another 5 weeks..

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A different ( better ) splint for
    another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning after that but I got to hear about all the risks
    involved with that. Could be way worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:49:18 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
    >
    >Penny

    Ride on, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy

    Good! ',;~}

    > albeit conservative.

    Arse! ',;~{

    > A different ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
    after
    > that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that.

    What wewre the risks discussed Penny?

    > Could be way worse.

    Always ',;~}

    > Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
    >
    > Penny

    All the best with it Penny - hope it works out for you!

    Shaun aRe

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >> A different ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning after that but I
    >> got to hear about all the risks involved with that.
    >
    > What wewre the risks discussed Penny?

    bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks of pump/IV antibiotics if you get
    a bone infection. So we're going to wait on the pin.

    Penny

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > >> A different ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning after that but
    > >> I got to hear about all the risks involved with that.
    > >
    > > What wewre the risks discussed Penny?
    >
    > bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks of pump/IV antibiotics if you
    > get a bone infection. So we're going to wait
    on
    > the pin.

    Yes, bone infections are dangerous. I have a hollow Ti rod from hip to knee, right down the centre
    of my left femur. They had to cut my leg open to the (crushed in the middle) bone right down the
    outside of the thigh muscle to get the smashed bone pieces out, and to align the bone before
    pinning. All this exposed it to risk of infection, however, I didn't get any.

    When they pinned my thumb (scaphoid joint) again I was at risk, but massively less so, and again -
    no problems for me.

    In either case though, not procedures I'd have undergone unless absolutely needed, so I agree with
    your caution here. Hope you don't end up needing the pin.

    Take care,

    Shaun aRe

  6. Martees

    Martees Guest

    > Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A different ( better ) splint for
    > another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
    after
    > that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that. Could be
    way
    > worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
    >
    > Penny

    Penny,

    I must have missed a posting or something but what happened? Have to agree with Shaun R (although
    that's kind of scarey in and of itself ;) ). I had a similar thing on my left femur and was left
    with a surgical steel pin from hip to knee. The good news? I'll never break THAT bone again. The
    bad news? The new security measures make for sure fire delays while they figure out I don't have my
    M-1 Garand shoved down my pants at the airport!!

    Be careful and listen to your doc.

    Marty

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > What wewre the risks discussed Penny?
    > >
    > > bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks of pump/IV antibiotics if you
    > > get a bone infection. So we're going to wait
    > on
    > > the pin.
    >
    > Yes, bone infections are dangerous. I have a hollow Ti rod from hip to
    knee,
    > right down the centre of my left femur. They had to cut my leg open to the (crushed in the middle)
    > bone right down the outside of the thigh muscle to get the smashed bone pieces out, and to align
    > the bone before pinning. All this exposed it to risk of infection, however, I didn't get any.
    >
    > When they pinned my thumb (scaphoid joint) again I was at risk, but massively less so, and again -
    > no problems for me.
    >
    > In either case though, not procedures I'd have undergone unless absolutely needed, so I agree with
    > your caution here. Hope you don't end up needing
    the
    > pin.
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    I can relate. I shattered my elbow and had 8 pieces of hardware of various shapes in my arm for a
    year. They pumped me full of iv antibiotics when they went in (which was just after a dirty open
    fracture) and when they came out to ward off a bone infection. They said if I did end up with one
    the best bet would be to remove the arm and hope it hadn't spread. Glad it never came to that! It
    was my favorite arm too!

    Matt (now I have a good weather detector!)

  8. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A different ( better ) splint for
    > another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
    after
    > that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that. Could be
    way
    > worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
    >
    > Penny

    Just had my small finger k-wired for the second time after coliding with another cyclists bar end.
    After the first op and 5 weeks with wire sticking out of my hand the bone was still at right angles.
    The second op envolved cutting the finger open and removing scar tissue and inserting another wire.
    The accident happened 4 months ago and have not been able to ride or use my right hand in this whole
    time. The latest xrays show the bone is not fused toghther but the finger is so scared and swollen
    another operation is not an option.

    Do not consider myself a cyclist anymore as I am never on the bike.

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    David Bailey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A
    different
    > > ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
    > after
    > > that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that. Could be
    > way
    > > worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
    > >
    > > Penny
    > >
    > Just had my small finger k-wired for the second time after coliding with another cyclists bar end.
    > After the first op and 5 weeks with wire
    sticking
    > out of my hand the bone was still at right angles. The second op envolved cutting the finger open
    > and removing scar tissue and inserting another
    wire.
    > The accident happened 4 months ago and have not been able to ride or use
    my
    > right hand in this whole time. The latest xrays show the bone is not fused toghther but the finger
    > is so scared and swollen another operation is not
    an
    > option.
    >
    > Do not consider myself a cyclist anymore as I am never on the bike.

    Shit Bailey, that sucks big time. I hope you manage to get it sorted out in the end.

    Shaun aRe

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    MattB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks
    of
    > > > pump/IV antibiotics if you get a bone infection. So we're going to
    wait
    > > on
    > > > the pin.
    > >
    > > Yes, bone infections are dangerous. I have a hollow Ti rod from hip to
    > knee,
    > > right down the centre of my left femur. They had to cut my leg open to
    the
    > > (crushed in the middle) bone right down the outside of the thigh muscle
    > > get the smashed bone pieces out, and to align the bone before pinning.
    All
    > > this exposed it to risk of infection, however, I didn't get any.
    > >
    > > When they pinned my thumb (scaphoid joint) again I was at risk, but massively less so, and again
    > > - no problems for me.
    > >
    > > In either case though, not procedures I'd have undergone unless
    absolutely
    > > needed, so I agree with your caution here. Hope you don't end up needing
    > the
    > > pin.
    > >
    > > Take care,
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > I can relate. I shattered my elbow and had 8 pieces of hardware of various shapes in my arm
    > for a year.

    Ouch!

    > They pumped me full of iv antibiotics when they went in (which was just after a dirty open
    > fracture) and when they came out to
    ward
    > off a bone infection.

    Yup, same here/

    > They said if I did end up with one the best bet would be to remove the arm and hope it hadn't
    > spread. Glad it never came to
    that!

    Gulp!

    > It was my favorite arm too!

    Heheheheh, I won't ask why, Matt ',;~}

    > Matt (now I have a good weather detector!)

    Lightning conductor too I guess.....

    Shaun aRe

  11. February 27, 2003

    "Mr. E. Mann" wrote:

    > Methinks someone had managed to stuff their entire head into their rectum.

    Methinks E. Mann hasn't got a clue about the scope and danger of the global nuclear proliferation
    problem, nor does E. Mann appear to posses any demonstrable scientific abilities from the evidence
    of his posts, and furthermore, E. Mann promotes genocide on archived usenet forums.

    Thomas Lee Elifritz http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > > > Do not consider myself a cyclist anymore as I am never on the bike.
    > >
    > > Shit Bailey, that sucks big time. I hope you manage to get it sorted out
    > in
    > > the end.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > That does suck, I hope you recover. And I believe that your are a cyclist
    if
    > you think you are, good luck.

    I sometimes think I'm a tall, leggy blond pole dancer chick.......

    Shaun aRe

  13. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Shit Bailey, that sucks big time. I hope you manage to get it sorted
    out
    > > in
    > > > the end.
    > > >

    > > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > > That does suck, I hope you recover. And I believe that your are a
    cyclist
    > if
    > > you think you are, good luck.
    >
    > I sometimes think I'm a tall, leggy blond pole dancer chick.......
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    I'll never be able to watch Gwyneth Paltrow in Shallow Hal again.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado