Another American busted

Minnaert said:
Isn't Basso a Euro? Oh yea what about every other positive, all have to be american?

What dope test did Basso fail?

Minnaert said:
This is not about national origin but rather what the world as a whole has come to expect from the men and women who compete! Come on making lame remarks about american or euro is ****. This is more about trying to teach the kids in the world that you need to have morals!

It's all about the filthy lucre.

bobke said:
I think the issue in not that another "American" tested positive, but that another world class athlete tested positive.

And for those who don't think Jan is going to go down, Marion Jones husband was banned with no positive drug test because of the info from the Balco investigation, which was very complete but perhaps not even as complete as Operacion Puerto. So yes, Jan is going down.

from MSNBC:
"in December 2005, the father of her son, sprinter Tim Montgomery, retired from the sport after he was banned for two years for doping violations. He never tested positive but was punished based on information gathered in the BALCO probe"

Indeed - keep it real son.

Tiny Tim coughed up that he doped in June 2004.

You can read about Tiny Tim's admission here http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/06/24/MNG547B7Q91.DTL

Maid Marion tried to bluff it out - now she's gone south too.

burton3eleven said:
what cause?? are you in the loop man?
I'm asking you to be more specific. Do you mean for Landis personally? Or what? I am active on this forum, more so than you, or you would know I am a girl :rolleyes: . Anyway, with all the LA trolling, and off-topic America bashing about Iraq, etc. I was wondering what cause to which you might be referring. Not all Americans think Floyd is innocent, you know.

nns1400 said:
I'm asking you to be more specific. Do you mean for Landis personally? Or what? I am active on this forum, more so than you, or you would know I am a girl :rolleyes: . Anyway, with all the LA trolling, and off-topic America bashing about Iraq, etc. I was wondering what cause to which you might be referring. Not all Americans think Floyd is innocent, you know.

I think Burton was referring to the perception that given the number of US athletes found to have doped - that this affects how US sport, in general, is perceived outside of the US.

limerickman said:
I think Burton was referring to the perception that given the number of US athletes found to have doped - that this affects how US sport, in general, is perceived outside of the US.
So there's a cause? I was unaware that we were fighting for some kind of cause that says US athletes don't dope. Another poster accurately described the situation as another instance of world class athletes doping. In particular, the winners. Within the US there is a clear perception that top athletes dope. I would say most people are fairly cynical about that. It's silly to make it a "national" issue. You can't bring LA into this, because he is in a league of his own in terms of PR and the whole media machine that is Lance. Outside of people's belief in him (which I don't happen to share...that he is clean that is), people are quite realistic about doping in sports around the world, including the US. I don't think I would be surprised about any medal winner in the Olympics testing positive, especially that she-man Marion Jones.

limerickman said:
It is a very bad season from that point of view in terms of US athletes getting caught, but on the positive it shows that the testing is catching up a bit, not that it ever will totally. But it does render most of the headlines about drugs testing instead of exploits on the field.

Basketball and football have had to deal with the thug element, of many players getting arrested for other reasons, assault, recreational drugs and dealing, sex crimes... but for those fans, it almost adds to the allure or at least doesnt detract form the sport or the spectacle.

I think for the most elemental sports, running, swimming, cycling, weight lifting --performance enhancement detracts very seriously since it goes to the very basis of the sport. And the fans realize that and are very angry.

I think fans view football and baseball differently, I could be wrong though.

limerickman said:

I don't think that Basso has failed any test. But I doubt that the handwritten fax by Fuentes including both Basso's and Ullrich's names was a list of friends that he wanted to invite to his birthday party. And how about the information that the Guardia Civil is in possession of information that confirms that Ullrich paid 60,000 Euro and Basso paid 50,000 Euro for doping assistance? If that same evidence were presented against Armstrong, Landis or any other American, you'd be pointing your finger and screaming "GUILTY" at the top of your lungs. The bias is sickening.

bobke said:
It is a very bad season from that point of view in terms of US athletes getting caught, but on the positive it shows that the testing is catching up a bit, not that it ever will totally. But it does render most of the headlines about drugs testing instead of exploits on the field.

Basketball and football have had to deal with the thug element, of many players getting arrested for other reasons, assault, recreational drugs and dealing, sex crimes... but for those fans, it almost adds to the allure or at least doesnt detract form the sport or the spectacle.

I think for the most elemental sports, running, swimming, cycling, weight lifting --performance enhancement detracts very seriously since it goes to the very basis of the sport. And the fans realize that and are very angry.

As for baseball, IMO, people look with disdain on dopers. I live where Mark Maguire hit his famed 70 home runs, and everyone was disgusted by their former hero's behavior at that Congressional hearing. He made an ass of himself, crying on tv and saying he couldn't say anything about it. GAG! Barry Bonds is universally disliked. I think most understand the motivation to cheat, but it is the awful posturing they do about being innocent that is so hard to stomach. Sammy Sosa got regularly booed after his corked bat incident. Of course, everyone still gets to play. So perception is that they are jerks for cheating but the leagues sure don't do anything meaningful about. Or recreational drugs either!! Remember Darryl Strawberry? Ugh.

