Annoying Clicking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can shed any light into my problem.

Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now and again i can hear & feel through
my right foot, a clicking noise - i cant track down what is causing it. I have checked the pedals to
see if they are slipping or moving at all and they are not. Ive checked the chain and cogs and as
far as I can tell they are all ok....

Any clues anybody?

(My bike is a raleigh X1 btw)

Cheers

Lee

Lee wrote:
> Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now and again i can hear & feel
> through my right foot, a clicking noise - i cant track down what is causing it. I have checked the
> pedals to see if they are slipping or moving at all and they are not. Ive checked the chain and
> cogs and as far as I can tell they are all ok....

Thing's I would check......

Chainring bolts: tight?

Pedals - try different ones if you have or can borrow any spares or old ones (can be hard to be sure
it's not the pedals unless they're completely eliminated).

Bottom bracket: grab one crank and push and shove in and out, etc, to feel for play. If play and
other crank moves as well, BB is shot. BB may need tightening even if no play.

Cranks: (at least) if normal square taper type: remove, clean and refit with a torque wrench. They
may be loose enough to cause clicking even if bolt doesn't feel very loose. Crank(s) will need
replacing if they repeatedly work loose.

~PB

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Wonder if anyone can shed any light into my problem.
>
> Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now and again
i
> can hear & feel through my right foot, a clicking noise - i cant track
down
> what is causing it. I have checked the pedals to see if they are slipping or moving at all and
> they are not. Ive checked the chain and cogs and as far as I can tell they are all ok....
>
> Any clues anybody?

One stiff link in the chain - check every link for ability to pivot Bad bearing in a pedal Bad BB

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
>
> Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now and again i can hear & feel
> through my right foot, a clicking noise - i cant track down what is causing it. I have checked the
> pedals to see if they are slipping or moving at all and they are not. Ive checked the chain and
>
> Any clues anybody?

Does it click an integer number of times per crank revolution?

If so check pedals and bottom bracket bearing for any play, and if you find any, strip, replace any
damaged parts, regrease and reassemble (given you say you can feel it through your right foot I
would strip and regrease the right hand pedal anyway).

Does it click an integer number of times per wheel revolution?

If so, things to look at are the wheel bearings (obviously), the straightness of the rear skewer,
the trueness of the rear wheel, and the fit of the rear mudguard if fitted.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall -- Drink C'lloid

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
>
> Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now and again
i
> can hear & feel through my right foot, a clicking noise - i cant track
down
> what is causing it. I have checked the pedals to see if they are slipping or moving at all and
> they are not. Ive checked the chain and cogs and as far as I can tell they are all ok....
>
> Any clues anybody?
>
> (My bike is a raleigh X1 btw)
>
> Cheers
>
> Lee
>
>

This is a new bike, isn't it? Has it had its first service yet? You don't want to start playing
around with it too much otherwise you might invalidate the warranty. Take it back to the shop. First
make sure it's nothing silly like your heel or a strap hitting something or a badly positioned
speedo sensor.
___
Michael MacClancy

Lee wrote:

> Any clues anybody?

Could be a lot of things. I had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago, and it turned out that a
couple of links needed oiling. Then it happened again last week and oil didn't help. So a trip to
the LBS confirmed that it was a corroded freehub bearings. A week later and I now have my bike (plus
a new pair of carbon forks -- a different story).

-- Simonb

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:31:08 -0000, "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
wrote:
>
>Any clues anybody?

If none of the other suggestions solve the problem, tighten the saddle rail clamp on the seatpost.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> Chainring bolts: tight?
>
> Pedals - try different ones if you have or can borrow any spares or old ones (can be hard to be
> sure it's not the pedals unless they're completely eliminated).
>
> Bottom bracket: grab one crank and push and shove in and out, etc, to feel for play. If play and
> other crank moves as well, BB is shot. BB may need tightening even if no play.
>
> Cranks: (at least) if normal square taper type: remove, clean and refit with a torque wrench. They
> may be loose enough to cause clicking even if bolt doesn't feel very loose. Crank(s) will need
> replacing if they repeatedly work loose.
>

To which I would add grease the pedal threads in the cranks and do them up tight.

Tony

John Everett wrote:

> If none of the other suggestions solve the problem, tighten the saddle rail clamp on the seatpost.

Or grease it.

