Announcing Version 2.1 WKO+ with Performance Manager!



zaskar

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
869
0
0
frenchyge said:
Well, now you're talking about the *time constants* used in the calculations, rather than the starting values for CTL and ATL themselves. Anyway....

Yes, that wouldn't make any sense because it would produce the same time constant for both ATL and CTL. Are you sure that's what the guidance really says? IIRC, the CTL time constant should be several times larger than the ATL constant.


Yea French, i read it here http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/howtoperformancemanager.asp

I had been beating myself up going by that guide.with 0 in CTL & ATL makes my PMC look like it makes sense.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
zaskar said:
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. That's clearly either a typo, or an intentionally poorly written sentence to guide people through the poorly labelled window.

Leave CTL Constant at 42, and ATL Constant at 7. Starting values should be zero if you have lots of historical PM data to import, or *70* (not .70) times the average number of hours per ridden *per day.* 7 hours riding per week (~500 TSS/wk) should use starting values of ~70 for CTL and ATL.
 

zaskar

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
869
0
0
frenchyge said:
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. That's clearly either a typo, or an intentionally poorly written sentence to guide people through the poorly labelled window.

Leave CTL Constant at 42, and ATL Constant at 7. Starting values should be zero if you have lots of historical PM data to import, or *70* (not .70) times the average number of hours per ridden *per day.* 7 hours riding per week (~500 TSS/wk) should use starting values of ~70 for CTL and ATL.


No need to be sorry, i know you are just being helpful and i appreciate it thanks!
 

acoggan

Member
Jul 4, 2003
3,047
18
0
joemw said:
i would just like to state for the record, that both myself and my cheif analyst are a bit peeved that he can't look at my files i've downloaded to wko on my laptop with his version of the CP software, which is the previous version. lame way to force people to upgrade. :(

Unfortunately, it was necessary to change the .wko file format, as it now include summary information about the ride that is extracted to populate the additional fields in the Calendar. Previously, it only contained the raw data, with everything else calculated anew from that raw data eahc and every time a change or update occurred.
 

amartinez

New Member
Mar 1, 2006
75
0
0
acoggan said:
Unfortunately, it was necessary to change the .wko file format, as it now include summary information about the ride that is extracted to populate the additional fields in the Calendar. Previously, it only contained the raw data, with everything else calculated anew from that raw data eahc and every time a change or update occurred.
But the problem that joemw reports could be avoided adding an option for the old .wko format in Export Copy As...
 

RapDaddyo

Well-Known Member
May 17, 2005
5,088
82
48
79
amartinez said:
But the problem that joemw reports could be avoided adding an option for the old .wko format in Export Copy As...
It's not as elegant, but one can export in CSV format and import the CSV file into the prior version of CP.
 

giannip

New Member
Jul 7, 2005
364
0
0
This looks like a great product but for a guy who only has a HR (for now!), is it worthwhile buying this tool?

I'm looking for something to plan for next season (from the end of this month).

Can I do this with this product ?
 

Alex Simmons

Active Member
Mar 12, 2006
2,471
40
38
giannip said:
This looks like a great product but for a guy who only has a HR (for now!), is it worthwhile buying this tool?

I'm looking for something to plan for next season (from the end of this month).

Can I do this with this product ?
CP is a great product but it is predominantly a retrospective analysis tool for power data and not designed as a forward planning tool (although the new Performance Manager Chart function is a tremendous step towards that ultimate end point).

I did import a couple of year's worth of Polar HRM/ride data from my pre-PM days but that was so I could compare annual ride time/distance and maintain my diary of events/training commentary back for a few years in the one software package. The HR data is pretty much useless for any sort of retro analysis. Without power data you really won't get much more than a ride diary and will miss out on the most important features of the product (but having said that - I don't know much about the new functionality within CP to handle sports data other than cycling).

If you haven't already, buy the book "Training & Racing with a Power Meter" and maybe Friel's "The Cyclist's Training Bible". They would probably be as good an investment as any.

While some may not agree with every detail Friel prescribes, no one can argue about the basic principles he sets out: Such as goal setting, planning, periodisation, testing, training stress (frequency, duration, intensity & workload) to generate various physiological adaptations, principles of training (individualisation, progression, overload and specificity) and peaking etc that are outlined in the book.
 

amartinez

New Member
Mar 1, 2006
75
0
0
RapDaddyo said:
It's not as elegant, but one can export in CSV format and import the CSV file into the prior version of CP.
Yes, but you loose the ranges/interval markers.
 

joemw

New Member
Jan 12, 2006
97
0
0
43
amartinez said:
Yes, but you loose the ranges/interval markers.
In the end, it's not a big issue. The fact that the software is available to the public and continuing to improve is by FAR much more important and useful to me/us. It's just that my "chief analyst" doesn't make much money and it's a PIA to spend another $75 that is seemingly doing nothing for him (nothing but allowing him to look at my files that is!). We'll get over it.

I would still highly recommend this software to anybody that is serious about training with power data.
 

Alex Simmons

Active Member
Mar 12, 2006
2,471
40
38
joemw said:
It's just that my "chief analyst" doesn't make much money and it's a PIA to spend another $75 that is seemingly doing nothing for him (nothing but allowing him to look at my files that is!). We'll get over it.

I would still highly recommend this software to anybody that is serious about training with power data.
The upgrade is $48.50 for athelte edition, $78.50 for unlimited. Maybe you need to "pay" your analyst a bit more;).
 

zaskar

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
869
0
0
Alex Simmons said:
The upgrade is $48.50 for athelte edition, $78.50 for unlimited. Maybe you need to "pay" your analyst a bit more;).


That is "Chief Analyst"