As for football, I guess they just do steroids to get huge (and mean, possibly) and nobody cares, but if Jerry Rice and Joe Montana were found to have done PED's all the time to make all those great plays, nobody would like them anymore either. I think the only person to have actually been framed in either of these sports was O.J. Simpson, and we know he was telling the truth:p .

limerickman said:

No test. But I think we can agree that Basso is almost certainly doper ... as is Landis, Ullrich, Armstrong, Hamilton... and, well, most of them.

It's all about the filthy lucre.

Agreed. This should probably be pointed out more often. When it all comes down to it, it's $$$. For the athletes, the coaches, the sporting organizations, the sponsors (until the get burned), and the dirty Doctors.

People like Fuentes and Ferrari are only Doctors in the loosest sense of the word. In reality, they're well-dressed drug dealers selling a specialized form of dope. It may make them galmorous, but in the end they're still just criminals trying to make a buck off society's worst motives. Most of the time, we call people like that creeps.

bobke said:

I think you hit on some very good points. I have to say, although I don't watch american sport, I did in the past watch WWE and there was a thug element, and I imagine that is common in some US sports.

And yes, doping in "elemental" sports as you put it, does take away from the very basis of the sport. We want to see the fastest and strongest physically, and doping even in a few, skews the whole result, which makes it pointless to follow, let alone enjoy.

Ullefan said:
I think you hit on some very good points. I have to say, although I don't watch american sport, I did in the past watch WWE and there was a thug element, and I imagine that is common in some US sports.

QUOTE]

:eek: :eek: :eek: Noooooooooo! Please! I beg of you to try to ignore what you saw on WWE. That is for entertainment (albeit questionable) purposes only, like say, your horoscope. That is not sport!!! I'm beginning to understand where that "violent, money-hungry, uncultured" survey came from, LOL.

American football is where the thug element comes in. Who else are you going to find to rip your quarterback's head off? :p Football is a violent sport with some people who are nice guys off the field and some people who are criminals off the field. Oh, well. I love it anyway. And I love the elegance of cycling. Vive la difference.

tcklyde said:
People like Fuentes and Ferrari are only Doctors in the loosest sense of the word. In reality, they're well-dressed drug dealers selling a specialized form of dope. It may make them galmorous, but in the end they're still just criminals trying to make a buck off society's worst motives. Most of the time, we call people like that creeps.
Amen, brother. Just because you've been to medical school don't mean you aren't scum.

Edit: typos edited

meehs said:
I don't think that Basso has failed any test. But I doubt that the handwritten fax by Fuentes including both Basso's and Ullrich's names was a list of friends that he wanted to invite to his birthday party. And how about the information that the Guardia Civil is in possession of information that confirms that Ullrich paid 60,000 Euro and Basso paid 50,000 Euro for doping assistance? If that same evidence were presented against Armstrong, Landis or any other American, you'd be pointing your finger and screaming "GUILTY" at the top of your lungs. The bias is sickening.
Nice. Glad to know that I am not the only one that noticed.

meehs said:

Hey it was the other way around. Ullrich in second, as usual, with 35000 euro. Basso in command with 40000. At least according to Franke.

From the London Observer this morning.... Now where have I heard an athlete use their autography to claim they weren't taking drugs... ? The name escapes me at the moment....:p

Another indicator that Jones was less than pure was that she was all too ready and eager to declare she was against drugs. Marion Jones: Life in the Fast Lane, her 2004 autobiography, addressed the doping allegations with a full-page denial set in oversized, red capital letters. 'I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN UNEQUIVOCAL IN MY OPINION: I AM AGAINST PERFORMANCEENHANCING DRUGS, ' she wrote. 'I HAVE NEVER TAKEN THEM AND I NEVER WILL TAKE THEM. '

(http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,,1854391,00.html)

Bro Deal said:
Not a cyclists, but Marion Jones tested positive for EPO in June. Her B sample is still to be tested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/18/sports/19Track.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

I am glad they finally got her. The head of BALCO released her doping schedule. Her husband was banned for doping and he testified to a grand jury that he had witnessed Jones injecting herself with dope. Her boyfriend was banned for doping. Her coach has had numerous athletes busted for doping, most recently Gatlin. And just recently she was whinging about not being invited to to race in Germany.

She made a mockery of sport, showing up muscled like He Man, so obviously doped up it was not even funny.

Does anyone notice that Americans may be being caught due to the fact that they are being tested rigorously and diligently.
I think this shows an effort to clean up sports, but please let's carry on with only negativity.
After all we are the enemy to the world.

whiteboytrash said:
From the London Observer this morning.... Now where have I heard an athlete use their autography to claim they weren't taking drugs... ? The name escapes me at the moment....:p

Another indicator that Jones was less than pure was that she was all too ready and eager to declare she was against drugs. Marion Jones: Life in the Fast Lane, her 2004 autobiography, addressed the doping allegations with a full-page denial set in oversized, red capital letters. 'I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN UNEQUIVOCAL IN MY OPINION: I AM AGAINST PERFORMANCEENHANCING DRUGS, ' she wrote. 'I HAVE NEVER TAKEN THEM AND I NEVER WILL TAKE THEM. '

(http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,,1854391,00.html)
That quote is like a string the dopers all pull in the back of their necks and a recording comes out.

Rereading that I realize how old I am :eek: . I guess now you just squeeze their stomachs and the microchip spews out that statement.