Power meters · Public discussion

Announcing Version 2.1 WKO+ with Performance Manager!

Started by Hunter w/kg · · Last activity · 72 posts · 9,169 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
16 August 2006
Last activity
8 October 2006
Original author
Hunter w/kg
Posts
72
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,169
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 72
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Thanks Hunter! I read that and was just wondering what it actually changed (e.g. I changed the values and didn't see a change in the charts). I can't wait to see Andy's write up on the science behind it. Considering I "let" him outsprint me a few weeks ago I think he owes me one. 😄

    Justin

  2. xcmntgeek said:

    Considering I "let" him outsprint me a few weeks ago I think he owes me one. 😄

    Justin

    You *must* have let him outsprint, as he's one poooor sprinter (although marginally better than me). (i think "sprinter" is an oxymoron where me and Andy are concerned!).

    Ric "i once won a bunch sprint, and was laughing so hard i was in hysterics"

  3. ric_stern/RST said:

    You *must* have let him outsprint, as he's one poooor sprinter (although marginally better than me). (i think "sprinter" is an oxymoron where me and Andy are concerned!).

    Ditto. When I see 1K+, I go, "Yahoo!"😄

  4. RapDaddyo said:

    Ditto. When I see 1K+, I go, "Yahoo!"😄

    if you mean 1000 W, i ain't been anywhere near that! 🙁

  5. ric_stern/RST said:

    if you mean 1000 W, i ain't been anywhere near that! 🙁

    Yes, I mean 1000W. I'm trying to raise my 20sec MP to 1KW, but I haven't done it yet. I'm only ~850W and the second hand sure moves slowly when I get over ~750W.😉

  6. I know! Gogo slowtwitch! 5sec Numbers (mine):
    6 little chaingring sprints (39-17 if I remember):
    930
    960
    1008
    1020
    984
    993

    3 All out, from a good speed:
    1021
    1150
    1221

    My power numbers always get better, man I'm weird.
    ------------
    <begin anti thread hijack>
    Anyone want to tell me what the starting point values numbers actually do? Pulease?
    <end anti thread hijack/>

    Thanks,
    Justin

  7. Spunout said:

    Don't forget the predictive curve doesn't count your training from today to that peak. So it forces you to back off and taper so that the yellow curve stays high.

    I guess it's not this simple. Sure I may rest and my form will rise. But sadly so will my weight. But does this predict what my peak power will rise to?

    Hamish Ferguson
    Cycling Coach

  8. I have a question regarding setting up the most accurate PM chart. Should I include dates for as much data as I have ? It appears that the further back I go the more accurate the chart seems to be in terms of predicting my past peaks.

    The downside is that the chart becomes very busy 🙁

  9. xcmntgeek said:

    I know! Gogo slowtwitch! 5sec Numbers (mine):
    6 little chaingring sprints (39-17 if I remember):
    930
    960
    1008
    1020
    984
    993

    3 All out, from a good speed:
    1021
    1150
    1221

    Considering that we were basically dead-even in the small chainring warm up sprints, and that I beat you in the two all-out sprints that I did, these data clearly disprove WarrenG's claim that it all about absolute power. For example, on that 2nd-to-last sprint (where I wound it up to 28-30 mph for ~1 min before we sprinted), I only managed to produce 760 W for 5 s (versus your 1150 W), whereas on that last one, where we sprinted after coasting down the hill, I only produced 904 W for 5 s (versus your 1221 W). Factor in our differences in body mass, though, and things make a lot more sense.

    xcmntgeek said:


    <begin anti thread hijack>
    Anyone want to tell me what the starting point values numbers actually do? Pulease?
    <end anti thread hijack/>

    The answer to that question, and a lot more, can now be found here:

    http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/performancemanagerscience.asp

    In short, however, the starting values allow you to "seed" the calculation of CTL, ATL, and TSB, so that you don't have to wait until you have 3+ mo of data before having an idea of where you stand.

