Another 49 cyclists implicated in OP ! new 6000 page dossier released...

whiteboytrash said:
I think McQuaid is saying that they don't have anyone who can read at the UCI so they need to take the report down to the local school to get it interpreted.

We will then need a full staff of attorney to lets us know what it really means.

Serafino said:
Its just unimaginable that mangement is unaware of doping on this scale. Where's the call to hold them responsible? Otherwise, nothing will change.
I give you a story or a tale which is certainly not far of the true.

UCI and/or Verbbruggen want to make great UCI like Formule 1. They need growth. Armstrong is an excellent support to grow in all anglo-saxon countries. Rapidly moneys come into cycling... Why would you stop that?

Rolfrae said:
What was that all about? Armstrong had basically heard that others were blood doping better than him and he wasn't going to be beaten at his own game? Wasn't it around the time of the Dauphine when Mayo stormed up the Ventoux, kicking Armstrong's ass, only to get to the Tour and completely forget how to ride up mountains.
My cynical theory is that Armstrong was still friends with Hamilton after Hamilton left. They lived next to each other in Gerona. They talked about doping techniques, so Armstrong knew Hamilton was using homologous blood doping. He tipped off the UCI and gave them the means to take Hamilton out of the game.

After Hamilton and Perez were caught, Hamilton claimed that there was no false positive study and so the test should not be used. The UCI's position was that the test was infallible. Strangely enough, after Hamilton was convicted, the UCI stopped testing for homologous blood doping. This makes the UCI's position look suspect, and it also makes it look as though they were specifically targeting only Hamilton.

No, Hamilton's guy screwed up by mixing up some blood bags which made him test positive.
At least this is the story I have been told.

jhuskey said:
No, Hamilton's guy screwed up by mixing up some blood bags which made him test positive.
At least this is the story I have been told.
Homologous blood doping was undetectable until Armstrong gave the UCI the money (under the table) to buy the machine(s) to detect it. The reason why no one other than Hamilton and Perez have tested positive for using other people's blood is that the UCI stopped testing for that.

The rumor that Perez and Hamilton got their blood switched has been floating around but never substantiated. I have also heard they have different blood types, so this would not be possible without severe consequences. I would not be surprised if he was using his wife's blood since she seems to have participated in other ways.

Bro Deal said:
Homologous blood doping was undetectable until Armstrong gave the UCI the money (under the table) to buy the machine(s) to detect it. The reason why no one other than Hamilton and Perez have tested positive for using other people's blood is that the UCI stopped testing for that.

The rumor that Perez and Hamilton got their blood switched has been floating around but never substantiated. I have also heard they have different blood types, so this would not be possible without severe consequences. I would not be surprised if he was using his wife's blood since she seems to have participated in other ways.
Armstrong's "investment" in the blood machine was a good one. It allowed him to get away with quite a bit included cortisone and EPO positives. It should be mentioned that the supposed blood machine that was purchased didn't detect any type of blood transfusion but only able to take blood parameters readings. In other words the machine didn't do a hell of a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if the machine didn't exist.

The donation came up during the Armstrong SCS insurance trial where in his deposition Armstrong all of sudden forget the amount he donated, what the money was used for and even if he got a receipt for the donation. Very strange.... someone should open the books in the UCI and you may find other donation of this kind... not just from riders but from federations...

whiteboytrash said:
Armstrong's "investment" in the blood machine was a good one. It allowed him to get away with quite a bit included cortisone and EPO positives. It should be mentioned that the supposed blood machine that was purchased didn't detect any type of blood transfusion but only able to take blood parameters readings. In other words the machine didn't do a hell of a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if the machine didn't exist.

The donation came up during the Armstrong SCS insurance trial where in his deposition Armstrong all of sudden forget the amount he donated, what the money was used for and even if he got a receipt for the donation. Very strange.... someone should open the books in the UCI and you may find other donation of this kind... not just from riders but from federations...
I think there is definitely something fishy about the whole Hamilton affair. We know at one point the UCI announced that Armstrong had come forward to give information about doping in the peloton. I have a gut feeling that he stabbed Hamilton in the back.

With all the blood doping we now know was going on at that time, surely the UCI would have seen more riders with blood anomalies than just Hamilton--if they were looking at riders other than Hamilton that is.

seems like confessions are in fashion now...

The thirty-some Spanish cyclists involved in Operación Puerto have begun negotiating with the Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC) for a deal which would allow them to confess and return to the peloton in time for the 2008 Vuelta a España, the Spanish newspaper El País has reported. The group of riders, represented by ex-cyclist Pipe Gómez, has made a complete turnaround on its previously announced position.

The first meeting occurred Wednesday evening, a few hours after the organizer of the Vuelta announced that he does not want any riders named in Operación Puerto to ride in its race.

