Another beautiful ride RUINED by )(&*&%$ CLIPLESS PEDALS!!!

ubdawg said:
My first time on clipless pedals i decided to ride down the road to a nearby greenway for some practice.(Insert word of advice to anyone new with clipless pedals here: start by practicing in a parking lot)
As I approached the main road I started to unclip, but my apartment complex has a section of coblestone at the entrance that threw me off balance and i couldn't unclip. I slammed down on the brakes to avoid heading into oncoming traffic and tumbled just short off a car driving by. Almost made me want to throw those damn things away, but now I manage to get around with ease. Of course, I still occasionally have those "Oh my god!" moments of panic.

Thought provoking question: Since "Chicks dig scars", do chicks really dig their own scars?
Well I thought my LBS was just trying to rip me off by making me pay full price for clipless when I bought my road bike, because they told me that clipless pedals were really hard and I should get used to riding a road bike first. And I still thought that after finally getting them about a month later, because I had no problems. I live on a quiet street and rode up and down a few times, cliped in and out about 3 doxen times and then went for a ride. It was over a YEAR later that I went out for a 70 mile ride in the same exact pedals and shoes as always, and I had a "oh my god" panic attack as I toppled over in a gas station parking lot. A few people saw me, and it was very humiliating, but after seeing the blood gushing and the skin flailing in the wind, a kind gentleman came over to see if i needed help. Of course I said no, and rinsed it with my water bottle, and kept going.
The very next day on a 50 mile ride with a friend, I couldn't get out THREE TIMES! I was really freaked out, wondering what the heck was wrong with me that after a year, I finally start having issues with my shoes and pedals. I banged my knee and shins up pretty badly between all of my "can't unclip, going to fall over" panic attacks. Since then I'm fine, except now after using mtn pedals for a few months, i can't seem to get into my road pedals on take off on the first try.

But the "chicks dig scars" saying is true. (see my signature below!!!!) I have a sweet 5 inch "mark of zorro" on my ankle from surgery after an accident when I was a kid, my knees proudly display my bike battle scars from age 3 to the present, and I have a few cool scars on my elbows and one on my hip from crashes to. (Unfortunately the damage done to my brain from a few crashes and times getting hit my cars doesn't show... lol)

nanook08 said:
Well I thought my LBS was just trying to rip me off by making me pay full price for clipless when I bought my road bike, because they told me that clipless pedals were really hard and I should get used to riding a road bike first. And I still thought that after finally getting them about a month later, because I had no problems. I live on a quiet street and rode up and down a few times, cliped in and out about 3 doxen times and then went for a ride. It was over a YEAR later that I went out for a 70 mile ride in the same exact pedals and shoes as always, and I had a "oh my god" panic attack as I toppled over in a gas station parking lot. A few people saw me, and it was very humiliating, but after seeing the blood gushing and the skin flailing in the wind, a kind gentleman came over to see if i needed help. Of course I said no, and rinsed it with my water bottle, and kept going.
The very next day on a 50 mile ride with a friend, I couldn't get out THREE TIMES! I was really freaked out, wondering what the heck was wrong with me that after a year, I finally start having issues with my shoes and pedals. I banged my knee and shins up pretty badly between all of my "can't unclip, going to fall over" panic attacks. Since then I'm fine, except now after using mtn pedals for a few months, i can't seem to get into my road pedals on take off on the first try.

But the "chicks dig scars" saying is true. (see my signature below!!!!) I have a sweet 5 inch "mark of zorro" on my ankle from surgery after an accident when I was a kid, my knees proudly display my bike battle scars from age 3 to the present, and I have a few cool scars on my elbows and one on my hip from crashes to. (Unfortunately the damage done to my brain from a few crashes and times getting hit my cars doesn't show... lol)
The chicks may dig the scars you have at present, you've been lucky it hasn't been worse. Yes, bones and skin do heal. If you should be unlucky enough to sever a ligament or even, yes land on your head and cause yourself some real damage I don't know how much the chicks will dig you. You sound young and extremely carefree. Nobody lives forever, but you will want to think about the quality of life you may have to look forward to while on this planet. Please take better care of yourself! If your pedals are not coming unclipped take your cleats to the shop and explain your situation. Advice is free and it could very well save your life some day. If you have speedplay pedals it's a simple matter of spraying some Dry Lube on your cleats before you go for a ride. As I always say to my kids, "safety first!".

