Another blind driver.

Pinky

Guest
It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

A car from the opposite direction was stationary in the right hand side of
his lane with his indicator going to turn across my lane. When I was
probably less than 12 feet from him, in the middle of the left hand lane, he
moved off directly aimed at the place I was going to be in a couple of
seconds or less. I thought that I was going to be under his wheels but my
new bikes brakes were effective and stopped me instantly and I did a base
over apex into the side of his car with my head finishing up about 2 inches
from the rear wheel of his car.

I didn't dare move cos I was in a lot of pain but got a bystander to ring
police and ambulance. The drivers first comment was "It was my fault" but
was more concerned about the fact that I was at the time swearing at him in
a mix of pain, relief that I was still alive and in frustration at the
totally unbelievable actions he had done.

I was watching him carefully and travelling at about 15 mph and was well
past the "point of no return" when I actually knew there was no room for him
to make a stupid move But he did.

I actually thought that I was going to be killed! Had I not applied very
effective brakes I would have been under his front wheels. As I write this I
am still extremely shocked by the event.

The A&E takes a long time but they where absolutely overwhelmed by injuries.
Many far worse than mine! I was there about 4 hours and after x-rays allowed
to come home.

The lady Senior consultant doctor who dealt with me was doing extra time
voluntarily to help out. She was reassuring but said
"6 weeks off the bike and the next few days are going to be very painful at
times!"

I don't know what the police are doing but I shall contact them tomorrow to
see what happens next.

All in all as I sit here I can say that I cannot believe that I am alive and
with relatively minor injuries. It was a cold day and I was triple layered
and was wearing "bib longs" and of course my helmet ( not that it did any
good but it might have saved my head from a nasty bump), I haven't even got
any abrasions/grazes but I can tell you those 3 ribs make up for it all.

Still finding ways to move around without pain!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Pinky wrote:
> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

Ouch! Much sympathy and best wishes for quick healing.. And this was
the brand new bike too..

comiserations

...d

On 29/01/2006 19:08, Pinky said,

> but I can tell you those 3 ribs make up for it all.

I feel for you - having had a few cracked ribs in the past (nowt to do
with cycling, but it's too embarrassing a story!) I know how you feel.

> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

There isn't a way. You also can't laugh, cough or sneeze for a week or
so. The worst of the pain does ease off though after a few days :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Pinky wrote:
> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

<snip tale of woe>

> --
> Trevor A Panther

Ouch, Trevor, sorry to hear about that. I hope you recover quickly and
well.

If I were in your place, I'd get a lawyer and make a claim, if only to
put home the lesson to that driver that he must take rather more care
around cyclists.

"Pinky" <[email protected]> writes:

> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

Owwwwwwww!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Pinky wrote:
<snip tale of woe>

> I don't know what the police are doing but I shall contact them
> tomorrow to see what happens next.

If they're anything like the police that dealt with my SMIDSY a few
years ago, they'll come round and ask you not to pursue it any further
:-/

> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

GWS

--
Mike

Pinky wrote:
> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

<snip>

> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

Crumbs! I'd like to say I share your pain, but of course I don't. I do
sympathise, though, if that's of any small comfort. The car driver, of
course, should have his important bits removed with a rusty tin opener.
Maybe he'll get a Visit from the Police, instead. Again, crumbs!

--
Brian G

Pinky wrote:
> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E
> with 3 broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.
>
> A car from the opposite direction was stationary in the right hand
> side of his lane with his indicator going to turn across my
> lane............

> I don't know what the police are doing but I shall contact them
> tomorrow to see what happens next............

> All in all as I sit here I can say that I cannot believe that I am
> alive and with relatively minor injuries.

Get well soon, and I am glad the injuries are minor.

As for the police, even if they prosecute the driver (unlikely), that
doesn't get you anything for either damaged bike or your injuries. The best
the police can do for you is to make the evidence stack in your direction
for any claim; their report may help your claim if you can get access to it.
If you want to pursue things, you need to lodge a claim for bike, clothing
and injuries against the driver of the vehicle, the driver should then pass
the matter to his insurer. I recommend that you find a solicitor to
undertake the matter, if you're a CTC member or a cycle club member, then
they should be able to assist in finding a suitable solicitor. If not,
possibly your house insurance might offer some help, or even via employer or
trade union. Personally, I would avoid "no win no fee" solicitors.
Witnesses would also help your claim, but I suspect those may be absent from
the description given, unless one of the bystanders had the good sense to
give you a contact name on a bit of paper at the time.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:08:03 +0000, Pinky wrote:

> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

Owwww! Sympathy.

> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

Ouch. Still, least it's only ribs. Just try not to laugh too much about
it (or run, bend down, lift things...).

Looking forward to the photos of the new kitchen and bike when the
insurance company sends the cheque.

