Another cokeur in the making!

Andrew_carter

Guest
Today a unicyclist friend of mine *gave* me a coker frame
(with seat, Simano XT brake, and brake extender attached),
and rim because I'm teaching him to idle and some techniques
of muni! Soon I'll also have the rest of the wheel and will
have fun lacing it up and riding a beautiful coker.

Meanwhile he's bought himself an airfoil rim, Hunter
frame, GB4 handle, and cycle computer...it looks
absolutely beautiful. He bought the frame bare and powder
coated it a nice blue. The Hunter frame is amazingly
smooth...perfect in every way. I could also definately
notice the difference between his new coker and his old
one as soon as I hopped on.

But enough about that...check out the photos -
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album129

I'm excited. I hope I do a good job of teaching him. I feel
guilty accepting such a generous gift.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Good score Andrew :p You'll love the Coker.

I'm just curious- everything I've read on RSU regarding the
original Coker rim says that they are not able to be trued?
Did your friend take the spokes off them so he could use
them on his Airfoil rim? Have you got spokes to rebuild your
rim with? I thoroughly recommend Stainless Steel spokes-
they're much lighter and won't corrode as much.

I like the XT V-brake- looks good on that frame.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Adventure unicyclist

o-kO

I recently trued a friend's original Coker rim and I had no
problems doing so. It wasn't horribly bent but the bend was
noticable. I found it easier than truing most wheels
actually because with all that momentum you can observe the
faults in the rim for longer without having to spin it
again...which is handy when you're truing it by holding the
frame between your legs and using your thumb as I was. It's
reasonably true now.

Yes, my friend used the spokes, hub, cranks, tube, and tyre
for his Hunter 36". I believe he has some spokes on order as
well as a tyre and tube and he offered to let me use them
and order more for him later. He was ordering them as a
spare set.

I'm assuming these are the spokes I'll get -
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=277 . Where
would I find Stainless Steel spokes long enough to fit a
Coker? Would I have to cut and roll them myself?

Yes, the brake's beautiful...the lever also has a lock on it
so you can leave the brake on to rest the uni against a
fence or something. Rather handy in my opinion.

Soon I'll assemble it all and put my cycle computer on
it...can't wait!

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

I got mine from Nathan Hoover via Dave Stockton (U-Turn) via
Tommy Miller from the unicycle factory.

They're so light! Galvanised ones that come on the original
wheel is really thick- but I don't think they would be any
stronger. Plus they corrode- you wouln't find those kind of
spokes on anything but the lower end bikes.

The SS spokes aren't cheap at US $110. I think if you're
going to spend that much you might as well upgrade to
the Airfoil rim. In the meantime I'm sure the spokes
you've got will be just fine for your rim. You might be
able to get some SS spokes cut for you- haven't looked
into that too much.

Have fun!

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Adventure unicyclist

o-kO

If you know someone with a spoke rolling machine, you can
save yourself some money. I cut and rolled them myself,
spokes $1 each, nipples .25 cents each. The original spokes
are 12 gauge, the ss are 14.

--
Dirtsurfer - One wheeled

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

I used to work at a bike shop and I'm sure they would let me
use their spoke rolling thing. The question remains though,
where can I find the SS spokes to cut and roll? Or are you
also talking about the Unicycle Factory ones?

By the way, *the original Coker rim weighs 1860g* +/- about
10g. I'll weigh the rest of the parts as I recireve them.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

A good score indeed!:cool: :) Who gave it to you? What a
great guy he is, whoever he is!

Apparently making long spokes is not really difficult, so
with your spoke roller and some decently strong wire you
could make yourself a set of spokes equivalent to or better
than the standard coker spokes. Or you could ask Wayne if he
knows anyone in Oz who makes spokes for penny farthings -
they could help you out. See some discussion and ranting on
'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/3bq3o)

Looks like the brake bosses have been welded on - a more
elegant solution than the strap-on Odyssey mount. Very nice!

BTW what's a 'Cokeur'? Some kind of French wheel?

-Tony_-)

--
TonyMelton - Up, up and awaaaay!

See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

A Cokeur is a Coker rider. :) I believe I first read the
term in one of Mikefule's posts. I think it's a great name
for a coker rider.

Andrew

--

andrew_carter wrote:
> *A Cokeur is a Coker rider. :) I believe I first read the
> term in one of Mikefule's posts. I think it's a great name
> for a coker rider.*
It looks better than cokerer er er.:eek: :p Is it pronounced
as if it's French?;)

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

On Sat, 22 May 2004 22:07:07 -0500, "brian.slater" wrote:

>Is it pronounced as if it's French?;)

That's what I 'hear' when I read it, but Mikefule would be
the one to tell.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

andrew_carter wrote:
> *Or are you also talking about the Unicycle Factory ones?
> *
Yes on the Unicycle Factory spokes, though the shipping
would raise the unit cost. Uni.com UK spoke calculator is
very accurate for cutting the length, also gives you the
option of two, three, or four crossing the spokes.

--

andrew_carter wrote:
> *A Cokeur is a Coker rider. :) I believe I first read the
> term in one of Mikefule's posts. I think it's a great name
> for a coker rider. *

I take it as a play on the word 'poseur'. While poseur has a
negative connotation, I don't think that it carries over. I
like 'cokeur' as a word too.

--
grey - George Kleinert

"be carefull not to violate the cardinal rule: never sleep with anybody
who is crazier than you are.
- evilewan
grey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4330