Another bird story

Gags

Guest
This morning I was riding along the Yarra trail and I had a two small birds
fly out of the bushes on the side of the trail and one of them flew straight
into the side of my front wheel. It got caught in my spokes, spun around
maybe half a dozen times (smashing into the fork on each revolution) and
then came loose and flung up into the air. I had a quick look over my
shoulder to see if it was moving but, not surprisingly, it looked to be
pretty well dead.

Not sure what sort of bird it was as it was only just getting light and it
all happened pretty quickly. This is the second time that I have had a bird
do a kamikaze run into my front wheel on the way to work (the last one was
about three years ago from memory) - maybe I need to draw a couple of birds
on the top tube to keep a tally.

Gags

Gags wrote:
> ...This is the second time that I have had a bird
> do a kamikaze run into my front wheel on the way to work (the last one was
> about three years ago from memory) - maybe I need to draw a couple of birds
> on the top tube to keep a tally.

It's either that or use a disk wheel!

BTH

Gags wrote:
> This morning I was riding along the Yarra trail and I had a two small birds
> fly out of the bushes on the side of the trail and one of them flew straight
> into the side of my front wheel. It got caught in my spokes, spun around
> maybe half a dozen times (smashing into the fork on each revolution) and
> then came loose and flung up into the air. I had a quick look over my
> shoulder to see if it was moving but, not surprisingly, it looked to be
> pretty well dead.
>
> Not sure what sort of bird it was as it was only just getting light and it
> all happened pretty quickly. This is the second time that I have had a bird
> do a kamikaze run into my front wheel on the way to work (the last one was
> about three years ago from memory) - maybe I need to draw a couple of birds
> on the top tube to keep a tally.
>
> Gags

I have two bird stories.

Once when I was riding along the Mundabiddi trail at night, a bird
sleeping on the track rose up from the ground and ended up between my
knees. It was fluttering around trying to fly while I was trying to
ride, the whole time it was stuck between in the triangle formed by the
down-tube, seat tube and top tube, with my knees at either side. After
about 20 seconds it managed to escape and fly away. It was about the
size of a pigeon.

Another time, after a long night time ride in the bush, we were heading
back into town along the bitumen, just chatting as we went. I saw what I
thought was a large rock in the middle of the road, so I steered a few
centimetres to the right of it and all of a sudden it lifted up into the
air, banging on the bottom of my handlebars before flying up into the
night sky. It scared the living daylights out of all of us.

Dorfus

On Aug 29, 12:23 am, "Gags" <[email protected]> wrote:
> This morning I was riding along the Yarra trail and I had a two small birds
> fly out of the bushes on the side of the trail and one of them flew straight
> into the side of my front wheel. It got caught in my spokes, spun around
> maybe half a dozen times (smashing into the fork on each revolution) and
> then came loose and flung up into the air. I had a quick look over my
> shoulder to see if it was moving but, not surprisingly, it looked to be
> pretty well dead.
>
> Not sure what sort of bird it was as it was only just getting light and it
> all happened pretty quickly. This is the second time that I have had a bird
> do a kamikaze run into my front wheel on the way to work (the last one was
> about three years ago from memory) - maybe I need to draw a couple of birds
> on the top tube to keep a tally.
>
> Gags

One of the lads chopped a bird to bits at the BBN velodrone last
summer. Flew straight into his back wheel.
I've hit one on the motorbike once, it got jammed up under the
fairing, by the time I'd stopped it was well dead.
Nothing like a wombat ... bloody wombats!

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:13:14 -0700
Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

> One of the lads chopped a bird to bits at the BBN velodrone last
> summer. Flew straight into his back wheel.
> I've hit one on the motorbike once, it got jammed up under the
> fairing, by the time I'd stopped it was well dead.
> Nothing like a wombat ... bloody wombats!

I had one swoop in front of the motorcycle. It was hit by the
headlight and ended up hanging by one wing from the front indicator
stalk.

Rolled up to the servo with this bird on the bike, pity that was in
the days before cameras on mobile phones....

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Rolled up to the servo with this bird on the bike, pity that was in
> the days before cameras on mobile phones....
>
> Zebee

My mbike was in for a service one day and they asked how long the bird
had been in there? I had no idea what they were talking about until they
showed me a sparrow that was wedged into the cooling fins of the engine
and completely dessicated.