I first started using cleats as a Mtn biker in the 80's although I have been a roadie now for 2 years, I learned early on that as soon as I came across a situation that I felt "sketchy about" I always released one foot. if I needed to stop I wouldnt fall, if I needed to peddle I had a foot in. It has saved me a million times. I have had many close calls... hope this helps

I just bought a mtb with Shimano pedals and Exustar shoes after not riding for ~10yrs. The pedals have platform on one side and clip-in on the other, which makes getting away from lights a bit easier, though I haven't had any major issues clipping in.

My advice is to practise balancing while stopped, so if you do have to stop and haven't unclipped, you won't go straight down. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll find it easy - 10yrs off a bike and I can still balance at the lights until I get to go again :)

I have a horror (and rather long) clipless pedal story for you....

Picture the scene - one day my girlfriend wakes up and says "maybe I should buy a bike". 5 minutes later we're in the bike shop getting her kitted out....

That night we take an easy ride around the block at home - she's done adventure racing before so nothing new to her.

Next day we go the the local motor racing circuit which is open in the evenings so you can ride without worrying about cars, stop streets etc. We figure it's the perfect place for her to learn to ride with clipless pedals.

Right at the start (not even on the track yet) she does the classic "clip the left foot in and fall over to the right" move. She yells frantically to me. I figure she's over reacting until I ride over and her elbow is about 2 inches away from where it's supposed to be!!!

I had her in the car and at the hospital about 5 milliseconds later.

She's dislocated her elbow, shattered the cup/ball joint, broken some bones in her wrist and ripped all the muscles and tendons off!!!!! It's been 8 months and she still doesn't have full extension of the elbow (30% from straight) or full rotation of her wrist.

Suffice it to say she's sworn never to ride with clipless pedals again....

wackydeirdre said:
The chicks may dig the scars you have at present, you've been lucky it hasn't been worse. Yes, bones and skin do heal. If you should be unlucky enough to sever a ligament or even, yes land on your head and cause yourself some real damage I don't know how much the chicks will dig you. You sound young and extremely carefree. Nobody lives forever, but you will want to think about the quality of life you may have to look forward to while on this planet. Please take better care of yourself! If your pedals are not coming unclipped take your cleats to the shop and explain your situation. Advice is free and it could very well save your life some day. If you have speedplay pedals it's a simple matter of spraying some Dry Lube on your cleats before you go for a ride. As I always say to my kids, "safety first!".
It was seriously just a few days that I couldn't get out, a fluke. Like I said I havne't had any issues getting out lately, just issues clipping in when I take off on the first try. But I am safe, actually safer than most people I know. I follow all the traffic rules, avoid high traffic areas, etc. I don't take stupid chances and I am safe. I was hit twice this past spring and run off the road once, but they weren't becasue of my riding. The first time I was hit on a flat, strait road with no traffic and a 4 foot shoulder which I was riding on, well away from the road. Don't know exactly what happened there, but aside form a concussion and some bruises I was ok. Then a car full of 20 something year old guys opened a door into me while going through a small town. I avoid that town and route and such. But I appreciate my life very much and plan to be around for a long time. I just don't live in a very bike friendly area. And I was just making the point that I like scars, my own and others, and while I don't go out of my way to get hurt, they add character and in a way map out my life. Andy I'm bi and think that girls who go out and seek adventures (and have a few scars to show) is very hot!

I changed my regular platforms for strap platforms.

If I have not killed myself yet with these ... clipless will be a breeze to get used to.

Fallen every time I go out due my lack of unstrapping planning.

Gloves are good!!

Wow, I am just coming back to this thread for the first time in a couple of months and it's still going strong! That's great! :)

Since I got my new pedals I haven't had a single problem. The clipping in and out is second nature and I'm able to whip my feet out in emergencies. I still have it on a very loose setting and that works for me. DEFINITELY the biggest problem I had was the brand of pedal before. If only I had known that before gashing up my knee - twice! It still has a huge and hideous purple scar on it. I wonder if it will EVER fade away?

Still that pales in comparison to Eldron's gf. What a horrifying story! I'm not surprised she doesn't want to ever ride clipless again!

