Another bike "tune up" story

Jim

Guest
My wife's friend decided to get into cycling and brought up her trusty
21 speed bike from the basement, where it had been gathering dust.
It's a low-end bike shop bike. First thing she did was take it to a
local shop (Fairport, NY) for the $129.99 + 8.25% sales tax tune up
"special". Here's what they did:

The tires were old and cracking. They put on a cheap new set + tubes.
So far so good.

It was dusty from sitting. They took a power washer (!!!) to it. She
has no details on spraying the hub areas, bottom bracket or headset.

Adjusted the cables, they stretch, you know. I'll buy that.

What they didn't do:

Clean the filthy and now rusting chain. Didn't lubricate, either. It
squeaked quite loudly. It was an old-style chain, too wide for a
removable link and I replaced it with a SRAM chain + removable link.

Clean the caked-on dirt from the jockey pulleys, chainring and
cluster. No comment needed.

True the wheels. The rear wheel has a bad case of wobble and bobble.
Even the front wheel was out of true. I'll let them take care of
that.

They messed up on both derailleur limit screws. In the back the chain
could be shifted between the cluster and spokes. In the front it was
difficult to get on the large chainring and the chain continuously
rubbed on it.

Now I'm afraid of what else will turn up. I am picturing opening up a
wheel hub and finding dried-out grease and rusty ball bearings. Bottom
bracket and headset, too. Aren't pressure washers wonderful things?

Now that I'm done venting, what does the R.B.T. gang think. Meethinks
she got ripped off. How often does this kind of nonsense happen?

Ciao,
Jim

I'd go by the shop, give the NY jew his chance and then call the cc company
and tell them the service was not perform, therefore you're disputing the
charge.

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:31:44 GMT, Jim <[email protected]> wrote:

>Now that I'm done venting, what does the R.B.T. gang think. Meethinks
>she got ripped off. How often does this kind of nonsense happen?

I think it's quite possible that both she and the shop owner got
ripped off; it's not uncommon for a flat rate artist (as we called
them in the auto dealer trade) to shortchange the customer on such
jobs.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Jim wrote:
> My wife's friend decided to get into cycling and brought up her trusty
> 21 speed bike from the basement, where it had been gathering dust.
> It's a low-end bike shop bike. First thing she did was take it to a
> local shop (Fairport, NY) for the $129.99 + 8.25% sales tax tune up
> "special". Here's what they did:
>
> The tires were old and cracking. They put on a cheap new set + tubes.
> So far so good.
>
> It was dusty from sitting. They took a power washer (!!!) to it. She
> has no details on spraying the hub areas, bottom bracket or headset.
>
> Adjusted the cables, they stretch, you know. I'll buy that.
>
> What they didn't do:
>
> Clean the filthy and now rusting chain. Didn't lubricate, either. It
> squeaked quite loudly. It was an old-style chain, too wide for a
> removable link and I replaced it with a SRAM chain + removable link.
>
> Clean the caked-on dirt from the jockey pulleys, chainring and
> cluster. No comment needed.
>
> True the wheels. The rear wheel has a bad case of wobble and bobble.
> Even the front wheel was out of true. I'll let them take care of
> that.
>
> They messed up on both derailleur limit screws. In the back the chain
> could be shifted between the cluster and spokes. In the front it was
> difficult to get on the large chainring and the chain continuously
> rubbed on it.
>
> Now I'm afraid of what else will turn up. I am picturing opening up a
> wheel hub and finding dried-out grease and rusty ball bearings. Bottom
> bracket and headset, too. Aren't pressure washers wonderful things?
>
> Now that I'm done venting, what does the R.B.T. gang think. Meethinks
> she got ripped off. How often does this kind of nonsense happen?
>
> Ciao,
> Jim

Did you ask beforehand what they did for $129.95 "special"? Did they
give you an itemized invoice afterwards showing what they were supposed
to have accomplished?

