Another beautiful ride RUINED by )(&*&%$ CLIPLESS PEDALS!!!

isinoguch said:
Crank Brothers -- Egg Beaters! 4 sided entry, roll forward, back, step down, toe in, whatever works for you. Really worth trying and worth the money.

Especially, the original MTB version -- in and out when you want.

I'm excited to get a new road bike simply so I can but the new Quattros.
Wish there was a way I could test a pair of those out. I've heard good things about them, and not much bad. I guess I could buy a pair, and if she hates them, I could just use them and give her my M540's.

How are the cleats on the egg beaters? Passable for walking?

The basic cleats look alot like the standard SPD cleat (in size and shape). I guess it depends on what kind of shoes you are wearing.

The new road specific has more of a platform I think, but I haven't tried them so I'll not comment.

Maybe get a used pair to shave off the cost?

cydewaze said:
Wish there was a way I could test a pair of those out. I've heard good things about them, and not much bad. I guess I could buy a pair, and if she hates them, I could just use them and give her my M540's.

How are the cleats on the egg beaters? Passable for walking?

isinoguch said:
The basic cleats look alot like the standard SPD cleat (in size and shape). I guess it depends on what kind of shoes you are wearing.

The new road specific has more of a platform I think, but I haven't tried them so I'll not comment.

Maybe get a used pair to shave off the cost?
Not really worried about the cost. I just loathe the idea of buying something I won't use.

we all do this every once in a while so we won't have to crash while in motion.

juf2m said:
Today was a gorgeous day....ideal for riding. I put on my very cute new riding outfit, loaded up with water, map, money, health card, phone, granola, sunglasses, gloves and was off.

I'll start by mentioning that this is only my 2nd year riding, but my abilities and confidence have made great strides. Today however, the cycling gods had it in for me. :(

I rode down the nature path for about 10 minutes until I got to the first intersection I had to cross. I started to roll slowly toward it and planned on riding across but then I heard a car and though I'd stop. But I had forgotten I was wearing those )(*&*&^%$$# clipless pedals! I have been riding my mountain bike lately and it has ordinary pedals so I guess I forgot. Then I got the sickening feeling as I began to topple over that I wouldn't get unhooked in time. It is the most helpless feeling in the world, isn't it?

CRASH

I crashed onto my side, with my knee hitting both the bike and grinding into the gravel/pavement. Lots of expletives rang through the air. A garbage truck rolled by and the guy asked me if I needed any help. I smiled and said noooooooooo. :eek:

It's not the knee, or the pain or the ugly way it will look for weeks to come, but the total loss of dignity that I hate. And to have to cut the ride off that soon and go home!!! After all the time it takes to get ready!! There was a huge flap of skin hanging down, all white and rubbery and I knew I'd have to turn back. So my bike and I limped home. The breaks must now be mis-alligned because it went "tsh tsh tsh" all the way home. I was too ****** off even to check which wheel it was, will deal with that later.

What a waste of a good riding day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is my fifth crash and considering how often I just fall down on the pavement walking, it's a miracle I have any knees left!

Some pictures for your interest....sorry about the long post, I just thought I'd vent to some people who might have gone through this humiliation too! :p

Hypnospin said:
we all do this every once in a while so we won't have to crash while in motion.
Last time I did something similar was while trying to track stand the tandem at some light for a wee bit to long. I always put my left foot down so when we started to lean to far the wrong way I heaved on the handlebars to get us upright again so that I could put my left foot down. I was OK but due to the effort that I used, I flicked my wife of the back.
This was a bad thing to do. :(
She only received a few minor scrapes, but it was a hell-u-va long time before I was allowed to do a trackstand again.
I have been using clipless pedals since Looks first appeared on the market as I have found them the safest thing to use whe riding in traffic.
My sympathy for the injury but its a poor tradesman that blames his tools.
Don't feel humiliated, accept what happened with good grace, have a laugh and practice so that it doesn't happen again.
Skin heals and the truck driver doesn't have a clue or care who you are, he just offered help which is a good thing to do.

Cheers

Geoff

We met a woman a couple of months ago who's wheel kept falling off her two wheeled trailer. As my brother-in-law lived only a few houses away and has a well equiped garage, I said follow us and we will fix it for her.
Marian asked her where she was going as she was very well equiped for touring and she said "Around Australia". Wow. We were impressed! Then she was asked "And how long have you been travelling for?"
She laughed and said "20 mins".
We fixed the problem and she was on her way.
Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
Don't feel humiliated, accept what happened with good grace, have a laugh and practice so that it doesn't happen again.
Skin heals and the truck driver doesn't have a clue or care who you are, he just offered help which is a good thing to do.

