Another BBC Story

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Tags:

  2. Cameras are like humps IMO - just as people want humps outside their own house, but no where else,
    they expect people to slow down whilst expecting to go as fast as they like themselves.

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cameras are like humps IMO - just as people want humps outside their own house, but no where else,
    > they expect people to slow down whilst expecting to go as fast as they like themselves.

    Apparently they don't want them outside their own house but rather a few doors along as the constant
    braking and accelerating of vehicles outside irritates. (According to a couple of recent local news
    stories). True NIMBYism :)

    Pete

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:41:45 +0100, "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Cameras are like humps IMO - just as people want humps outside their own house, but no where else,
    >they expect people to slow down whilst expecting to go as fast as they like themselves.

    Be fair, the quote from the councillor seemed reasonably sensible. He appeared to me to put his
    hands up and acknowledge he was stupid, which is the right attitude when nabbed IMO. Contrast the
    approved uk.tosspot response which is to set up a website whining about it.

    Guy
    ===

  5. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    o as fast as they like themselves.

    >Apparently they don't want them outside their own house but rather a few doors along as the
    >constant braking and accelerating of vehicles outside irritates. (According to a couple of recent
    >local news stories). True NIMBYism :)
    >
    >Pete

    I have one outside my house.... Noisy and a pain. Not as bad as the "gateway" humps off th main
    road. These are situated imediately around a blind bend, and guarentee meeting oncoming traffic in
    the middle of the road. The pavement is sooo tempting, but I have resisted.

    The worst thing in Wolverhampton is all the islands/refuges in the main road. Nasty pinch points if
    being overtaken by an idiot. Back to that camera... The Bilbrook councilor is very repentant and
    still says it was money well spent.

    Richard Webb

  6. "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cameras are like humps IMO - just as people want humps outside their own house, but no where else,
    > they expect people to slow down whilst expecting to go as fast as they like themselves.

    I tend to doubt that's true. Most of the people who want them are probably not drivers at all. We
    have them in my street and surrounding area. Totally useless, counterproductive in fact. There was
    no significant problem of speeding in my street before, apart from the occasional idiots who are
    still idiots and still speed just as they did before. All that it has done is making driving and
    living in the area more unpleasant - getting in and out by car means more discomfort going over the
    bumps, and more noise and pollution as drivers who aren't prepared to travel at around a constant 15
    mph, which is pretty much all of them, constantly brake and accelerate between bumps.

    Rich