Annual question: where to get detailed Tour route info?

• Thread starter Dennis P. Harri
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis P. Harri

I'm trying to plan my trip to France for the Tour, and haven't been able to find any detailed route
information to match up to my Michelin road atlas. The official Tour site only lists the start and
end points for each stage.

In Googling the rec.bicycles.racing archives, it appears that this lack of detailed info leads
to an annual question: *Where can one find detailed route information for each of this year's
Tour stages?*

I'll have my bike with me, and hope to use a railpass with a car rental option, but I need to know
which towns the Tour passes through so I can book car rental and some trains early enough that I can
bike/train from the start to the finish during a day.

Does anyone publish a good tour guide in English?

I don't mind hauling my tent along if camping's not a big hassle, especially if it means that I can
get good photo spots on the climbs. How easy is roadside camping?

Thanks for any info --- I'm sure I'm not the only one who's starting to plan a trip.

Dennis P. Harris wrote:
> How easy is roadside camping?

You'll get booked. Fortunately, there are a lot of official camp sites ("pardon monsieur, où est le
camping s'il vous plaît?") in France.

The detailed route wil be announced later (google).

>I'm trying to plan my trip to France for the Tour, and haven't been able to find any detailed route
>information to match up to my Michelin road atlas. The official Tour site only lists the start and
>end points for each stage.
>

The Tour route is not made public until mid to late may sometimes as late as early June. It will be
posted on the official Tour site when it is available.
- Chris - http://www.customgetaways.com Sport Vacations (Multisport, Cycling,
Marathons, etc...)

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dennis P. Harris wrote:
> > How easy is roadside camping?
>
> You'll get booked. Fortunately, there are a lot of official camp sites

I've camped a NUMBER of times on the side of the freeway (@ "l'Air"'s which are like rest stops) and
on the actual mountains. The rules are typically a little lax during the tour we've found.

-a

Status
Not open for further replies.