Annoying pedal clicking

Boomshakalaka

Jun 5, 2005
The right pedal of my new Schwinn makes a clicking noise every revolution. I know this must be a common problem, since it happened to my last bike as well, but I don't know much about bike repair so I was hoping someone here could help me out.

Thanks

Before suspecting a pedal, check the more frequent problem. Undertorqued crank-arm bolts. You can check this without a torque metering wrench, but I would reccomend investing in one since they can be had for about 40 bucks. The spec for most cranksets is in the range of 35-40 ft-lbs. It is a lot harder to overtighten than it is to under(where the damage is). So tighten with a good hard force, on both sides, then ride again. Chances are, that was the issue.
If that was not it, then the type of pedal has to be elaborated on.

Also good to take the cleat bolts out from your shoes, clean 'em, grease 'em, then reinstall them, ensuring appropriate torque (see specs for your particular brand).

'nother thing to check is to ensure that the threads on the pedals themselves were appropriately greased prior to their installation.

Good luck!
click-click-click
Neil

Boomshakalaka said:
The right pedal of my new Schwinn makes a clicking noise every revolution. I know this must be a common problem, since it happened to my last bike as well, but I don't know much about bike repair so I was hoping someone here could help me out.

Thanks
I'd take a new bike back to the dealer. Or, if you bought online, I'd take it to your favorite shop for a good inspection and adjustment. Most new bikes will need some tune-up adjustments to function best after the first 500-1000 miles. Plus, a critical fastener or component could have loosened.

Other than learning how to inflate tires and fix flats, and maybe do a minor tweak to gear and brake cables, you shouldn't need to become a home mechanic to ride a bike. Believe as a new bike owner, getting to know a competent LBS can save you time, money and much aggravation. Unless you really want to invest in tools and study procedures and torque specs, I'd leave most everything to the pros.

This might sound silly, but first loosen and then re-tighten the pedal snugly. It worked for my new pedal clicking noise. If it still clicks, broaden your horizons from there.

i had the same problem and it sounded as though it was about to break off. it was actually inside the pedal as dirt had been attracted by the lubricant in there and this caused it to make the clicking sound. i bought new pedals and have never had the same problem as i used a different lubricant

you can also test to see if it is the pedal by pushing down on the pedal and rotating it (hold crack still) and you could feel the click there

Conniebiker said:
t I would reccomend investing in one since they can be had for about 40 bucks. The spec for most cranksets is in the range of 35-40 ft-lbs. It is a lot harder to overtighten than it is to under(where the damage is). So tighten with a good

For those that don't need a really nice torque wrench (or any other tool), Harbor Freight has very economical alternatives, ie.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

Also - to the originator, if you step on your pedals with normal shoes, does it still make the noise (eliminate the cleat / pedal interface possibility?).

Boomshakalaka said:

Thanks

The maker of the excellent Keywin pedal once offered me very simple advice on a similar clicking-noises problem: grease (re-grease) pedal axle with copper grease. It's worth trying before you spend hours taking the pedals apart.

Christen Thomsen