In any case you should return to the shop and express your
dissatisfaction with the owner (best) or store manager (2nd best). Be
polite but be firm, if you think that you didn't get your moneys worth.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:31:44 +0000, Jim wrote:

> My wife's friend decided to get into cycling and brought up her trusty
> 21 speed bike from the basement, where it had been gathering dust.
> It's a low-end bike shop bike. First thing she did was take it to a
> local shop (Fairport, NY) for the $129.99 + 8.25% sales tax tune up
> "special". Here's what they did:

> Now that I'm done venting, what does the R.B.T. gang think. Meethinks
> she got ripped off. How often does this kind of nonsense happen?

Yeah, she got ripped off. $125 is a lot to replace a couple tires with
cheapo new ones. All the stuff you mentioned should have been done.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Jim wrote:
> My wife's friend decided to get into cycling and brought up her trusty
> 21 speed bike from the basement, where it had been gathering dust.
> It's a low-end bike shop bike. First thing she did was take it to a
> local shop (Fairport, NY) for the $129.99 + 8.25% sales tax tune up
> "special". Here's what they did:
>
> The tires were old and cracking. They put on a cheap new set + tubes.
> So far so good.
>
> It was dusty from sitting. They took a power washer (!!!) to it. She
> has no details on spraying the hub areas, bottom bracket or headset.
>
> Adjusted the cables, they stretch, you know. I'll buy that.
>
> What they didn't do:
>
> Clean the filthy and now rusting chain. Didn't lubricate, either. It
> squeaked quite loudly. It was an old-style chain, too wide for a
> removable link and I replaced it with a SRAM chain + removable link.
>
> Clean the caked-on dirt from the jockey pulleys, chainring and
> cluster. No comment needed.
>
> True the wheels. The rear wheel has a bad case of wobble and bobble.
> Even the front wheel was out of true. I'll let them take care of
> that.
>
> They messed up on both derailleur limit screws. In the back the chain
> could be shifted between the cluster and spokes. In the front it was
> difficult to get on the large chainring and the chain continuously
> rubbed on it.
>
> Now I'm afraid of what else will turn up. I am picturing opening up a
> wheel hub and finding dried-out grease and rusty ball bearings. Bottom
> bracket and headset, too. Aren't pressure washers wonderful things?
>
> Now that I'm done venting, what does the R.B.T. gang think. Meethinks
> she got ripped off. How often does this kind of nonsense happen?
>
> Ciao,
> Jim

I can only say what we would have done for a $125 delux tune...and that
is take the drive train off, clean in a solvent tank, clean and lube
completely and replace. Plus, overhaul the BB. Probably at least open
the hubs partially and add grease and adjust. Parts would have probably
been a new chain, new tires, new cables and housing.

> I can only say what we would have done for a $125 delux tune...and that
> is take the drive train off, clean in a solvent tank, clean and lube
> completely and replace. Plus, overhaul the BB. Probably at least open
> the hubs partially and add grease and adjust. Parts would have probably
> been a new chain, new tires, new cables and housing.

He was talking about New York. They have heavy taxes, and living wages
to pay, maybe some new tubes is all they could do. Your job, would have
cost them $300+, in New York.

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:16:07 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I can only say what we would have done for a $125 delux tune...and that
>> is take the drive train off, clean in a solvent tank, clean and lube
>> completely and replace. Plus, overhaul the BB. Probably at least open
>> the hubs partially and add grease and adjust. Parts would have probably
>> been a new chain, new tires, new cables and housing.

> He was talking about New York. They have heavy taxes, and living wages
>to pay, maybe some new tubes is all they could do. Your job, would have
>cost them $300+, in New York.

1) We're not talking about NYC here. Fairport is a suburb of
Rochester.

2) Have you ever looked into the cost of living in Boulder?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:57:48 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:16:07 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I can only say what we would have done for a $125 delux tune...and that
>>> is take the drive train off, clean in a solvent tank, clean and lube
>>> completely and replace. Plus, overhaul the BB. Probably at least open
>>> the hubs partially and add grease and adjust. Parts would have probably
>>> been a new chain, new tires, new cables and housing.

>> He was talking about New York. They have heavy taxes, and living wages
>>to pay, maybe some new tubes is all they could do. Your job, would have
>>cost them $300+, in New York.

