Annoying click while pedalling

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Z The Wheelman, May 9, 2006.

  1. I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    threads...

    I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    sprocket.

    I checked the BB, it's fine. all the bolts, both spindle and chainwheel
    are any-siezed and tight. I thought maybe it might be a bad tooth, but
    the rings are nearly new, and there are no broke, bent chipped or worn
    teeth. In fact, the black anodizing hasn't even worn off yet. Pedals are
    also fine.

    The only thing I can think of is the shift ramps and or the pins on
    either guilty or the adjacent sprocket are the culprit. Has any one here
    had or heard of this? I have Stronglight rings an a KMH chain, if it's
    any help.

    If I know it's harmless, I can ignore it, but not until I know what it
    is.

    - -
    Comments and opinions compliments of,
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    My web Site:
    http "colon-slash-slash" geocities "dot" com "slash" czcorner

    To E-mail me:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    Tags:

  2. "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    > threads...
    >
    > I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    > once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    > crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    > sprocket.
    >
    > I checked the BB, it's fine. all the bolts, both spindle and chainwheel
    > are any-siezed and tight. I thought maybe it might be a bad tooth, but
    > the rings are nearly new, and there are no broke, bent chipped or worn
    > teeth. In fact, the black anodizing hasn't even worn off yet. Pedals are
    > also fine.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is the shift ramps and or the pins on
    > either guilty or the adjacent sprocket are the culprit. Has any one here
    > had or heard of this? I have Stronglight rings an a KMH chain, if it's
    > any help.

    Sounds like you already checked for this, but this spring I had an annoying
    click that sounds just like the one you describe. It was a self-extracting
    crank bolt that was doing just that on the left crank on a pair of MegaExos.

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:

    > I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    > threads...

    Well, Carl Fogel is "fascinated" when people try to dictate threads (even
    their own), but good luck anyway. <eg>

    > I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    > once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in
    > the crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    > sprocket.

    Heh-heh, he said crank region.

    > I checked the BB, it's fine. all the bolts, both spindle and
    > chainwheel are any-siezed and tight. I thought maybe it might be a
    > bad tooth, but the rings are nearly new, and there are no broke, bent
    > chipped or worn teeth. In fact, the black anodizing hasn't even worn
    > off yet. Pedals are also fine.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is the shift ramps and or the pins on
    > either guilty or the adjacent sprocket are the culprit. Has any one
    > here had or heard of this? I have Stronglight rings an a KMH chain,
    > if it's any help.
    >
    > If I know it's harmless, I can ignore it, but not until I know what it
    > is.

    Want a silly guess? Is your shoe or lace hitting the FD cable end when the
    chain's in the middle ring? Or MAYBE a quick link clicking the RD when
    chain's rather straight (but not at angle of small or big ring)?

    Or...turn up the headphones!

    (No new flame fests, please...)

  4. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    The only thing I've had like that, Chris, came from the magnet of my
    computer tapping the sensor on every revolution of the wheel. FWIW.
    --Regards, Roy Zipris

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Tue, 9 May 2006 22:27:21 -0400, [email protected]
    (Chris Z The Wheelman) wrote:

    >I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    >once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    >crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    >sprocket.

    Dismount the middle sprocket, rotate it two holes, and remount. If
    the click follows the position of the sprocket, you know it's just
    tiny glitch you haven't found in a tooth somewhere. If it stays in
    the same place, it's something else...and I'd be baffled at that
    point.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  6. Mike DeMicco

    Mike DeMicco Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Chris Z The Wheelman) wrote:

    > I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    > threads...
    >
    > I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    > once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    > crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    > sprocket.
    >
    > I checked the BB, it's fine. all the bolts, both spindle and chainwheel
    > are any-siezed and tight. I thought maybe it might be a bad tooth, but
    > the rings are nearly new, and there are no broke, bent chipped or worn
    > teeth. In fact, the black anodizing hasn't even worn off yet. Pedals are
    > also fine.

    Check the pedals again. It's not enough to just be tight. Remove the
    pedals and grease the threads and the face of the crank. I had the same
    problem, and it turned out to be the pedals.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email protected]>

  7. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    (Chris Z The Wheelman) wrote:

    >I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    >threads...
    >
    >I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    >once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    >crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    >sprocket.
    >
    >I checked the BB, it's fine. all the bolts, both spindle and chainwheel
    >are any-siezed and tight. I thought maybe it might be a bad tooth, but
    >the rings are nearly new, and there are no broke, bent chipped or worn
    >teeth. In fact, the black anodizing hasn't even worn off yet. Pedals are
    >also fine.
    >
    >The only thing I can think of is the shift ramps and or the pins on
    >either guilty or the adjacent sprocket are the culprit. Has any one here
    >had or heard of this? I have Stronglight rings an a KMH chain, if it's
    >any help.
    >
    >If I know it's harmless, I can ignore it, but not until I know what it
    >is.

    My RSX equipped Fuji Touring Series does the same thing, again only in
    the middle ring. I've sort of accepted that it's related to the
    hook-like projections (which I suppose are there to aid shifting) on
    the ring catching on the side plates of the chain.

