Triathlon Club (I
> think) and they do a really nice job.

Nice report. I'm impressed by your guts in starting the race while in
a-fib. Sounds pretty scary to me.

Dally

Dally wrote:
> Bob Haase wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I managed a mid-pack finish, which is actually pretty good for me. I
>> had a great time (well, at least on the bike!) at the race. Elite
>> Endeavors puts it on with help from the Ann Arbor Triathlon Club (I
>> think) and they do a really nice job.

> Nice report. I'm impressed by your guts in starting the race while in
> a-fib. Sounds pretty scary to me.
>
> Dally

I would definately have dropped out had it continued (per my doctor's
instructions), but I'd already traveled 500 miles to do the race and
payed my entry fee. Besides, I have an episode about once every 10 days
so it's not scary at all any more. I figure that I am still allowed
to work and to go for walks when I'm in afib, so an easy swim isn't that
much more taxing.

Bob

>> Nice report. I'm impressed by your guts in starting the race while in
>> a-fib. Sounds pretty scary to me.

Me too

Of course now you can ask the people that finished close to you (like
the five that barely passed you at the end) and say:

"I started the race in afib... whats your excuse" ;-)

--
To email me, remove the greeting from my email address.

(for athletes) The Digital Athletic Log http://rogercortesi.com/athleticlog/

(for nerds) The Online Equation Editor http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/