DaveB

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>> Rolled up to the servo with this bird on the bike, pity that was in
>> the days before cameras on mobile phones....
>>
>> Zebee

> My mbike was in for a service one day and they asked how long the bird had
> been in there? I had no idea what they were talking about until they
> showed me a sparrow that was wedged into the cooling fins of the engine
> and completely dessicated.
>
> DaveB

Ah, mummified wildlife. I found a rat like that when I helped a friend move
his mum's 25 year old fridge out of the house to make room for the new
fridge. It appears Mr. Rat had a Winnie the Pooh moment but no Piglet to
help him resolve it.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I had one swoop in front of the motorcycle. It was hit by the
> headlight and ended up hanging by one wing from the front indicator
> stalk.
>
> Rolled up to the servo with this bird on the bike, pity that was in
> the days before cameras on mobile phones....

Eons ago a colleague in Canberra told me he had a galah fly into his chest
while he was riding his motorbike on the Monaro highway. I believed him,
because I saw the bruise it made.

Even earlier, I was driving from Canberra to Melbourne and had a small bird
fly up into my windscreen at about Seymour. I stopped to check, saw that it
was still fluttering about, so put it inside my shirt to keep it warm. When
I got to my folks' place, I saw that it was (1. dead) and (2. a quail).
I made sure it didn't die in vain...

--
beerwolf

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:23:08 +1000, "Gags"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This morning I was riding along the Yarra trail and I had a two small birds
>fly out of the bushes on the side of the trail and one of them flew straight
>into the side of my front wheel. It got caught in my spokes, spun around
>maybe half a dozen times (smashing into the fork on each revolution) and
>then came loose and flung up into the air. I had a quick look over my
>shoulder to see if it was moving but, not surprisingly, it looked to be
>pretty well dead.
>
>Not sure what sort of bird it was as it was only just getting light and it
>all happened pretty quickly. This is the second time that I have had a bird
>do a kamikaze run into my front wheel on the way to work (the last one was
>about three years ago from memory) - maybe I need to draw a couple of birds
>on the top tube to keep a tally.

So, a bird in the wheel is not better than two birds in a bush.
Whereas a bird in the hand is.

Resound wrote:
> "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>> Rolled up to the servo with this bird on the bike, pity that was in
>>> the days before cameras on mobile phones....
>>>
>>> Zebee

>> My mbike was in for a service one day and they asked how long the bird had
>> been in there? I had no idea what they were talking about until they
>> showed me a sparrow that was wedged into the cooling fins of the engine
>> and completely dessicated.
>>
>> DaveB

> Ah, mummified wildlife. I found a rat like that when I helped a friend move
> his mum's 25 year old fridge out of the house to make room for the new
> fridge. It appears Mr. Rat had a Winnie the Pooh moment but no Piglet to
> help him resolve it.

Some friends of mine found a dead mouse in the toaster.

Dorfus

On 2007-08-29, beerwolf (aka Bruce)
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> I had one swoop in front of the motorcycle. It was hit by the
>> headlight and ended up hanging by one wing from the front indicator
>> stalk.
>>
>> Rolled up to the servo with this bird on the bike, pity that was in
>> the days before cameras on mobile phones....

> Eons ago a colleague in Canberra told me he had a galah fly into his chest
> while he was riding his motorbike on the Monaro highway. I believed him,
> because I saw the bruise it made.

My dad told me he hit a seagull (?) at 100km/h+~20km/h relative
velocity. A simple matter of holding onto the handlebars and
attempting to work one's bum back onto the seat and feet back on the
pedals.

> Even earlier, I was driving from Canberra to Melbourne and had a small bird
> fly up into my windscreen at about Seymour. I stopped to check, saw that it
> was still fluttering about, so put it inside my shirt to keep it warm. When
> I got to my folks' place, I saw that it was (1. dead) and (2. a quail).
> I made sure it didn't die in vain...

Yummy!

--
TimC
Can you keep your witty comments shorter dude? I can't

TimC wrote:

>> Even earlier, I was driving from Canberra to Melbourne and had a
>> small bird fly up into my windscreen at about Seymour. I stopped to
>> check, saw that it was still fluttering about, so put it inside my
>> shirt to keep it warm. When I got to my folks' place, I saw that it
>> was (1. dead) and (2. a quail). I made sure it didn't die in vain...

> Yummy!

It was indeed. Fried in butter, small but tasty :))

--
beerwolf

Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

> Some friends of mine found a dead mouse in the toaster.

Do you still call around there for breakfast?

Theo

beerwolf wrote:

> Eons ago a colleague in Canberra told me he had a galah fly into his
> chest while he was riding his motorbike on the Monaro highway. I
> believed him, because I saw the bruise it made.

I had a maggie hit me in the shin on the motorbike at 120 km/h, it hurt.
Some years ago the MRAWA had a helmet visor with a parrot beak imbedded in
it as part of their safety display.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Dorfus Dippintush wrote:
>
>> Some friends of mine found a dead mouse in the toaster.

> Do you still call around there for breakfast?
>
> Theo

Haven't seen any mice popping up there lately.

Dorfus