anodizing II

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I chanced upon the anodizing thread- actually, the un-anodizing thread with a link to anodizing
    instructions. this sounds pretty tempting, and as i will be making the odd aluminum part this
    spring, i thought i might give it a try. time permitting.

    does anyone know if anodizing changes the surface material? as in- if i machine a 27.2 mm seatpost,
    and anodize it, will it end up being
    27.1 mm? or 27.4? i am unfamiliar with the chemical/physical basis for the process, and would rather
    know before hand so i can compensate when i am making parts.

    or perhaps it changes nothing.

    thanks,

    anthony

    Tags:

  2. Anodising is the controlled formation of aluminium oxide at the surface of items made from aluminium
    and its alloys. When the coating is formed, it grows the surface by approximately 50% of the
    coatings thickness. Remember that this is per face, so component size growth will be X2 film
    thickness for a diameter.

    If the coatings are thin (i.e. less than 10 microns) or the application is not dimensionally
    critical, then this effect can be ignored.

    Check out http://www.acornhardas.co.uk/datasheets.htm this is a company I used to work for, who
    pretty much invented hard anodising back in something like 1920.

    Paul

    news:[email protected]...