The first attempt at negotiating a deal failed, the paper said, because the riders demanded that the federation set aside the ProTour code of ethics requirement that sanctioned riders not be allowed to ride for a ProTour team for two years. "But that is not up to us, and you know it," federation president Fulgencio Sánchez told them. "The code of ethics is a pact between the teams and the organizers of the ProTour and they are the ones to enforce it.

whiteboytrash said:
seems like confessions are in fashion now...

The thirty-some Spanish cyclists involved in Operación Puerto have begun negotiating with the Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC) for a deal which would allow them to confess and return to the peloton in time for the 2008 Vuelta a España, the Spanish newspaper El País has reported. The group of riders, represented by ex-cyclist Pipe Gómez, has made a complete turnaround on its previously announced position.

The first meeting occurred Wednesday evening, a few hours after the organizer of the Vuelta announced that he does not want any riders named in Operación Puerto to ride in its race.

The first attempt at negotiating a deal failed, the paper said, because the riders demanded that the federation set aside the ProTour code of ethics requirement that sanctioned riders not be allowed to ride for a ProTour team for two years. "But that is not up to us, and you know it," federation president Fulgencio Sánchez told them. "The code of ethics is a pact between the teams and the organizers of the ProTour and they are the ones to enforce it.
The way out of this for the riders seems to be confess, get the ban over with as soon as possible and then carry on doing what they were doing before but with different doctors and better devised codenames. That will leave the sport exactly where it was post-Festina - right back in the mire, ready for another scandal to blow up at any moment.

Rolfrae said:
The way out of this for the riders seems to be confess, get the ban over with as soon as possible and then carry on doing what they were doing before but with different doctors and better devised codenames. That will leave the sport exactly where it was post-Festina - right back in the mire, ready for another scandal to blow up at any moment.
I agree with you.
I hope that UCI, WADA and other organisers are not blind. Maybe they are waiting to have a full net before to take a decision.

I think what you may see is all the Pro Tour riders negotiating an agreement with the UCI, which would make sense since the UCI allowed this nonsense to go on like it has. It would be tough to suspend more than 100 PT riders and still expect the fans to give a damn. The Tour is going to turn into a club race before too much longer. You'll see guys with little rear-view mirrors on their prescription glasses standing on the podium by 2008.

Seriously, the UCI needs to relax the rules and let the dopers step forward, take their tongue lashing and then impose controls that actually work, like team chaperons turing grand tours and drug tests with realistic limits.

helmutRoole2 said:
The Tour is going to turn into a club race before too much longer. You'll see guys with little rear-view mirrors on their prescription glasses standing on the podium by 2008.
They'll be riding recumbents as well...

helmutRoole2 said:
I think what you may see is all the Pro Tour riders negotiating an agreement with the UCI, which would make sense since the UCI allowed this nonsense to go on like it has. It would be tough to suspend more than 100 PT riders and still expect the fans to give a damn. The Tour is going to turn into a club race before too much longer. You'll see guys with little rear-view mirrors on their prescription glasses standing on the podium by 2008.

Seriously, the UCI needs to relax the rules and let the dopers step forward, take their tongue lashing and then impose controls that actually work, like team chaperons turing grand tours and drug tests with realistic limits.
Helmut what's the matter with you? That was a very good post!

fscyclist said:
They'll be riding recumbents as well...
I was going to say that, but i was afraid of offending cyclingheroes.

Just joking CH.

Hey, still wearing that Jan Ulrich T-shirt under your media credentials?

Okay, that was uncalled for.

helmutRoole2 said:

Hey, still wearing that Jan Ulrich T-shirt under your media credentials?

Okay, that was uncalled for.
Sometimes I wear it Helmut, but only at German races :D . Be patient, in a few days (maybe 2-3 weeks but I think not longer) the next bomb will explode. There are several former riders who will confirm and specify the Jef D'Hondt story about Telekom.

cyclingheroes said:
Sometimes I wear it Helmut, but only at German races :D . Be patient, in a few days (maybe 2-3 weeks but I think not longer) the next bomb will explode. There are several former riders who will confirm and specify the Jef D'Hondt story about Telekom.
Very few riders spend their whole career at one team. Will they implicate other teams?

helmutRoole2 said:

I like the team chaperon thing. Also, how about hemaocrit tests for the 1-5 on every stage / race. Anyone over 50 is out of the race or DQed from podium. Kind of like the control for the winner they do now. Doesn't have to lead to a suspension, but might stop these ridiculous 60% people.

cyclingheroes said:

The lowest point in the history of cycling and we are here to witness it. Surely we have been shot in the ass with good luck. :D

Anyone think this trail might lead to Armstrong? Haven't heard jack from him during all this.

Maybe a better question would be, does anyone still believe he didn't dope? What fool will step forward and admit their inability to comprehend the obvious?

i look at it as a good thing. i figured he doped. but not that i know everyone else did i don't feel so bad for liking him! :p