Another begginer question OCR1 04 vs Merida 904 03

mach1 said:
Just like to know what the views are on these bikes OCR1 04 (www.giant-bicycle.com), Merida 904 03 (http://www.advancetraders.com.au/2003meridaroad904.htm). They are very similar just curious which do you guys feel would be the better buy. They are close in price with the OCR1 being $100 more. They seem to be similar spec.

Thanks
I have about 100 miles so far on a new OCR1. I like it very much. The frame quality seems to be top-notch and the components are very smooth. I also find/found it to be rather comfortable. I compared it to the Allez Elite and found the ride to be stiff and unforgiving on the Allez.

My only complaint is the weight of the bike(about 22lbs.) If this bike was 3-5 lbs lighter it would be perfect. I wonder how much more energy it takes to me to get up the hills than my riding buddies?

I would still highly recommend it.

Are you limited to these two choices of bike?

There are a ton of bikes out there that are of a similar spec (105, Carbon Fork, Al Frame).

I would suggest also having a look at the Avanti Giro (around $1799, might be able to get it cheaper on runout) The equivilent specd Raceline and for something different check out Alchemy Bikes www.alchemybikes.com

I got a Diablo 105 earlier this year and it is top notch for about the same price.

Good Luck and enjoy test riding