    Finding "once per pedal stroke" clicks can be a bear. Years ago I had
    one of these that I just couldn't find, and thought I'd checked
    everything. While just riding along one day suddenly my saddle tipped
    backwards. I stopped, readjusted it, and retightened the clamp. Funny
    thing, no more once-per-stroke clicking. ;-)

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    John Everett wrote:

    > Finding "once per pedal stroke" clicks can be a bear. Years ago I had
    > one of these that I just couldn't find, and thought I'd checked
    > everything. While just riding along one day suddenly my saddle tipped
    > backwards. I stopped, readjusted it, and retightened the clamp. Funny
    > thing, no more once-per-stroke clicking. ;-)

    You can eliminate a lot of causes by trying standing up pedaling,
    no-hands pedaling, one-legged pedaling, bouncing on the pedals, etc.

  9. >I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    > threads...
    >
    > I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    > once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    > crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    > sprocket.

    Nope, this actually belongs in the helmet thread. It's what happens when you
    adjust your helmet strap but forget to trim the excess length from one side,
    which then dangles straight down and rattles against the teeth of the middle
    chainring. It's an *extremely* dangerous situation, and one more reason why
    you shouldn't wear a helmet.

    If it's not the helmet strap, it's quite possible it could be the shift pins
    on that chainring. We've had some where we literally had to grind down the
    shift pins just a bit.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    > threads...
    >
    > I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    > once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    > crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    > sprocket.
    >
    > I checked the BB, it's fine. all the bolts, both spindle and chainwheel
    > are any-siezed and tight. I thought maybe it might be a bad tooth, but
    > the rings are nearly new, and there are no broke, bent chipped or worn
    > teeth. In fact, the black anodizing hasn't even worn off yet. Pedals are
    > also fine.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is the shift ramps and or the pins on
    > either guilty or the adjacent sprocket are the culprit. Has any one here
    > had or heard of this? I have Stronglight rings an a KMH chain, if it's
    > any help.
    >
    > If I know it's harmless, I can ignore it, but not until I know what it
    > is.
    >
    > - -
    > Comments and opinions compliments of,
    > "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
    >
    > My web Site:
    > http "colon-slash-slash" geocities "dot" com "slash" czcorner
    >
    > To E-mail me:
    > ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Roy Zipris wrote:
    > The only thing I've had like that, Chris, came from the magnet of my
    > computer tapping the sensor on every revolution of the wheel. FWIW.
    > --Regards, Roy Zipris

    That /shouldn't/ coincide with turning the crank, however. (Indeed, it
    would persist when coasting.)

  11. Well, I don't have a cadence sensor for the Comp, and my Helmet srtraps
    have been trimmed, so it can't be those

    However, i'll try the turn-the-chainwheel trick and recheck the pedals.
    Hell, it might even be the aluminum frame. I've read that other's have
    had this problem. Don't remember the solution but it's probably in the
    rec.bicycles.tech's FAQ's.

    Thanks

    - -
    Comments and opinions compliments of,
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    My web Site:
    http "colon-slash-slash" geocities "dot" com "slash" czcorner

    To E-mail me:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

  12. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:

    > I sure hope this gets noticed before it's buried under all the h****t
    > threads...
    >
    > I recently stated getting a rhythmic click while pedalling. It happens
    > once per crank turn and always in the same place, so i know it's in the
    > crank region, but it only occurs when the chain is on the middle
    > sprocket.
    >
    > I checked the BB, it's fine. all the bolts, both spindle and chainwheel
    > are any-siezed and tight. I thought maybe it might be a bad tooth, but
    > the rings are nearly new, and there are no broke, bent chipped or worn
    > teeth. In fact, the black anodizing hasn't even worn off yet. Pedals are
    > also fine.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is the shift ramps and or the pins on
    > either guilty or the adjacent sprocket are the culprit. Has any one here
    > had or heard of this? I have Stronglight rings an a KMH chain, if it's
    > any help.
    >
    > If I know it's harmless, I can ignore it, but not until I know what it
    > is.
    >
    > - -
    > Comments and opinions compliments of,
    > "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
    >
    > My web Site:
    > http "colon-slash-slash" geocities "dot" com "slash" czcorner
    >
    > To E-mail me:
    > ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    Three possibilities, that I know of.

    One crank bolt is *not* torqued OK. Check; double-check; triple-check.

    At least one tooth on at least one ring is biffed. Did you remove all rings to
    inspect? I had a ring that was damaged when the chain decided to depart big
    ring while I was at speed, dropped between two rings, and was duly "set" there
    by my next down stroke. That damage was not impossible to see without removing
    the ring but it was much more difficult to see it with the ring in place. The
    damage was a deep slice directly below, and close to, the base of a tooth.
    Alum. peeled away, like the barb of a fishhook, and firmly kissed the chain with
    every ring rotation.

    Last of all, are there reflectors on your pedals? I recently found - after
    *much* de-bug time - that what I thought was a crank clicking was actually a
    pedal reflector flopping to and fro inside its metal retainer with each pedal
    rotation.

    --
    Michael