-- Simonb

In news:[email protected],
Lee <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
expounded sagaciously:
> Hi all,
>
>
>
> Any clues anybody?
>
> (My bike is a raleigh X1 btw)
>
> Cheers
>
> Lee

When this happened to me, it was my unrestrained aglets impacting upon my trainers. I now twist my
laces and tuck them under themselves, if you get my meaning.
--

Martin Bulmer

Pie Conservation Threat

"Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected], Lee
> expounded sagaciously:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Wonder if anyone can shed any light into my problem.
> >
> > Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now and again i can hear & feel
> > through my right foot, a clicking noise - i cant track down what is causing it. I have checked
> > the pedals to
see
> > if they are slipping or moving at all and they are not. Ive checked the chain and cogs and as
> > far as I can tell they are all ok....
> >
> > Any clues anybody?

This thread caused me to review the annoying clicking I was hearing - once per chain revolution. I
think I have it fixed: the rear mech pulleys were worn - the upper one was like shark's teeth as bad
as a well-worn cassette. Replacing them with a TacX set, with ball bearings, £7 from my ReallyLBS BG
Bikes and Boards in Portobello ('cos Edinburgh Bike Co-op was too far today) has caused a great, but
almost silent, smooth ripple noise to break out, replacing that clicky/crunchy noise. I must
remember that the RLBS probably has everything next time I am summoning up time to cross the city.

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> This thread caused me to review the annoying clicking I was hearing - once per chain revolution. I
> think I have it fixed: the rear mech pulleys were worn - the upper one was like shark's teeth as
> bad as a well-worn cassette.

I can only think noise in time with chain revolution must be due to a problem with the chain, like a
stiff link or a pin sticking out too far.

> Replacing them with a TacX set, with ball bearings, £7 from my ReallyLBS BG Bikes and Boards in
> Portobello ('cos Edinburgh Bike Co-op was too far today) has caused a great, but almost silent,
> smooth ripple noise to break out, replacing that clicky/crunchy noise.

I've used Tacx jockeys. Bearings are beutifully smooth but shape of the teeth isn't ideal and causes
the ripple noise as the chain doesn't mesh quite correctly. The lack of float may also contribute. I
don't think any harm is done, though.

~PB

I had a similar "annoying clicking noise' once that seemed to be irregular.

It turned out to be the chain.

Chris

"Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
>
> "Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In news:[email protected], Lee
> <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> > expounded sagaciously:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Wonder if anyone can shed any light into my problem.
> > >
> > > Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now and again i can hear & feel
> > > through my right foot, a clicking noise - i cant track down what is causing it. I have checked
> > > the pedals to
> see
> > > if they are slipping or moving at all and they are not. Ive checked the chain and cogs and as
> > > far as I can tell they are all ok....
> > >
> > > Any clues anybody?
>
> This thread caused me to review the annoying clicking I was hearing - once per chain revolution. I
> think I have it fixed: the rear mech pulleys were worn - the upper one was like shark's teeth as
> bad as a well-worn cassette. Replacing them with a TacX set, with ball bearings, £7 from my
> ReallyLBS BG Bikes and Boards in Portobello ('cos Edinburgh Bike Co-op was too far today) has
> caused a great, but almost silent, smooth ripple noise to break out, replacing that clicky/crunchy
> noise. I must remember that the RLBS probably has everything next time I am summoning up time to
> cross the city.

"Chris McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I had a similar "annoying clicking noise' once that seemed to be
irregular.
>
> It turned out to be the chain.
>
> Chris
>
>
> "Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> >
> > "Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > In news:[email protected], Lee
> >
> > > expounded sagaciously:
> > > > Hi all,
> > > >
> > > > Wonder if anyone can shed any light into my problem.
> > > >
> > > > Whilst peddaling (slowly or fastly - doesnt matter) - every now
and
> > > > again i can hear & feel through my right foot, a clicking
noise - i
> > > > cant track down what is causing it. I have checked the pedals
to
> > see
> > > > if they are slipping or moving at all and they are not. Ive
checked
> > > > the chain and cogs and as far as I can tell they are all ok....
> > > >
> > > > Any clues anybody?
> >
> > This thread caused me to review the annoying clicking I was
hearing -
> > once per chain revolution. I think I have it fixed: the rear mech pulleys were worn - the
> > upper one was like shark's teeth as bad as a well-worn cassette. Replacing them with a TacX
> > set, with ball
bearings,
> > £7 from my ReallyLBS BG Bikes and Boards in Portobello ('cos
Edinburgh
> > Bike Co-op was too far today) has caused a great, but almost silent, smooth ripple noise to
> > break out, replacing that clicky/crunchy
noise.
> > I must remember that the RLBS probably has everything next time I am summoning up time to cross
> > the city.
> >
> >
>
>

I have already changed chain and cassette - there isn't much else to change!

"Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have already changed chain and cassette - there isn't much else to change!

Find a nice quiet place and try tapping the crank arm with a toffee hammer. (wheeltapper) If the
sound changes at one point take it to the bike hospital for an x ray. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.