Another bloody TCR Composite post with questions...

deus

Jun 7, 2005
Hello all

Yes, another "Giant TCR Composite purchasing" post! I already own a TCR Aluxx and am contemplating upgrading to the composite frame. I am from Australia and given its great value for money, I cant justify spending more on a European bike or on a Dura Ace setup. So my choice is a 2005 TCR Composite 1 with Ultegra. Questions:

1) Whats the story with the Tektro RX-60 composite dual-pivot brakes? Is it cost cutting? Would Ultegra brakes be better? (as it stands, they neatly complement the composite FSA crankset and frame of course).

2) Is there really a carbon shortage likely to push prices up as of the end of this year? (check the article quoted here http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=9747 ... it's discouraging me to wait for the 2006 range)

3) What is the best price in Australia? Have seen a Bicycling Australia ad quoting $3550 (retails is/was $4200).

Any comments/info on the above welcome and appreciated.

deus said:
Hello all

Yes, another "Giant TCR Composite purchasing" post! I already own a TCR Aluxx and am contemplating upgrading to the composite frame. I am from Australia and given its great value for money, I cant justify spending more on a European bike or on a Dura Ace setup. So my choice is a 2005 TCR Composite 1 with Ultegra. Questions:

1) Whats the story with the Tektro RX-60 composite dual-pivot brakes? Is it cost cutting? Would Ultegra brakes be better? (as it stands, they neatly complement the composite FSA crankset and frame of course).

2) Is there really a carbon shortage likely to push prices up as of the end of this year? (check the article quoted here http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=9747 ... it's discouraging me to wait for the 2006 range)

3) What is the best price in Australia? Have seen a Bicycling Australia ad quoting $3550 (retails is/was $4200).

Is there a carbon shortage...YES!
I'm a partner in a company that uses carbon in our products. Our suppliers can not give us firm pricing or availability of carbon for the upcoming year. Quotas are being set to which the demands for carbon will go to the manufacturers of military components, particularly the fighter jet makers.
I have received prices from a supplier for next year from a company in California that makes wings for fighter jets. The quote I have been given is 4 times this years price, with no guarrantee of delivery.
Unless bike manufacturers have a stockpile of carbon (which I doubt) you will see the prices for carbon fibre bikes go up signifigantly. If the price does not go up I would be curious to know what percentage of the carbon has been replaced by a product designed to fool the customer.

Also, what is the percentage of carbon in a cf bike?

deus said:
Hello all

1. Yes, Tektro brakes are cost cutting over the Ultegra. They will stop the bike, however, and weigh slightly more.

2. I am not aware of a carbon shortage? So someone else will have to answer that question. I was aware of Ultegra 10spd shortage here in the US.

3. In US dollars, the price is around $2800 - $2900 at my LBS.

Owning a 2004 OCR1 and OCR2 bicycles and having over 2500 miles on the OCR2 I can say the Tektro brakes are good enough. They stay centered and work as well as the Ultegra brakes I have on my Calfee Custom Tetra Pro carbon fiber bike. I think the Tektro brakes are well-built and durable. The slightly heavier weight is totally insignificant. The ounces or grams difference between them and Ultegra are less than a normal person's daily variation in weight.

I chose the Giant bikes because of the great bang for the buck they had when I was pricing bikes last year. I am not brand-loyal. I know what kind of ride I want and the geometry of frame that gives it. I know wheels make a bigger difference in road feel than the frame. That said, if you want a stiff frame, make sure you know the bike you choose has very good lateral stiffness.

The carbon Giants look very nice in my opinion. My take is to price bikes in your area and find the best values and go with them, regardless of brand. Fit is most important, after all. I am a fan of carbon bikes because I perceive that they will last a lot longer without failure than an aluminum bike. I'm pragmatic enough to know that a good steel bike can have the same qualities as my carbon bike except it won't be as light. Weight is an overly-hiped quality anyway. The only place you would wish for lighter is if you ride long hills.

