Anorexia the new technology?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Remove The Poli, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Scott
    Hendricks) wrote:

    > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, lazysegall <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > Indurain was a huge, muscled guy and not a skinny beanpole, and his size didn't seem to
    > > harm him.
    > >
    > > I think I remember Phil and Paul saying once, that during the tour the average weight lost by
    > > riders is 7.7kg! Now we know what we all gotta do- the Tour!
    >
    > I saw Indurain in Colorado Springs when he was training for the Worlds to be held in Columbia, and
    > he was neither huge nor muscled. He wasn't 'Hampsten' skinny, but he damned sure wasn't huge.
    > Tall, perhaps, and maybe bigger than the typical climber, but... not huge.
    >
    > Scott

    I rememeber seeing a photo taken of him in his bibs, sitting in a hotel room, and he was really
    muscular. In that photo, he sort of reminded me of those circus strongmen from the early 1900s- you
    know, the photos of men in bibs lifting barbells. Although not THAT bulgy. True, compared to the
    shrimpy guys, he did look huge. Like when he stood on the podium with pantani at the worlds!

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > Indurain was a huge, muscled guy and not a skinny beanpole, and his
    size
    > > > didn't seem to harm him.
    > >
    > > Actually, he was 195 when he won the Tour of the Future from Alexi
    Grewal
    > > and I forget the other podium place. He was put on a 5 year plan to win
    the
    > > Tour my Conconi and Ferrari. He was down to 172 or so when he won the
    Tours
    > > and that is pretty damn skinny for 6'2" His BMI is very close to
    Lance's.

    > You folks only think riders like Indurain and Cipollini are big and muscular because of the tiny,
    > skinny people you always see them near. They aren't that big or muscular. I'm 6'2", 172 lbs.
    > almost exactly - I'm real thin.

    Which folks?

    > If you saw these guys in street clothes and didn't know their faces, you wouldn't notice anything
    > at all about them. They'd look like thin men, nothing more.

    Yepm that and tan sculpted faces.

    > -RJ

  3. Matabala

    Matabala Guest

  4. Mr60percent

    Mr60percent Guest

    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I think I remember Phil and Paul saying once, that during the tour the average weight lost by
    > >>riders is 7.7kg! Now we know what we all gotta do- the Tour!
    >
    > Lance Armstrong lost this amount in 1 hour.

    This is the type of ignorant mis-information that I've come to expect from this newsgroup.

    He averages around 410W which would mean that he burned about 1500 Calories during the hour.

    It takes 3500 Calories to burn 1 lb of fat. This means that he burned 0.43 lb of fat during the
    1 hour ride. The rest was just lost due to fluid or water which he would replace by drinking
    after the ride.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ronaldo
    Jeremiah) wrote:

    > > > Indurain was a huge, muscled guy and not a skinny beanpole, and his size didn't seem to harm
    > > > him.
    > >
    > > Actually, he was 195 when he won the Tour of the Future from Alexi Grewal and I forget the other
    > > podium place. He was put on a 5 year plan to win the Tour my Conconi and Ferrari. He was down to
    > > 172 or so when he won the Tours and that is pretty damn skinny for 6'2" His BMI is very close to
    > > Lance's.
    >
    > You folks only think riders like Indurain and Cipollini are big and muscular because of the tiny,
    > skinny people you always see them near. They aren't that big or muscular. I'm 6'2", 172 lbs.
    > almost exactly - I'm real thin.
    >
    > If you saw these guys in street clothes and didn't know their faces, you wouldn't notice anything
    > at all about them. They'd look like thin men, nothing more.
    >
    > -RJ

    Anyone would look big next to somene like Simoni! I was surprised when I saw that he's the same
    height as me and weighs about 5 pounds more. We could wear each other's clothes!

    But as we all know, cyclists aren't REALLY athletes like football players or hockey players.
    They're skinny european guys with shaved legs!

  6. "mr60percent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Carl Sundquist wrote:

    > > Lance Armstrong lost this amount in 1 hour.
    >
    > This is the type of ignorant mis-information that I've come to expect from this newsgroup.
    >
    > He averages around 410W which would mean that he burned about 1500 Calories during the hour.
    >
    > It takes 3500 Calories to burn 1 lb of fat. This means that he burned 0.43 lb of fat during the 1
    > hour ride. The rest was just lost due to fluid or water which he would replace by drinking after
    > the ride.

    Yes, of course the only fuel he burned was fat. No glycogen, right? He must have incredible
    adaptation to convert fat at such high intensity.

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

  8. "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Carl Sundquist wrote:
    >
    > > "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    do-

    > >>Lance Armstrong lost this amount in 1 hour.
    > >>

    > > Supposedly...and look what happened to him by the end of that hour!
    >
    > For such a master tactician as Lance, I fail to see how he let something like this happen. It's a
    > rookie mistake. I think he would have some planner which he consults and tracks food/water intake.
    > "Oh, hell, I haven't drank 6 litres of water today, or yesterday, or the day before, what am I
    > thinking?!?!?"

    Dumbass -

    Part of what makes three week stage races interesting is that weird, unexpected things can happen.

  9. mr60percent wrote:
    > Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Carl Sundquist wrote:

    >>Lance Armstrong lost this amount in 1 hour.
    >

    > This is the type of ignorant mis-information that I've come to expect from this newsgroup.
    >
    > He averages around 410W which would mean that he burned about 1500 Calories during the hour.
    >
    > It takes 3500 Calories to burn 1 lb of fat. This means that he burned 0.43 lb of fat during the 1
    > hour ride. The rest was just lost due to fluid or water which he would replace by drinking after
    > the ride.

    I will write 150 times: "I must not write to RBR with my tongue in my cheek."

    You win this month's Alexandre Award.

  10. Mr60percent

    Mr60percent Guest

    > "mr60percent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > >
    > > He averages around 410W which would mean that he burned about 1500 Calories during the hour.
    > >
    > > It takes 3500 Calories to burn 1 lb of fat. This means that he burned 0.43 lb of fat during the
    > > 1 hour ride. The rest was just lost due to fluid or water which he would replace by drinking
    > > after the ride.
    >
    > Yes, of course the only fuel he burned was fat. No glycogen, right? He must have incredible
    > adaptation to convert fat at such high intensity.

    Yes, glycogen is the main fuel at high intensity, but the main point is that weight loss is due to
    calorific expenditure - a simple equation that balances calories burned versus calories consumed.
    Almost 98% of Armstrong's weight loss during the TT was thru fluid loss not thru calorific
    expenditure. The fluid and calories would be replaced after the ride and at the end of the day his
    weight would be the same as it was at the start of the day.

  11. Carl Sundquist

    Carl Sundquist New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Except what you wrote was

    "This means that he burned 0.43 lb of fat during the 1 hour ride."

    BTW, unless he lost about 21.5 pounds of whatever during the ride, your math is off too.