Announcement

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
Guys, i am givin' up the booze.

Saturday was the old 35th B/day. Needless to say i was jugged. Very drunk.

Sunday was mental. I can't handle the booze anymore. I can drink it okay, gallons of the stuff, but the hangovers are just awful.

I am too old for this ****.

So in a probably vain attempt i am going to give it up for a while. My beer gut is getting out of control and if i dont give it up now all is lost. I dont want to be middle aged and be over weight. Diabetes runs in my family, i dont want it.

So, no beer or whisky for me.

I will report on when i have another drink. It maybe in a few months, it maybe in a few minutes. Who knows? But i will try.

On Friday i have to attend a party. Its thrown by a group of Filipino nurses in the local hospital (i know, what a chore!) and there will be lots of booze, luckily i am driving so i may be safe...

anyway,
Slainte

just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, i am not an alcoholic, i dont have a problem...i just need to get fit.

how long has it been now?...

Well done. I have pretty well packed it in as well, maybe 10 beers a year now, I just don't really like it anymore.

It just makes me tired now.

janiejones said:
Well done. I have pretty well packed it in as well, maybe 10 beers a year now, I just don't really like it anymore.

It just makes me tired now.
cheers mate, i just want to remove it from my lifestyle. When my wife was pregnant i didnt drink at all for 8 weeks. Just incase i was required to drive her to the hostpital in the middle of the night. I felt great.

A lot of it is to do with social pressure and now that the football season is over i'll be less tempted to spend my afternoons in the pub watching the footie.

MountainPro said:

Sunday was mental. I can't handle the booze anymore. I can drink it okay, gallons of the stuff, but the hangovers are just awful.

So in a probably vain attempt i am going to give it up for a while. My beer gut is getting out of control and if i dont give it up now all is lost. I dont want to be middle aged and be over weight. Diabetes runs in my family, i dont want it.

I will report on when i have another drink. It maybe in a few months, it maybe in a few minutes. Who knows? But i will try.

On Friday i have to attend a party. Its thrown by a group of Filipino nurses in the local hospital (i know, what a chore!) and there will be lots of booze, luckily i am driving so i may be safe...

anyway,
Slainte

Pro, you should give up telling falsehoods first, then drinking. :D
But seriously I seldom if ever have any alcohol during the week and it works fine for me.
Last week I was in Federal court all week and did break training due to stress related ills but I am back on track now.
Either way good luck with the lifestyle change.

I've started drinking too much as well. It's either red wine by night or guiness. I average 3 - 4 glasses of wine every evening but it's still 13 per cent.
It hasn't affected my fitness but I suspect I do drink more than any cyclist would.
You don't need to give it up totally - just cut back.

MountainPro said:

anyway,
Slainte

Carrera said:
I've started drinking too much as well. It's either red wine by night or guiness. I average 3 - 4 glasses of wine every evening but it's still 13 per cent.
It hasn't affected my fitness but I suspect I do drink more than any cyclist would.
You don't need to give it up totally - just cut back.
thanks for all the replys..

i am partial to the red wine also and have a drink maybe 5 nights a week. Most of the time it is just one or two bottles of beer but its the weekends when i drink...friday night, saturday night and a sunday afternoon in the pub. It means that my weekend cycling is invariably conducted with a hangover. I can manage that but i simply cant get up in the mornings. I am constantly tired and lack quality sleep.

I told the wife that things will change, but she says its not a problem...she isnt a drinker like me.

Sure,it's pointless to continue doing something that you no longer enjoy.
The good news is,if you decide to take a drink after a long period of abstinence...it will taste bloody great!The other good news is...one drink will satisfy where once only a skinful would.Presuming,of course that you aren't an alcoholic.I don't think you're an alcoholic.
I had to give up for a year (running a business and working 15hrs/day) and I didn't miss it...much.
Now that I have the freedom I found I have a bit less inclination but I still enjoy it and if I now drink less now...the quality has improved.
Selflessly,I will take up the slack and drink your share. :D
Good luck with the training and remember,it's not a beergut...it's a special cycling airbag.
Steve

MountainPro said:

i am partial to the red wine also and have a drink maybe 5 nights a week. Most of the time it is just one or two bottles of beer but its the weekends when i drink...friday night, saturday night and a sunday afternoon in the pub. It means that my weekend cycling is invariably conducted with a hangover. I can manage that but i simply cant get up in the mornings. I am constantly tired and lack quality sleep.