Cheers

Geoff
Oh don't get me wrong, I am so glad the driver offered to help, it was very kind of him. But I can only imagine how stupid I looked toppling over that way.

As for blaming my tools, I know what you are saying (my parents use that expression all the time!) but I really don't like the restriction of not having access to my own feet in time. I am not yet a fan of these things, I have had nothing but bashed up knees with them. Also, these particular cleats and pedals are very tricky both to clip in and out of. It takes a lot of stamping and grinding to get them in, and a lot of force and twisting to get them out.

They are probably good for someone experienced, but for me I really have to plan ahead if I want to unclip, and it feels unsafe. What if I need my feet immediately? I'm sure I'd feel a lot better about them if I could clip in and out spontaneously. That's just my humble and inexperienced opinion. Anyway, cydewaze is in the process of finding me more suitable ones.

That's a cute story about the woman with the wheel! :)

Hi juf2m.

I started riding a number of years ago after some time off the bike. As a child, flat pedals were the only option. Now as a rider who races every weekend in Masters events, clipless pedals have become the norm. Even have them for my track bike.
I have "Look" pedals on all my bikes. The trick with these, is when new or inexperienced with them, have the adjustment to the extreme limit so that disconnection is easiest. As you gain experience, you can then readjust as necessary.
When riding in clipless pedals, one has to plan your stops. One has to be aware and ready well prior to stopping. To release quickly from these type of pedals your heel must move outwards from the bike, with the foot relatively level. Does that make sense? Kick your heel out sideways.
Falls will still continue though, and the embarrasment level never seems to diminish. The cuts and abrasions do though.
Continue with using your clipless pedals, as the efficiency gained is worth the effort.
Hope that this helps. Keep riding whatever you decide. Remember, a bad day on the bike is better than a good day at work.

juf2m said:
Oh don't get me wrong, I am so glad the driver offered to help, it was very kind of him. But I can only imagine how stupid I looked toppling over that way.

As for blaming my tools, I know what you are saying (my parents use that expression all the time!) but I really don't like the restriction of not having access to my own feet in time. I am not yet a fan of these things, I have had nothing but bashed up knees with them. Also, these particular cleats and pedals are very tricky both to clip in and out of. It takes a lot of stamping and grinding to get them in, and a lot of force and twisting to get them out.

They are probably good for someone experienced, but for me I really have to plan ahead if I want to unclip, and it feels unsafe. What if I need my feet immediately? I'm sure I'd feel a lot better about them if I could clip in and out spontaneously. That's just my humble and inexperienced opinion. Anyway, cydewaze is in the process of finding me more suitable ones.

That's a cute story about the woman with the wheel! :)

Yikes!!!! looks nasty....I dont seem to have a problem getting out of them Just in!!. Normally as the traffic lights turn green and a mountain of cars behind you. ANY TIPS?
juf2m said:
Today was a gorgeous day....ideal for riding. I put on my very cute new riding outfit, loaded up with water, map, money, health card, phone, granola, sunglasses, gloves and was off.

I'll start by mentioning that this is only my 2nd year riding, but my abilities and confidence have made great strides. Today however, the cycling gods had it in for me. :(

I rode down the nature path for about 10 minutes until I got to the first intersection I had to cross. I started to roll slowly toward it and planned on riding across but then I heard a car and though I'd stop. But I had forgotten I was wearing those )(*&*&^%$$# clipless pedals! I have been riding my mountain bike lately and it has ordinary pedals so I guess I forgot. Then I got the sickening feeling as I began to topple over that I wouldn't get unhooked in time. It is the most helpless feeling in the world, isn't it?

CRASH

I crashed onto my side, with my knee hitting both the bike and grinding into the gravel/pavement. Lots of expletives rang through the air. A garbage truck rolled by and the guy asked me if I needed any help. I smiled and said noooooooooo. :eek:

It's not the knee, or the pain or the ugly way it will look for weeks to come, but the total loss of dignity that I hate. And to have to cut the ride off that soon and go home!!! After all the time it takes to get ready!! There was a huge flap of skin hanging down, all white and rubbery and I knew I'd have to turn back. So my bike and I limped home. The breaks must now be mis-alligned because it went "tsh tsh tsh" all the way home. I was too ****** off even to check which wheel it was, will deal with that later.

What a waste of a good riding day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is my fifth crash and considering how often I just fall down on the pavement walking, it's a miracle I have any knees left!

