Another 49 cyclists implicated in OP ! new 6000 page dossier released...

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Apr 30, 2007.

1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

No wonder they wanted to close the case ! Shiesse !
    ________
    Another 49 cyclists are implicated in the Operation Puerto doping affair which is threatening to cast an even darker cloud over the sport ahead of the first two major stage races of the season.
    According to Monday's Gazzetta dello Sport, a new 6000-page dossier from the Spanish doping affair, which has already ensnared Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso, contains evidence which implicates a new crop of suspected cheats.

'Operation Puerto' erupted in May 2006 when police uncovered an alleged blood doping and doping network when they raided the premises of a Madrid sports doctor Eufemiano Fuentes.

Police hundreds of small bags of blood, banned substances such as EPO (erythropoietin), growth hormones and anabolic steroids, and incriminating documents with alleged codenames and numbers for Fuentes' 'clients'.

Some 200 athletes and 58 cyclists were reportedly implicated, leading to the suspension of 13 riders - including Basso and Ullrich - by their teams prior to last year's Tour de France.

Both Ullrich and Basso and many other riders implicated have protested their innocence. So far, only Ullrich appears as guilty following a recent DNA comparison test with blood found during the raid.

Ullrich has since retired while Basso, who was initially cleared by Italian authorities in the autumn, is to appear at a new hearing scheduled by the Italian Olympic Committee's (CONI) disciplinary commission this week.

The Italian sports daily did not reveal the identity of the 49 riders it believes are also part of the affair.

But Gazzetta's report said: "Until now we thought there was only one dossier of 500 pages, but it appears the Spanish authorities are ready to launch another investigation.

"This new dossier is supposedly 6000 pages long. It is said to mention 49 riders, among whom are some of the biggest names in the sport, adding to the 58 already implicated."

If would mean 107 cyclists have now been implicated in Operation Puerto, leaving the sport's world ruling body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), and major race organisers with a major headache.

Tags:

2. thunder

thunder New Member

look out all Americans living in Girona.

3. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

Valverde will be one of those names? Or does he already count as being one of those previously implicated (as Valv Piti)? Maybe 2007 will see the first French Tour winner since Fignon? Is that worth a bet?

4. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

We could have the first winner form the Solomon islands at this rate... with 110 rider implicated that’s half the peleton !

I think this is all good... it may get ugly again but its sending out a very big message to all cyclists and teams.... makes you wonder if 150 cyclists are been seen by Fuentes whats the point of doping...? there really is no advantage being gained.....

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

No no no... they only train there because of the weather and terrain... yeah right....

6. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

They'll all be upping sticks and moving to Astana at this rate - because of the nice climate, great hills for training etc.

7. patch70

patch70 New Member

Faaaarrrrk. What a mess.

Thank goodness we at least have Discovery as a clean team.

8. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

What odds on little Tommy D winning the Tour this year?

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Farrrkkkk ! Noooooooooooooo !

10. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

What will happen now is that we will have the leaks of the 49 names over the next 2 months with little to no evidence or leadership from the UCI and we'll be right back where we started.... odds ?

11. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

Yes - he can't be that bad and be doping - which means he's clean, and potentially Disco's only clean Tour captain, assuming they can find another 8 clean riders to support him. :eek:

12. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

But ASO will add those 50 names to the list of riders they don't want to be in London for the prologue - they will have to.

13. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

i see you hitting on individual riders again. does that help you sleep at night to blame all doping on 2 or 3 riders?

god help us, your definition of dope free sport is a french rider winning a race. like laurent fignon never touched PEDs

14. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Flyer tried to tell you. :D

15. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

Yeah that's right, I lie awake at night compiling lists of riders I think dope and those I think don't dope. :rolleyes: Do you lie awake at night crying because I am on this forum blaming "all doping on 2 or 3 riders?" Get a grip Wicklow. You know full well it is harder for French riders under present conditions to dope, that is why I used that analogy. I don't lie awake at night praying that a Frenchman will win the Tour. I also don't think doping started with EPO and don't for a minute think that Valverde is to balme for cycling's ills. But if Ulle and Basso have been doiping then there is not a cat's chance in hell that Valverde hasn't been doping too.

16. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

He was going to win it anyway.

17. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Different rates? Not everyone can afford 50,000 euros a year in doping supply like Ullrich / Basso.

I agree with you. I think this is good. Catch them. Embarrass them. And let's start over fresh.

18. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

There are rumours on the German forums today that Landis is named as one of the 49 cyclists and is one of the reasons the UCI and the Spanish government came on agreement to release more evidence and blood bags.... could be interesting over the next few days..... Hamilton will be up for a life ban....

19. cheapie

cheapie New Member

are they going to publish the names anytime soon?

20. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Don't worry the papers will leak the names over a period of days for maximum circulation impact... no point in releasing them all in one day !