Another 8 to 9/10 Campy Shamal Question

Ernie

Guest
I've did a search for this on the group and found enough info to
start, but here's what the officical Campy site had to say:

"Can I convert my 8s Shamal (or other 8s Fluid-Dynamic wheel) into a
9s by changing the freewheel body?

No, it is too dangerous because of clearance problems between the
derailleur cage and the spokes. "

Agree ? Disagree? The several threads I read said it was ok and that
there was not a problem. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Ernie

On Nov 13, 8:49 pm, Ernie <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've did a search for this on the group and found enough info to
> start, but here's what the officical Campy site had to say:
>
> "Can I convert my 8s Shamal (or other 8s Fluid-Dynamic wheel) into a
> 9s by changing the freewheel body?
>
> No, it is too dangerous because of clearance problems between the
> derailleur cage and the spokes. "
>
> Agree ? Disagree? The several threads I read said it was ok and that
> there was not a problem. Any input appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ernie

Ernie: I'm not up on what a "Fluid-Dynamic" is, but it appears that
you may have at least two choices. Swapping out the freehub body for
the 9/10 speed version and buying a new Campy cassette may be the
first option, or at least it was for my 8 speed record hub equipped
Shamal. Second option for me was to acquire a Marchismo cassette from
somewhere like "http://clemenzo.com" or perhaps your LBS will order
one for you like mine did a couple of years ago. They offer
conversion cassettes in different flavors, I contacted them recently
to see if I could get a second one, then came up with a different
wheel swapping solution and didn't need to purchase a second one. The
one I have already works fine, no problems with it at all. I don't
think the Marchismo conversion will get you to 10 speed however, only
9.

Best of luck! MW