Some pictures for your interest....sorry about the long post, I just thought I'd vent to some people who might have gone through this humiliation too! :p

geoffs said:
Thanks for that extremely useful bit of insight. :rolleyes:

After some experimenting, I've in fact decided that these Forte's weren't the best pedals for a beginner. I tried my hand at them, and even with the tension screw so loose it's about to unthread, they do take a significant effort to disengage, and they don't work with the Shimano cleats at all.

Incidentally, Jess doesn't seem to have any problems at all disengaging from my old Shimano 737's, even with a the tension screw set midway. Even though the axle bearings are pretty well shot in them, they should be ok for her to ride until I can get her a decent set of pedals.

Or knee pads. :p

cydewaze said:
I wasn't going to mention this, but since you've mentioned it yourself, I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Shimano multi-release SPD pedals. Jessica (juf2m) has Wellgo Mtn Bike Pedals on her bike, and I've turned the release tension way down, but she still seems to have problems getting out.

I'm wondering if switching her over to the Shimano pedals w/ multi-release cleat will make it noticably easier for her to release, or whether I should just stick her on platform pedals. Thoughts?
Don't know if your putting pedals on road or mountain bike but we bought my wife SPD-SL and set them at 3-4/10. Had her practice clipping in and out on my trainer for 1/2 hour. Has had very little difficulty clipping in and out with only 1 fall this season.

Hope this helps.

oldtimer1 said:
Hi juf2m.

I started riding a number of years ago after some time off the bike. As a child, flat pedals were the only option. Now as a rider who races every weekend in Masters events, clipless pedals have become the norm. Even have them for my track bike.
I have "Look" pedals on all my bikes. The trick with these, is when new or inexperienced with them, have the adjustment to the extreme limit so that disconnection is easiest. As you gain experience, you can then readjust as necessary.
When riding in clipless pedals, one has to plan your stops. One has to be aware and ready well prior to stopping. To release quickly from these type of pedals your heel must move outwards from the bike, with the foot relatively level. Does that make sense? Kick your heel out sideways.
Falls will still continue though, and the embarrasment level never seems to diminish. The cuts and abrasions do though.
Continue with using your clipless pedals, as the efficiency gained is worth the effort.
Hope that this helps. Keep riding whatever you decide. Remember, a bad day on the bike is better than a good day at work.
When riding in clipless pedals, one has to plan your stops. One has to be aware and ready well prior to stopping

I respectfully submit that this is never an option in an emergency situation.
It is then that you have to get your foot down Right NOW!

At least up to this point the cuts and abrasions have.

You are forthright and balanced in what you say, but I continue to question whether it is worth the risk for a casual recreational street rider. I fully acknowledge the necessity of clipless pedals for the competitive rider. My main reservation is not what happened to juf2m so much in not taking her foot out at a stop, but the need to put your foot down while riding to prevent a crash. Lance got lucky in the last tour when a rider went down in front of him and he had to go off road to avoid a crash. He got his foot out just in time to save himself on the dirt. That is Lance, not the rest of us.

Your pedals didn't ruin your ride, you did. Make an effort to learn clipless pedals or stop complaining. It's your fault you fell, not the pedals.

tcklyde said:
Your pedals didn't ruin your ride, you did. Make an effort to learn clipless pedals or stop complaining. It's your fault you fell, not the pedals.
Aren't you CHARMING. And a fundraiser too, just like me! Hope you aren't that way with your donors...

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful advice, that never would have occurred to me! xoxoxoxo

tcklyde said:
Sweet! You just won me $5. I bet Jess we'd get a troll in this thread, and I was about to fork over the cash until you showed up.

I owe you one man. :)

LOL.......picture this.....

Daddy out riding with son. Son is only 4 and has training wheels. Daddy is leading son down sidewalk very slowly....barely keeping enough speed to keep upright.

Son`s training wheel climbs the side of grass bank so rear wheel spins freely above ground. Son hollars like a banshee cause he ain`t moving nowhere. Daddy peers over shoulder then attempts to make a real tight u turn carrying no speed.

CRASH!

Daddy is unable to unclip from Ritchie spd`s in time and finds himself pinned - still clipped in - under Schwinn mountain bike. Son is still spinning like Lance, going nowhere, but now laughing like a banshee cause daddy "made a funny".

Daddy lands on elbow and hip and is writhing like a snake trying to unclip when older couple stop their walk to offer help......and that I am blocking the sidewalk.

Nothing more painful than hurting your pride.

BTW - true story. :)