>1) We're not talking about NYC here. Fairport is a suburb of
>Rochester.
>
>2) Have you ever looked into the cost of living in Boulder?
>
>jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dear John,

A quick google led to a site that offered to compare Boulder to
Rochester and suggested using a default $35k salary:

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=162&x=52&y=10

Somehow Rochester turned into Schenectady, which the site claims is
7.9% cheaper than Boulder.

New York City, however, is expected to be 73.8% more costly than
Boulder:

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=119&x=51&y=16

It is also 110% more expensive than the center of the universe:

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=140&newlocation=119&x=30&y=15

None of these general differences indicates that a $125 overhaul
should cost $300 elsewhere, but the price is usually determined by
whatever the traffic will bear. For $300, you can get a nice used bike
that works perfectly well. Mine have all cost under $250.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

news:eek:[email protected]...

> > It's either blatantly bigotted or refressingly non-pc.

> There's nothing refreshing about bigotry. "PC" is ****; civility is not.

Turning over a new leaf, Sorni?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yeah, it's offensive. But anyone who would post such **** is either
> trolling or too dense to "get it" as to why it *is* offensive, IMO.

Turning over a new leaf, Ozark?

<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I can only say what we would have done for a $125 delux tune...and that
>> is take the drive train off, clean in a solvent tank, clean and lube
>> completely and replace. Plus, overhaul the BB. Probably at least open
>> the hubs partially and add grease and adjust. Parts would have probably
>> been a new chain, new tires, new cables and housing.

> He was talking about New York. They have heavy taxes, and living wages
>to pay, maybe some new tubes is all they could do. Your job, would have
>cost them $300+, in New York.

Fairport is in upstate NY where the cost of living is more reasonable.
I didn't know ahead of time that she was getting into cycling. I will
assist in getting the bike fixed as it should be.

Thanks for the reinforcement,

Jim

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:09:50 -0300, "jtaylor"
<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> Yeah, it's offensive. But anyone who would post such **** is either
>> trolling or too dense to "get it" as to why it *is* offensive, IMO.
>>

>Turning over a new leaf, Ozark?

Well obviously you're not, as you are still humping away on Sorni and
Ozark's posts.

Although, it reminds me more of one of those little ankle biting dogs.
You know, the kind that nip at your ankles, but aren't capable of
grabbing on, or of doing any real damage or harm. Yup an ankle biter.

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:46:48 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:57:48 GMT, John Everett
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>> He was talking about New York. They have heavy taxes, and living wages
>>>to pay, maybe some new tubes is all they could do. Your job, would have
>>>cost them $300+, in New York.

>>1) We're not talking about NYC here. Fairport is a suburb of
>>Rochester.
>>
>>2) Have you ever looked into the cost of living in Boulder?
>>
>>jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

>Dear John,
>
>A quick google led to a site that offered to compare Boulder to
>Rochester and suggested using a default $35k salary:
>
>http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=162&x=52&y=10
>
>Somehow Rochester turned into Schenectady, which the site claims is
>7.9% cheaper than Boulder.
>
>New York City, however, is expected to be 73.8% more costly than
>Boulder:
>
>http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=119&x=51&y=16
>
>It is also 110% more expensive than the center of the universe:
>
>http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=140&newlocation=119&x=30&y=15
>
>None of these general differences indicates that a $125 overhaul
>should cost $300 elsewhere, but the price is usually determined by
>whatever the traffic will bear. For $300, you can get a nice used bike
>that works perfectly well. Mine have all cost under $250.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Dear Carl:

Way too much time on our hands?

Cheers,

Jeff Starr wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:09:50 -0300, "jtaylor"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Turning over a new leaf, Ozark?

> Well obviously you're not, as you are still humping away on Sorni and
> Ozark's posts.
>
> Although, it reminds me more of one of those little ankle biting dogs.
> You know, the kind that nip at your ankles, but aren't capable of
> grabbing on, or of doing any real damage or harm. Yup an ankle biter.

Careful, Jeff. Ol' JFT will accuse you of using /sexual imagery/ in your
post!

