Annoying tick

cmoore992002

Nov 25, 2004
I have a Felt F65 with an annoying tick that occurs when cranking hard. I thought I had it fixed with a good cleaning and lube but the tick is back. It is more pronounced when I crank hard in the big ring. Am I right to suspect the bottom bracket? Any suggestions?

cmoore992002 said:
I have a Felt F65 with an annoying tick that occurs when cranking hard. I thought I had it fixed with a good cleaning and lube but the tick is back. It is more pronounced when I crank hard in the big ring. Am I right to suspect the bottom bracket? Any suggestions?

Remove, lube and reinstall:
pedals
cranks
chainrings
bottom bracket

Tighten:
cleats

Could be any of the things that Capwater listed. My bet would be the bottom bracket. I'd remove it clean the threads and reinstall it using blue (i.e. removable) Loctite.

Past experience, In the big ring, FD cable hitting the crank arm, check the tail of the cable. :)

All kidding aside.

Is this a tick or a click? Is there any consistency? IOW, does it tick at a certain pedal position or a certain gearing? Have you looked at all of your chain links to make sure one of them is not bad? The teeth on your sprocket and chain wheel?
Loose crankarms?

Bottom brackets usually squeak.

netscriber said:
All kidding aside.

Is this a tick or a click? Is there any consistency? IOW, does it tick at a certain pedal position or a certain gearing? Have you looked at all of your chain links to make sure one of them is not bad? The teeth on your sprocket and chain wheel?
Loose crankarms?

Bottom brackets usually squeak.
Is there a difference between a tick and a click?

It could also be the seat post, unless it's still there when you stand up. Probably the bottom bracket housing (not cassette)..... Completely remove cranks and both sides of the housing, clean and reinstall coating threads with Coppercoat or Neverseize.... loctite is un-necessary and not a good idea either.

Jay.

artemidorus said:
Yep, clicks don't bite! ;)

I get a ticking noise when I'm climbing or sprinting hard - found it was my computer magnet hitting the pickup sensor.
Damn bendy Shimano wheels! (WH-R550)

Reminds me of the German Officer who had a clock and it would only tic and not toc, he stood in front of it and proclaimed:

"Ve have vays of making you toc!" :D

gclark8 said:
"Ve have vays of making you toc!" :D
bricks1.gif

otherworld said:
It could also be the seat post, unless it's still there when you stand up. Probably the bottom bracket housing (not cassette)..... Completely remove cranks and both sides of the housing, clean and reinstall coating threads with Coppercoat or Neverseize.... loctite is un-necessary and not a good idea either.

Jay.

Nonsense. Loctite works great. I've used it on a lot of bikes over the past twenty+ years without a single problem. The good thing is once you've used it, the BB won't click again at all. Ever.

Oh and it's no problem replacing the BB when it's time to do that either.

artemidorus said:
Yes.
a. The spellings are different
b. They are different words for a reason
c. A tick is a single sound kinda like when one tiny object hits another
d. A click has 2 sounds kind alike when one tiny object hits another and bounces off to hit again :)

The reason I asked is if its a click it might be a stupid thing like the cable hitting the crankarm and coming back to bounce on the FD again. Like a sling.
A tick can be a bad crank tooth and the chain being lifted to reengage in the crank with a tick.

netscriber said:
Yes.
a. The spellings are different
b. They are different words for a reason
c. A tick is a single sound kinda like when one tiny object hits another
d. A click has 2 sounds kind alike when one tiny object hits another and bounces off to hit again :)

The reason I asked is if its a click it might be a stupid thing like the cable hitting the crankarm and coming back to bounce on the FD again. Like a sling.
A tick can be a bad crank tooth and the chain being lifted to reengage in the crank with a tick.
I don't think that you will enjoy general agreement with your definitions...

Thank you all for your suggestions. I cleaned and re-lubed the bottom bracket and all is good. The tick is gone. The only sound I want to hear when I ride is the rubber on the road. Thanks again.

Charlie M.
Dallas, Tx