I ride a 2005 TCR with campag Centaur 10 speed,ksyrium equipe rims. I find it very comfortable to ride compared with my ali framed bike.
it cost NZ $3995.
as for your comment on brakes,don't let a small problem with a brake put you off an excellent bike,they can always be replaced as finance allows?

deus said:
Hello all

Why should bikes made in europe be better than a bike made in asia ? it may be good it may be duff but where it´s made doesn´t affect the quality - how many Japanese parts are really made in Japan ( shimano ) or American in America ( ritchey ) etc and look closely at where your tyres are made , or your DVD player for that matter ( Grundig , Toshiba in Turkey , Phillips in Indonesia and only the gods know what coming out of China ) .

Alpha said:
Is there a carbon shortage...YES!
I'm a partner in a company that uses carbon in our products. Our suppliers can not give us firm pricing or availability of carbon for the upcoming year. Quotas are being set to which the demands for carbon will go to the manufacturers of military components, particularly the fighter jet makers.
I have received prices from a supplier for next year from a company in California that makes wings for fighter jets. The quote I have been given is 4 times this years price, with no guarrantee of delivery.
Unless bike manufacturers have a stockpile of carbon (which I doubt) you will see the prices for carbon fibre bikes go up signifigantly. If the price does not go up I would be curious to know what percentage of the carbon has been replaced by a product designed to fool the customer.

Also, what is the percentage of carbon in a cf bike?
Not sure what you mean by % of carbon in a cf bike (the frame monocoque, fork, brake calipers, seatpost on this Giant are all carbon) so this may give further insight http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/050.000.000/050.050.000.asp

Will be interesting to see what happens to any cf product in coming times...

Insight Driver said:
Owning a 2004 OCR1 and OCR2 bicycles and having over 2500 miles on the OCR2 I can say the Tektro brakes are good enough. They stay centered and work as well as the Ultegra brakes I have on my Calfee Custom Tetra Pro carbon fiber bike. I think the Tektro brakes are well-built and durable. The slightly heavier weight is totally insignificant. The ounces or grams difference between them and Ultegra are less than a normal person's daily variation in weight.

I chose the Giant bikes because of the great bang for the buck they had when I was pricing bikes last year. I am not brand-loyal. I know what kind of ride I want and the geometry of frame that gives it. I know wheels make a bigger difference in road feel than the frame. That said, if you want a stiff frame, make sure you know the bike you choose has very good lateral stiffness.

The carbon Giants look very nice in my opinion. My take is to price bikes in your area and find the best values and go with them, regardless of brand. Fit is most important, after all. I am a fan of carbon bikes because I perceive that they will last a lot longer without failure than an aluminum bike. I'm pragmatic enough to know that a good steel bike can have the same qualities as my carbon bike except it won't be as light. Weight is an overly-hiped quality anyway. The only place you would wish for lighter is if you ride long hills.
I think you summed it up perfectly with "great bang for the buck" hence the reason why I am already a Giant owner! Thanks for the comments :)

grampy bone said:
1. Yes, Tektro brakes are cost cutting over the Ultegra. They will stop the bike, however, and weigh slightly more.

2. I am not aware of a carbon shortage? So someone else will have to answer that question. I was aware of Ultegra 10spd shortage here in the US.

3. In US dollars, the price is around $2800 - $2900 at my LBS.
I had not realised the Tektro weigh more. As someone else said in this thread, I dont think I will let it compromise my choice so thanks for the comforting comments. I presume they will still be an improvement over the Shimano 105 (2001) calipers I have on my existing Giant TCR.

euroferg said:
I ride a 2005 TCR with campag Centaur 10 speed,ksyrium equipe rims. I find it very comfortable to ride compared with my ali framed bike.
it cost NZ $3995.
as for your comment on brakes,don't let a small problem with a brake put you off an excellent bike,they can always be replaced as finance allows?
Your thinking is my thinking... I wont let a minor detail compromise my choice. As for future upgrades, you are right... my other Giant could easily inherit the Tektro if/when necessary. Had thought about the Euro you now own too but the fact I have a Shimano 105 bike means I will stick with the Ultegra because of their compatibility. Happy riding the Campag!