LOL (I couldn't make this stuff up.) LOL

Bill "I'm just surprised he didn't cross-post it to that UK outfit" S.

John Everett wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:46:48 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:57:48 GMT, John Everett
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> 1) We're not talking about NYC here. Fairport is a suburb of
>>> Rochester.
>>>
>>> 2) Have you ever looked into the cost of living in Boulder?
>>>
>>> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

>> Dear John,
>>
>> A quick google led to a site that offered to compare Boulder to
>> Rochester and suggested using a default $35k salary:
>>
>> http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=162&x=52&y=10
>>
>> Somehow Rochester turned into Schenectady, which the site claims is
>> 7.9% cheaper than Boulder.
>>
>> New York City, however, is expected to be 73.8% more costly than
>> Boulder:
>>
>> http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=119&x=51&y=16
>>
>> It is also 110% more expensive than the center of the universe:
>>
>> http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=140&newlocation=119&x=30&y=15
>>
>> None of these general differences indicates that a $125 overhaul
>> should cost $300 elsewhere, but the price is usually determined by
>> whatever the traffic will bear. For $300, you can get a nice used
>> bike that works perfectly well. Mine have all cost under $250.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

> Dear Carl:
>
> Way too much time on our hands?

Whaddya, new? <eg>

Sorni wrote:
> John Everett wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:46:48 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

> >> Dear John,
> >>
> >> A quick google led to a site that offered to compare Boulder to
> >> Rochester and suggested using a default $35k salary:
> >>
> >> http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=162&x=52&y=10
> >>
> >> Somehow Rochester turned into Schenectady, which the site claims is
> >> 7.9% cheaper than Boulder.
> >>
> >> New York City, however, is expected to be 73.8% more costly than
> >> Boulder:
> >>
> >> http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=217&newlocation=119&x=51&y=16
> >>
> >> It is also 110% more expensive than the center of the universe:
> >>
> >> http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingw...currentlocation=140&newlocation=119&x=30&y=15
> >>
> >> None of these general differences indicates that a $125 overhaul
> >> should cost $300 elsewhere, but the price is usually determined by
> >> whatever the traffic will bear. For $300, you can get a nice used
> >> bike that works perfectly well. Mine have all cost under $250.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Carl Fogel

> > Dear Carl:
> >
> > Way too much time on our hands?

> Whaddya, new? <eg>

Dear Sorni,

Don't pick on Geezer Gazoo, he'll tell yer daddy. ;-)

Cheers,
Ozark

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 01:15:45 GMT, "Sorni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jeff Starr wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:09:50 -0300, "jtaylor"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Turning over a new leaf, Ozark?

>> Well obviously you're not, as you are still humping away on Sorni and
>> Ozark's posts.
>>
>> Although, it reminds me more of one of those little ankle biting dogs.
>> You know, the kind that nip at your ankles, but aren't capable of
>> grabbing on, or of doing any real damage or harm. Yup an ankle biter.

>Careful, Jeff. Ol' JFT will accuse you of using /sexual imagery/ in your
>post!

Haven't you noticed, ol' JFT has been conspicuous by his absence. Not
that I am complaining.

>LOL (I couldn't make this stuff up.) LOL

Nobody in their right mind could.

>Bill "I'm just surprised he didn't cross-post it to that UK outfit" S.

I think it is best to leave sleeping Brits lie. Overall, they didn't
add much from a technical viewpoint.

I've had enough foolish debate and zealism to last a lifetime, but
I'll settle for a peaceful summer of tech talk.

I know, fat chance of that happening, but one can hope.

Life is Good!
Jeff

ife's friend decided to get into cycling and brought up her trusty
>21 speed bike from the basement, where it had been gathering dust.
>It's a low-end bike shop bike. First thing she did was take it to a
>local shop (Fairport, NY) for the $129.99 + 8.25% sales tax tune up
>"special". Here's what they did:

SNIP

The real question is what was advertised as included with the tune up?
The improperly adjusted limit screws and dry chain are inexcusable no
matter what was advertised.
Alex