another 5 weeks..

Penny S.

Guest
Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A different ( better ) splint for
another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning after that but I got to hear about all the risks
involved with that. Could be way worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.

Penny

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:49:18 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
>
>Penny

Ride on, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy

Good! ',;~}

****! ',;~{

> A different ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
after
> that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that.

What wewre the risks discussed Penny?

> Could be way worse.

Always ',;~}

> Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
>
> Penny

All the best with it Penny - hope it works out for you!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>> A different ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning after that but I
>> got to hear about all the risks involved with that.
>
> What wewre the risks discussed Penny?

bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks of pump/IV antibiotics if you get
a bone infection. So we're going to wait on the pin.

Penny

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >> A different ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning after that but
> >> I got to hear about all the risks involved with that.
> >
> > What wewre the risks discussed Penny?
>
> bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks of pump/IV antibiotics if you
> get a bone infection. So we're going to wait
on
> the pin.

Yes, bone infections are dangerous. I have a hollow Ti rod from hip to knee, right down the centre
of my left femur. They had to cut my leg open to the (crushed in the middle) bone right down the
outside of the thigh muscle to get the smashed bone pieces out, and to align the bone before
pinning. All this exposed it to risk of infection, however, I didn't get any.

When they pinned my thumb (scaphoid joint) again I was at risk, but massively less so, and again -
no problems for me.

In either case though, not procedures I'd have undergone unless absolutely needed, so I agree with
your caution here. Hope you don't end up needing the pin.

Take care,

Shaun aRe

> Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A different ( better ) splint for
> another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
after
> that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that. Could be
way
> worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
>
> Penny

Penny,

I must have missed a posting or something but what happened? Have to agree with Shaun R (although
that's kind of scarey in and of itself ;) ). I had a similar thing on my left femur and was left
with a surgical steel pin from hip to knee. The good news? I'll never break THAT bone again. The
bad news? The new security measures make for sure fire delays while they figure out I don't have my
M-1 Garand shoved down my pants at the airport!!

Be careful and listen to your doc.

Marty

> Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > What wewre the risks discussed Penny?
> >
> > bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks of pump/IV antibiotics if you
> > get a bone infection. So we're going to wait
> on
> > the pin.
>
> Yes, bone infections are dangerous. I have a hollow Ti rod from hip to
knee,
> right down the centre of my left femur. They had to cut my leg open to the (crushed in the middle)
> bone right down the outside of the thigh muscle to get the smashed bone pieces out, and to align
> the bone before pinning. All this exposed it to risk of infection, however, I didn't get any.
>
> When they pinned my thumb (scaphoid joint) again I was at risk, but massively less so, and again -
> no problems for me.
>
> In either case though, not procedures I'd have undergone unless absolutely needed, so I agree with
> your caution here. Hope you don't end up needing
the
> pin.
>
> Take care,
>
> Shaun aRe

I can relate. I shattered my elbow and had 8 pieces of hardware of various shapes in my arm for a
year. They pumped me full of iv antibiotics when they went in (which was just after a dirty open
fracture) and when they came out to ward off a bone infection. They said if I did end up with one
the best bet would be to remove the arm and hope it hadn't spread. Glad it never came to that! It
was my favorite arm too!

Matt (now I have a good weather detector!)

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A different ( better ) splint for
> another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
after
> that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that. Could be
way
> worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
>
> Penny

Just had my small finger k-wired for the second time after coliding with another cyclists bar end.
After the first op and 5 weeks with wire sticking out of my hand the bone was still at right angles.
The second op envolved cutting the finger open and removing scar tissue and inserting another wire.
The accident happened 4 months ago and have not been able to ride or use my right hand in this whole
time. The latest xrays show the bone is not fused toghther but the finger is so scared and swollen
another operation is not an option.

Do not consider myself a cyclist anymore as I am never on the bike.

David Bailey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Well Dr. Hand surgeon is a very nice guy albeit conservative. A
different
> > ( better ) splint for another 5 weeks, then we'll see. Maybe pinning
> after
> > that but I got to hear about all the risks involved with that. Could be
> way
> > worse. Doesn't interfere with riding and that's a good thing.
> >
> > Penny
> >
> Just had my small finger k-wired for the second time after coliding with another cyclists bar end.
> After the first op and 5 weeks with wire
sticking
> out of my hand the bone was still at right angles. The second op envolved cutting the finger open
> and removing scar tissue and inserting another
wire.
> The accident happened 4 months ago and have not been able to ride or use
my
> right hand in this whole time. The latest xrays show the bone is not fused toghther but the finger
> is so scared and swollen another operation is not
an
> option.
>
> Do not consider myself a cyclist anymore as I am never on the bike.

**** Bailey, that sucks big time. I hope you manage to get it sorted out in the end.

Shaun aRe

MattB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > bone infection. He's never had any but has treated "some". 6 weeks
of
> > > pump/IV antibiotics if you get a bone infection. So we're going to
wait
> > on
> > > the pin.
> >
> > Yes, bone infections are dangerous. I have a hollow Ti rod from hip to
> knee,
> > right down the centre of my left femur. They had to cut my leg open to
the
> > (crushed in the middle) bone right down the outside of the thigh muscle
> > get the smashed bone pieces out, and to align the bone before pinning.
All
> > this exposed it to risk of infection, however, I didn't get any.
> >
> > When they pinned my thumb (scaphoid joint) again I was at risk, but massively less so, and again
> > - no problems for me.
> >
> > In either case though, not procedures I'd have undergone unless
absolutely
> > needed, so I agree with your caution here. Hope you don't end up needing
> the
> > pin.
> >
> > Take care,
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> I can relate. I shattered my elbow and had 8 pieces of hardware of various shapes in my arm
> for a year.

Ouch!

> They pumped me full of iv antibiotics when they went in (which was just after a dirty open
> fracture) and when they came out to
ward
> off a bone infection.

Yup, same here/

> They said if I did end up with one the best bet would be to remove the arm and hope it hadn't
> spread. Glad it never came to
that!

Gulp!

> It was my favorite arm too!

Heheheheh, I won't ask why, Matt ',;~}

> Matt (now I have a good weather detector!)

Lightning conductor too I guess.....

Shaun aRe

February 27, 2003

"Mr. E. Mann" wrote:

> Methinks someone had managed to stuff their entire head into their rectum.

Methinks E. Mann hasn't got a clue about the scope and danger of the global nuclear proliferation
problem, nor does E. Mann appear to posses any demonstrable scientific abilities from the evidence
of his posts, and furthermore, E. Mann promotes genocide on archived usenet forums.

Thomas Lee Elifritz http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> > > Do not consider myself a cyclist anymore as I am never on the bike.
> >
> > **** Bailey, that sucks big time. I hope you manage to get it sorted out
> in
> > the end.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> That does suck, I hope you recover. And I believe that your are a cyclist
if
> you think you are, good luck.

I sometimes think I'm a tall, leggy blond pole dancer chick.......

Shaun aRe

> Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > **** Bailey, that sucks big time. I hope you manage to get it sorted
out
> > in
> > > the end.
> > >

> > > Shaun aRe
> >
> > That does suck, I hope you recover. And I believe that your are a
cyclist
> if
> > you think you are, good luck.
>
> I sometimes think I'm a tall, leggy blond pole dancer chick.......
>

> Shaun aRe

I'll never be able to watch Gwyneth Paltrow in Shallow Hal again.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado