Another case of positive test with testosterone (stage 11)

poulidor

Jul 31, 2006
It just announced by French TV , information given by ASO. They don't have the name...

poulidor said:
It just announced by French TV , information given by ASO. They don't have the name...
How can this be? Landis told us all that testosterone doesn't do any good. ;)

I wish the ASO would spend the money to have all the samples tested with the CIR test. I think they would catch a lot of riders.

trucker39 said:
What's the CIF test Bro? Don't tell me the testing is inadequate!!?
Carbon Isotope Ratio test. The standard protocol is to test the testosterone:epitestosterone ratio and if the urine sample fails that they use the CIR test to detect exogenous testosterone. As long as a rider keeps their T:E ratio in check the CIR test is not used.

The CIR test cost a lot more than the T:E ratio test.

Bro Deal said:
Carbon Isotope Ratio test. The standard protocol is to test the testosterone:epitestosterone ratio and if the urine sample fails that they use the CIR test to detect exogenous testosterone. As long as a rider keeps their T:E ratio in check the CIR test is not used.

The CIR test cost a lot more than the T:E ratio test.
Thanks for the info. Do you think compulsory DNA profiling is far away?

trucker39 said:
Thanks for the info. Do you think compulsory DNA profiling is far away?
If you mean keeping DNA information to compare against Fuentes like blood operations then it looks like it's coming. The laws in europe seem to complicate this, but I am not familiar with the legal issues.

Keeping some sort of DNA profile to detect gene doping probably won't happen until gene doping is shown to be in use.

Bro DealI wish the ASO would spend the money to have all the samples tested with the CIR test. I think they would catch a lot of riders.[/QUOTE said:
According to L'Equipe it was the IRMS test not the T/E ratio. Foster won the stage, Rasmussen in yellow or a random rider.

Wayne666 said:
According to L'Equipe it was the IRMS test not the T/E ratio. Foster won the stage, Rasmussen in yellow or a random rider.
Hmmm. Da Chicken doing down?

Evans up to second and to win the yellow during the ITT if he can limit damages today (a tall order)?

Bro Deal said:
Hmmm. Da Chicken doing down?

Evans up to second and to win the yellow during the ITT if he can limit damages today (a tall order)?
Tested after stage 11 were;

Michael Rasmussen (RAB)
Robert Hunter (BLW)
Kim Kirchen (TMO)
Patxi Vila (LAM)
Christian Moreni (COF)
Lilian Jégou (FDJ)
Erik Zabel (MRM)
Maxim Iglinskiy (AST)

Moller said:
Tested after stage 11 were;

Michael Rasmussen (RAB)
Robert Hunter (BLW)
Kim Kirchen (TMO)
Patxi Vila (LAM)
Christian Moreni (COF)
Lilian Jégou (FDJ)
Erik Zabel (MRM)
Maxim Iglinskiy (AST)
I am going to guess at it being Kirchen. No idea why just having a stab in the dark.

alvynmcq said:
I am going to guess at it being Kirchen. No idea why just having a stab in the dark.
If it's Kirchen we can kiss T-Mobile's sponsorship goodbye.

I hope it is Ras but I'll bet on Iglinskiy.

If they know a rider who tested positive is competing as we speak, what is the purpose of waiting to announce the result?

Bro Deal said:
If it's Kirchen we can kiss T-Mobile's sponsorship goodbye.

I hope it is Ras but I'll bet on Iglinskiy.
I hope for the sakes of the French teams and T-Mobile who at least appear to be in favor of clean cycling that it is not one of their riders. Although Cofidis to me is always suspect despite their public stance.

I'd say equal odds on Iglinsky, Vila or Ras maybe Hunter too.

Rasmussen or Zabel would be disastrous.

IH8LANCE said:
If they know a rider who tested positive is competing as we speak, what is the purpose of waiting to announce the result?
Good question. Were the organizers informed after the start?

IH8LANCE said:
Most of these tests aren't like a pregnancy test. They can be long multistep processes that take days to complete. And there is every possibility the lab is backed-up and can't do them as fast as they could be done even within the parameters of the test.

Wayne666 said:
Most of these tests aren't like a pregnancy test. They can be long multistep processes that take days to complete. And there is every possibility the lab is backed-up and can't do them as fast as they could be done even within the parameters of the test.
I think what he is saying is that at some point the result become known. Yet they are waiting to hold a press conferance to announce the result. Why not just prevent the rider from starting and then hold your press conferance later in the day.

Wayne666 said:
That's not what I mean. The test results are now apparently complete, yet they are waiting to announce them, and allowing a rider who tested positive to affect the results of today's stage by competing.

IH8LANCE said:
That's not what I mean. The test results are now apparently complete, yet they are waiting to announce them, and allowing a rider who tested positive to affect the results of today's stage by competing.
Unless the rider is already out of the race.

IH8LANCE said:
This may be another leak to Ressiot from his mole at the LNDD. It's not clear that the rider/team/UCI have been informed prior to the report?

Vino's positive seemed to become known all at once, i.e. L'Equipe was reporting it at approximately the same time as Astana/UCI knew.