"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

Trevor! How horrible! Glad you are still in the land of the living, albeit
somewhat knackered for a while!

Rest, heal & grow strong. In the meantime, if you are a CTC or BCF member,
get on to them in the morning, as the relevant bits of said organisatins
should be able to offer assistance in chasing things up, advising you, and
where necessary, helping you to recover costs. Keep receipts of everything
and take pics of your injuries, now and over time as bruising develops.

Get well soon.
helen s

Pinky wrote:

> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

Bad luck, Pinky.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Pinky wrote:
> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

<snip>

You wait till you wake up in the morning, forget you have busted ribs
and try to get up. That will involve a bit of lying down afterwards
wondering if this breathing thing is all its cracked up to be.

Still, you're here to tell the tale and it sounds like he'll get a few
points and a slapped wrist.

Get well soonest.

> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.
>
> A car from the opposite direction was stationary in the right hand side of
> his lane with his indicator going to turn across my lane. When I was probably
> less than 12 feet from him, in the middle of the left hand lane, he moved off
> directly aimed at the place I was going to be in a couple of seconds or less.
> I thought that I was going to be under his wheels but my new bikes brakes
> were effective and stopped me instantly and I did a base over apex into the
> side of his car with my head finishing up about 2 inches from the rear wheel
> of his car.
>
> I didn't dare move cos I was in a lot of pain but got a bystander to ring
> police and ambulance. The drivers first comment was "It was my fault" but was
> more concerned about the fact that I was at the time swearing at him in
> a mix of pain, relief that I was still alive and in frustration at the
> totally unbelievable actions he had done.
>
> I was watching him carefully and travelling at about 15 mph and was well past
> the "point of no return" when I actually knew there was no room for him to
> make a stupid move But he did.
>
> I actually thought that I was going to be killed! Had I not applied very
> effective brakes I would have been under his front wheels. As I write this I
> am still extremely shocked by the event.
>
> The A&E takes a long time but they where absolutely overwhelmed by injuries.
> Many far worse than mine! I was there about 4 hours and after x-rays allowed
> to come home.
>
> The lady Senior consultant doctor who dealt with me was doing extra time
> voluntarily to help out. She was reassuring but said
> "6 weeks off the bike and the next few days are going to be very painful at
> times!"
>
> I don't know what the police are doing but I shall contact them tomorrow to
> see what happens next.
>
> All in all as I sit here I can say that I cannot believe that I am alive and
> with relatively minor injuries. It was a cold day and I was triple layered
> and was wearing "bib longs" and of course my helmet ( not that it did any
> good but it might have saved my head from a nasty bump), I haven't even got
> any abrasions/grazes but I can tell you those 3 ribs make up for it all.
>
> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

Could have been a lot worse, did you make your own way to DRI or were
emergency services used?

Glad you are ok.

> If I were in your place, I'd get a lawyer and make a claim, if only to
> put home the lesson to that driver that he must take rather more care
> around cyclists.

I suspect he knows that now and is feeling dreadful about the whole
thing.

Glad to hear you're relatively OK and I hope the bike-less six weeks
pass quickly :)

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Pinky <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

Ouch! Sorry this happened to you, but glad to hear it was no worse.

I hope the police do something useful, but I shan't hold my breath....

--
Carol
Some are born weird, some achieve weirdness, and others

wafflycat wrote:

> Trevor! How horrible! Glad you are still in the land of the living,
> albeit somewhat knackered for a while!
>
> Rest, heal & grow strong. In the meantime, if you are a CTC or BCF
> member, get on to them in the morning, as the relevant bits of said
> organisatins should be able to offer assistance in chasing things up,
> advising you, and where necessary, helping you to recover costs. Keep
> receipts of everything and take pics of your injuries, now and over time
> as bruising develops.

Seems quite clear to me he was totally uninjured by the actual accident
but the PSF took the opportunity to take out those ribs with a couple of
paving slabs for wearing those b*b longs ;-)

Sympathy and get well soon Trevor

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Pinky wrote:

> It is 1840 and I have just got back home from Doncaster Royal A & E with 3
> broken ribs and a couple of packets of pain killers.

EEeeeeeeouch. Nasty. Sorry to hear about it.

> I don't know what the police are doing but I shall contact them tomorrow to
> see what happens next.

Don't expect much, but follow it through if they try and fob you off. Threaten
contacting your MP etc. CTC may also be able to advise if you are a member.

> Still finding ways to move around without pain!

That'll take some time :-(
I had two fractured in Sept '04 (an assault) that were still twinging at
Christmas. Getting up in the morning was worst, but they didn't hurt that much
when cycling so long as I didn't twist around or lift the bike.

Still waiting for the compensation but its due any year now.

Take care and get well soon - and nail the b*st*rd.

John B