another custom Wheel question

Ainsie said:
Also any opinions on the Edge 46mm clincher rims?

Hotness in black. I want to build a set to some black Tune Hubs with black CX-Rays. 24 radial front, 28 rear (3x both sides). Hot hot hot.

parawolf said:
Hotness in black. I want to build a set to some black Tune Hubs with black CX-Rays. 24 radial front, 28 rear (3x both sides). Hot hot hot.

Big money also...but whatever blow's yer skirt up.....

PeterF said:
What are your thoughts on Ambrosio's?

Ambrosio may be the most used brand at any of the Spring Classics, Flanders, Paris-Roubais.......

Excellence and Excelight SSC are stellar clinchers. Stellar. Did I mention that they're stellar? They cost a bit more, but they are......wait........here it comes........stellar.

Peter@vecchios said:
Another...of the perhaps 700-800 OpenPros and CXP-33s I have built (along with lots of Velocity, DT, some Sun a few Alex), in the last few years, the only rim that consistently pulls eyelets out is the OpenPro....
Hmmm, good comeback :) ......although, I don't know a heap about Open Pros, coz I've only had a couple, but I've had a few Open 4Cds -- were they any better?

alienator said:
Ambrosio may be the most used brand at any of the Spring Classics, Flanders, Paris-Roubais.......

Excellence and Excelight SSC are stellar clinchers. Stellar. Did I mention that they're stellar? They cost a bit more, but they are......wait........here it comes........stellar.
Woah!! Slow down, Iron-Stine. Are you trying to say they're 'stellar'? :p

Hmmm....food for thought. Good rap. I might have to check some out, but the rims tend to be about 50 bucks more (each) down here.

PeterF said:
What are your thoughts on Ambrosio's?

Very nice rims like Mavic used to be. I have had some sent to me for building and I always liked them. same for FIR rims. Ambrosio are imported only to Ital Techno, AFAIK and he wouldn't sell rims to me at anything like wholesale even for a fair number of them. FIR no longer brought in(used to be by ZAR, no more). I tried to contact Ambrosio directly but ever got an answer(imagine that, maybe I'll try it in Italian).

Wish DT made a tubie rim, I really like their quality, but expensive(like Ambrosio). Of the few Alex I have built, they seem somewhat 'soft', like SUN but they are cheap and if you use enough spokes and don't try to make a too light wheel for the use, they can be OK.

I am somewhat intrigued by the 'niobium' rims, distributed by Merry Sales(IRD). They seem like Velocity only lighter. Somewhat limited shapes and drillings tho.

More thoughts than just Ambrosio. Of the 'stuff' I do on bikes, building wheels is my favorite, many requests for custom builds these days.

Peter@vecchios said:
I am somewhat intrigued by the 'niobium' rims, distributed by Merry Sales(IRD). They seem like Velocity only lighter. Somewhat limited shapes and drillings tho.
Looking at the IRD Cadence Aero's they look and sound very much like the Kinlin XR-300's. The only variation appears to be an ERD of 577mm on the Kinlins V 576mm on the IRD's.

Do you think Merry Sales are brining these in under their own banner but they are really rebranded Kinlin's?

Ainsie said:
Looking at the IRD Cadence Aero's they look and sound very much like the Kinlin XR-300's. The only variation appears to be an ERD of 577mm on the Kinlins V 576mm on the IRD's.

Do you think Merry Sales are brining these in under their own banner but they are really rebranded Kinlin's?

I'm pretty sure all these are the same rims with different decals. I have talked to another guy who has buolt a few and he wasn't impressed. You can tewll a lot about a rim when you build it. Sometimes it translates to how reliable the wheel will be. I think all this about trying to save 50-100 grams on a rim(100-200 grams for a wheel) is pretty silly. 200 grams on a pretty average 85,000+ gram package...that may not be reliable..silly. Just about every rider out there with the exception of genuine pros, and even some of them, can lose a portion of a SBW(Standard Bike Weight-20 pounds), and be healthier for it and ride better, and climb better, and look better...etc. but it's harder than just buying something.

Ainsie said:

I'm pretty sure all these are the same rims with different decals. I have talked to another guy who has buoilt a few and he wasn't impressed. You can tell a lot about a rim when you build it. Sometimes it translates to how reliable the wheel will be. I think all this about trying to save 50-100 grams on a rim(100-200 grams for a wheel) is pretty silly. 200 grams on a pretty average 85,000+ gram package...that may not be reliable..silly. Just about every rider out there with the exception of genuine pros, and even some of them, can lose a portion of a SBW(Standard Bike Weight-20 pounds), and be healthier for it and ride better, and climb better, and look better...etc. but it's harder than just buying something.

Peter@vecchios said:
Very nice rims like Mavic used to be. I have had some sent to me for building and I always liked them. same for FIR rims. Ambrosio are imported only to Ital Techno, AFAIK and he wouldn't sell rims to me at anything like wholesale even for a fair number of them. FIR no longer brought in(used to be by ZAR, no more). I tried to contact Ambrosio directly but ever got an answer(imagine that, maybe I'll try it in Italian).

Wish DT made a tubie rim, I really like their quality, but expensive(like Ambrosio). Of the few Alex I have built, they seem somewhat 'soft', like SUN but they are cheap and if you use enough spokes and don't try to make a too light wheel for the use, they can be OK.

More thoughts than just Ambrosio. Of the 'stuff' I do on bikes, building wheels is my favorite, many requests for custom builds these days.

Hi Peter,
What do you think of the Ambrosio hubs? They are significantly cheaper than Record hubs in the UK by about $150.

Cheers
Tonto

Tonto said:
Hi Peter,
What do you think of the Ambrosio hubs? They are significantly cheaper than Record hubs in the UK by about $150.

Cheers
Tonto

If you're in the UK, you should consider Royce hubs (ooooooooeeeerrrrrrrr: dead sexy and very good) and Goldtec hubs. Goldtec has been getting some very nice reviews. They're made in the UK if that's the sort of thing that flips your skirt up.

Ambrosio hubs are a great step up from entry level, and for the money fair well.

You can't compare them to Campag.

If you can, save your money for Royce (another very good hub manufacturer who make campag splined hubs), British made with amazing attention to detail.