I told the wife that things will change, but she says its not a problem...she isnt a drinker like me.
And the bad news is ...the hangovers get worse the older you get.
Quite unfair really.
:(

MountainPro said:

I had a schedule similar to yours up until a 2 or 3 years ago. One or two drinks a night with dinner / television, etc. And a couple times a week it was more than that. I never figured it was enough to affect my weight / fitness.

Then I took a little trip to Iraq for over a year - and of course was completely dry the whole time - and too busy to care much about it really. Then when I got back I decided it was pretty liberating to not really care about the booze too much. I also re-dedicated myself to more serious exercise upon my return. In the ensuing 6 months I lost 26 pounds, drastically increased my fitness and really felt great.

I still have drinks at social occasions, but by hardly ever having a beer around the house I don't need to feel guilty on the rare occasions I do indulge. So I feel very much better - cycle much better - and still occasionally get sloshed without feeling a bit of guilt. Those 1 or 2 beers a night really rack up the calories over time I think (especially when they are 0.5 liter Hefeweisens).

Good luck.

MountainPro said:

anyway,
Slainte
I felt the same way on my 35th...and 40th....45th...etc. I take the oath every morning after. That usually lasts until the next birthday party. Not necessarily my birthday, anyone's will do.
And remember, if you have to drive drunk, drive fast and get off the street as soon as possible.

MountainPro said:

anyway,
Slainte

Pro - yeah the alcohol doesn't help the cycling.

I am a very moderate drinker - I would have three/four pints of alcohol per week at most.
Getting old ya'see - can't process alcohol anymore.
But I also like being out on my bike too - so it's a trade off.

Best of luck with the abstenance : until next Friday anyhow!!!!!!

stevebaby said:
...and remember,it's not a beergut...it's a special cycling airbag.
Or a gas tank for an ass-whupping machine. :D

I think it's just a natural evolution, when your body and mind get fed up with being wiped out all the time. After years of it, you just get interested in other things and getting bombed loses its appeal. At least that's the way it was for me.

Good Ruck, MP!

Wurm said:
Or a gas tank for an ass-whupping machine. :D

I think it's just a natural evolution, when your body and mind get fed up with being wiped out all the time. After years of it, you just get interested in other things and getting bombed loses its appeal. At least that's the way it was for me.

Good Ruck, MP!
thanks guys for the support, i feel like a total idiot posting this, slightly embarrased but it is designed to help me through on those weekends when i really fancy a few beers.

my liver needs a break.

We're all human. I consider I look after my health to a reasonable degree but I'm by no means a saint. The truth is I enjoy a drink and I probably drink more than I ought to.
Not only that, but I stuff myself full of chocolate in the evenings, eat way too much junk food (fish and chips last night!) and I also knock coffee back more than I should.
I keep telling myself my many miles of cycling and my gym sessions negates a lot of my vices and saves me from becoming fat and unhealthy.
My advice is this: If you like a drink, then enjoy life while you can but in moderation. Try red wine which is good for the heart and guiness which is also pretty healthy but avoid actually getting drunk too often with friends and overdoing it.
From what you confessed, I agree you do need to cut back and focus on your cycling. Still that doesn't mean you should join a convent and become teetotal. Plus if you set yourself impossible goals you won't be able to keep them.
Finally, I did go through a very bad stage when I lived in Russia. I started to drink really heavy, beer, vodka and more vodka. I was turning up to teach classes half-cut after rolling out of the metro. I'm glad I got out of that habit. I once saw a welshman drink Russian vodka with us and he just passed out flat on the floor. He put one foot in front of the other and then he was out like a light.

MountainPro said: