Annoying sigs at end of posts (was Terry Birds "Could we please Learn to trim our posts"

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:03:03 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>A sig delimiter is a line that starts with "--" and contains nothing
>else.

Wrong. It starts with "-- " (note that it's two hyphens and a space,
not just two hyphens).

serene

On 26 Jan 2006 12:37:09 -0800, "nancree" <[email protected]> rummaged
among random neurons and opined:

>"I know before I post this that this is a losing battle, but could we
>please, please, please learn to trim posts?" Terry Pulliam Byrd"

No offense, but could you at least spell my surname right? You have it
as "Bird" in the header and "Byrd" above. It's "Burd." Thank you. BTW,
who said, "Say what you want, just spell my name right"?

Is the following better...?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

--
"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and
then beat you with experience."

serene wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:03:03 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>A sig delimiter is a line that starts with "--" and contains nothing
>>else.

> Wrong. It starts with "-- " (note that it's two hyphens and a space,
> not just two hyphens).
>
> serene

As I said before, my newsreader doesn't require the trailing
whitespace. YMMV

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:16:32 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>serene wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:03:03 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>A sig delimiter is a line that starts with "--" and contains nothing
>>>else.

>> Wrong. It starts with "-- " (note that it's two hyphens and a space,
>> not just two hyphens).
>>
>> serene

>As I said before, my newsreader doesn't require the trailing
>whitespace. YMMV

I thought you said it puts it in automatically. Regardless, most
newsreaders will set aside a .sig when quoting, if it has a standard
delimiter, with the space, which is what I want to happen.

serene

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 10:43:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:16:32 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>serene wrote:

>>> Wrong. It starts with "-- " (note that it's two hyphens and a space,
>>> not just two hyphens).
>>>
>>> serene

>>As I said before, my newsreader doesn't require the trailing
>>whitespace. YMMV

> I thought you said it puts it in automatically. Regardless, most
> newsreaders will set aside a .sig when quoting, if it has a standard
> delimiter, with the space, which is what I want to happen.
>
> serene

I'm sure the method varies with the software. With Xnews, for example, one
only has to create a sig file and point to it in one of the setup screens.
The software generates the delimiter line. There definitely is a character
position following the "--", but I haven't cehcked to determine whether
it's a space or a null.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"nancree" <[email protected]> writes:

>While we're on the subject, how about dropping those tiresome "sigs"
>that have been repeated endlessly for years. Sorry, Terry, but I'm so
>tired of your sig

Some newsreaders automatically cut out signatures if they're put after
a delimiter - usually two dashes like -- or something similar. You
might want to check to see if your newsreader has the option.
I understand where you're coming from, but the problem with all these
suggestions about sigs or top posting or triming posts is that,
ultimately, we have no control over it. And once people start telling
others they can't use sigs then they might start telling us how to write
our posts. It's a double-edged sword.

Stacia

In article <[email protected]>,
Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2006 12:37:09 -0800, "nancree" <[email protected]> rummaged
> among random neurons and opined:
>
> >"I know before I post this that this is a losing battle, but could we
> >please, please, please learn to trim posts?" Terry Pulliam Byrd"

> No offense, but could you at least spell my surname right? You have it
> as "Bird" in the header and "Byrd" above. It's "Burd." Thank you. BTW,
> who said, "Say what you want, just spell my name right"?
>
> Is the following better...?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

ROFL!!!

rights.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

In article <[email protected]>,
Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2006 12:37:09 -0800, "nancree" <[email protected]> rummaged
> among random neurons and opined:
>
> >"I know before I post this that this is a losing battle, but could we
> >please, please, please learn to trim posts?" Terry Pulliam Byrd"

> No offense, but could you at least spell my surname right? You have it
> as "Bird" in the header and "Byrd" above. It's "Burd." Thank you. BTW,
> who said, "Say what you want, just spell my name right"?
>
> Is the following better...?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

ROFL!!!

rights.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

In article <[email protected]>,
"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
-snip-
> While we're on the subject, how about dropping those tiresome "sigs"
> that have been repeated endlessly for years.

(snip)
> Sorry if I offend, but someone had to say it.

Did you take a poll and get elected to do it?

> Regards,
> Nancree

Nonsense!! Sometimes, though certainly not in Terry's case, the sig is
more interesting than the post.
--

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure the method varies with the software. With Xnews, for example, one
> only has to create a sig file and point to it in one of the setup screens.
> The software generates the delimiter line. There definitely is a character
> position following the "--", but I haven't cehcked to determine whether
> it's a space or a null.

My software has a check box. I like that, because I don't have to
remember the delimiter. If I erase my .sig and create a new one, the
delimiter will still be there.

It appears to be a space and not a null. Most text software doesn't
display nulls, only spaces. If you place your cursor well to the right
of the delimiter, you will see a space between the second hyphen and the
cursor.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> "nancree" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > While we're on the subject, how about dropping those tiresome "sigs"
> > that have been repeated endlessly for years. Sorry, Terry, but I'm
> > so tired of your sig

> Some newsreaders automatically cut out signatures if they're put
> after a delimiter - usually two dashes like -- or something similar.
> You might want to check to see if your newsreader has the option.

XanaNews has the option to put the .sigs in a different font or color.
I have it so they display in a soothing gray color. Visible but
differentiated from "real" text. It probably has an option for leaving
them out altogether, but that's not a concern for me.

Brian

won't shut up.

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:44:22 +0000 (UTC), Glitter Ninja wrote:

> Some newsreaders automatically cut out signatures if they're put after
> a delimiter - usually two dashes like -- or something similar. You
> might want to check to see if your newsreader has the option.

Most news readers have that option, but don't "tell" you about it....
so mere mortals need to learn about it elsewhere because "help"
doesn't do a very good job of informing you about it.