Peka said:
I just bought a mtb with Shimano pedals and Exustar shoes after not riding for ~10yrs. The pedals have platform on one side and clip-in on the other, which makes getting away from lights a bit easier, though I haven't had any major issues clipping in.

My advice is to practise balancing while stopped, so if you do have to stop and haven't unclipped, you won't go straight down. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll find it easy - 10yrs off a bike and I can still balance at the lights until I get to go again :)
Very interesting idea you've got there! I actially did that last week while riding around the neighborhood. Someone was pulling a very contrary full sized van out of their driveway but didn't see me (even though it was only slightly overcast, I was wearing white and bright yellow for visibility and I had flashing red lights on both the front and rear of my bike). Anyhow, the person took more time than I'd counted on to pull from the driveway so I slowed to a stop and balanced for a minute or two. I was pretty surprised at myself to be able to do that but I didn't feel like unclipping. Did you find out accidentally you could balance or did someone advise you?

I have been riding since 1974. I have never considered using clips. I just don't need them to have a good time. They might be handy on a long road trip, but in town they just look dangerous.

wackydeirdre said:
Did you find out accidentally you could balance or did someone advise you?
I'd seen the track riders doing it, and just got sick of having to loosen off my toe clips years ago. Actually it was more a case of being sick of having to get my feet back in the toe clips. So I just started practising, had a few falls, usually if I was a slight downhill. Drivers didn't seem to mind me falling in front of them at the lights, they always had a good laugh :)

lehowe0 said:
I have been riding since 1974. I have never considered using clips. I just don't need them to have a good time. They might be handy on a long road trip, but in town they just look dangerous
If you've been riding that long I'd suggest your balance would be pretty good? They really improve your pedalling efficiency, and once you get used to them they aren't really dangerous at all IMO. Even when I've messed up on some mtb trails I've been able to get my foot unclipped before hitting the dirt....

Peka said:
I'd seen the track riders doing it, and just got sick of having to loosen off my toe clips years ago. Actually it was more a case of being sick of having to get my feet back in the toe clips. So I just started practising, had a few falls, usually if I was a slight downhill. Drivers didn't seem to mind me falling in front of them at the lights, they always had a good laugh :)....
I always track stand. My feet don't come out of the clips from the time I leave home until the time I return. I ride a fixed-wheel on the road, so it's even easier, especially for stopping on a downhill.

lehowe0 said:
I have been riding since 1974. I have never considered using clips. I just don't need them to have a good time. They might be handy on a long road trip, but in town they just look dangerous.
They aren't dangerous at all, you just need to get used to them before getting onto a main road as it is essential to know how to get in and out of them quickly. Once you can do that they make for a far mor pleasant ride.:)

when i bought my mtb it had toeclips on i used them once fell off as i tried to move my foot off the pedal normally and did the same thing... never used them since never will..

i got a friend who has two bikes one with clips one normal and he gets better performance from the normal pedals..

funny that..
:eek:

1 week and still waiting for my wife to fall of her bike .... I dont think is going to happen because of the clipless.

I meant that the clipless are not a problem for her. 10 minute practice and she rules them.

20 years of skiing has to build up some coordination regarding attaching mechanisms

huhenio said:
I meant that the clipless are not a problem for her. 10 minute practice and she rules them.

20 years of skiing has to build up some coordination regarding attaching mechanisms

My poor wife just stated and her first hour of practice she went down four times. I felt bad for her but she never gave up and really liked the way they felt; She loved them going up hills.

I just bought my new clipless pedals and was keen to put them on and try them out. Reading all the advice on the forums, I practiced first in the garage - clip in, clip out. That's pretty easy. On to the street I go, clip in, clip out whilst riding. No worries. Oh there's the new neighbour standing on the side walk - I'l go over and introduce myself . Coming to a stop next to her, clip out right foot easy -whoops forgot left foot. In a split second, I'm sprawled out on the road in front of her! :eek: And to make it worse, my 15 year old son is at the top of the street LOL whilst I try and recover some dignity. Oh well, I explained I can ride a bike and I've just fitted new pedals that LOCK YOUR FEET TO THE PEDALS!!! Now must remember to unclip BOTH feet when coming to a stop.