  10. Everything looks great in the v2.1 put there is just something I can't figure...
    I got a lot of Polar files from my time trial bike without a PM (and from my normal road bike when the SRM had a battery change) - but I can't figure how to import them correctly in the program. I looked at the homepage - and it says that each files is one HRM file + another file - and these should be named the same.
    BUT - the polar software - by default - named the files differently...

    And there is quite a lot of files - it just seems like a LOT of work. Anybody with a quick fix??

  11. acoggan said:

    <snip>

    The answer to that question, and a lot more, can now be found here:

    http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/performancemanagerscience.asp

    In short, however, the starting values allow you to "seed" the calculation of CTL, ATL, and TSB, so that you don't have to wait until you have 3+ mo of data before having an idea of where you stand.

    Awesome! thanks Andy.

    justin

  12. LarsEjaas said:

    Everything looks great in the v2.1 put there is just something I can't figure...
    I got a lot of Polar files from my time trial bike without a PM (and from my normal road bike when the SRM had a battery change) - but I can't figure how to import them correctly in the program. I looked at the homepage - and it says that each files is one HRM file + another file - and these should be named the same.
    BUT - the polar software - by default - named the files differently...

    And there is quite a lot of files - it just seems like a LOT of work. Anybody with a quick fix??


    I go to the Polar directory and import the "hrm" files (just select all of them and import them). There are another set of files (".pdd" or something) that I don't import and I don't know what they are.

  13. What does TSS/d mean relating to the ATL and CTL? If my ATL is, let's say, 95tss/d, what this number exactly referring to? Does it mean I have accumlated 95tss that training day when, in fact, my actual TSS is somewhere in the upper 190TSS????

    xcmntgeek said:

    Awesome! thanks Andy.

    justin

  14. BlueJersey said:

    What does TSS/d mean relating to the ATL and CTL? If my ATL is, let's say, 95tss/d, what this number exactly referring to? Does it mean I have accumlated 95tss that training day when, in fact, my actual TSS is somewhere in the upper 190TSS????

    TSS/d refers to a daily running average training load. For example, a weekly routine comprised of 4 150TSS workouts and 3 rest days would provide a training load of 600/7 = 86 TSS/d.

    ATL and CTL will eventually build up to the TSS/d value if the same routine is maintained for sufficient time. A 700TSS/wk routine will yield an ATL and CTL of 100 each, eventually.

  15. Thanks. That makes a lot sense now.

    frenchyge said:

    TSS/d refers to a daily running average training load. For example, a workout routine comprised of 4 150TSS workouts and 3 rest days would provide a training load of 600/7 = 86 TSS/d.

    ATL and CTL will eventually build up to the TSS/d value if the same routine is maintained for sufficient time. A 700TSS/wk routine will yield an ATL and CTL of 100 each, eventually.

  16. I like the TSS and IF in the Calendar.

    Changing the ATL number does not seem to make the peaks in TSB really change. Only seem to make it harder to read if you go shorter and easier to read but more blunted points if you go longer. I think 7 is a good balnce at least for the two atheltes I have looked into so far.

    This made the last upgrade worth it.

  17. Any chance that we can get NP as an Detail Data series Option?

    As it is more telling than Mean Maximal or Average power.

  18. jetnjeff said:

    Any chance that we can get NP as an Detail Data series Option?

    As it is more telling than Mean Maximal or Average power.

    Sure, you have it now! Just add a data series and choose CONTENT>MEAN MAXIMAL and CHANNEL> NORMALIZED POWER and customize the rest. You will be set to go. I would suggest NP 60.

    Hunter

  19. Your the best thanks!

  20. I'm slightly confused with some of the values that need to be entered into Performance Manager 😕

    The CTL and ATL constants are fine (I've just left them at 42 and 7) but the starting values has me confused.

    The recommendation is to multiply average hours per day, lets say 2 hours, by 0.50 to 0.75 which would give 1.0 or 1.50 (am I looking at this the right way 😕 ) but only integer numbers can be entered (1 or 2 etc) so how would you enter say 1.5 😕

    Any help or advice would be great

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.