Another cycling fatality - San Diego

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Neil Brooks, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    http://snipurl.com/cihh

    Tragic. Tragic.

    Pretty light on details so far.

    As the crow flies, this would be about one mile from my house . . . .

    ===================================
    4:31 p.m. February 2, 2005

    SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
    Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.

    David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
    northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about 7:45
    a.m., according to San Diego police.

    The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled over,
    SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of
    apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

    Tags:

  2. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Neil Brooks wrote:
    > http://snipurl.com/cihh
    >
    > Tragic. Tragic.
    >
    > Pretty light on details so far.
    >
    > As the crow flies, this would be about one mile from my house . . . .
    >
    > ===================================
    > 4:31 p.m. February 2, 2005
    >
    > SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
    > Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.
    >
    > David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
    > northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about
    > 7:45 a.m., according to San Diego police.
    >
    > The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled
    > over, SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for
    > treatment of apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

    Been hearing this on the news most of day. Very sad. (Apparently the
    cyclist was married with at least one child; was on his way to work, I
    heard.)

    I've ridden once or twice on Morena Blvd., and it is NOT a bike-friendly
    route. No bike lane AFAIK, and the damn drivers speed like Gene Hackman.

    If I do the Palm Springs Century on Saturday, I'll say a little prayer for
    David Little and his family before it starts. God bless 'em.

    Bill "not in shape, but this lends perspective" S.

  3. Ravi

    Ravi Guest

    really sad to hear :(

    > SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
    > Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.
    >
    > David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
    > northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about 7:45
    > a.m., according to San Diego police.

    isn't the AM traffic more safer ??

    > The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled over,
    > SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of
    > apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

    this is strange - minor injuries to the motorist ?! and wonder how and
    why he 'kept driving for a few blocks' ?!!?

    +ravi

  4. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > really sad to hear :(
    >
    > this is strange - minor injuries to the motorist ?! and

    wonder how and
    > why he 'kept driving for a few blocks' ?!!?

    He might have been tempted to do a hit and run, then thought
    better of it.
    Better late than never.

    ?? Burns from spilling his coffee in his lap ??

  5. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Mike Kruger" wrote: (clip) He might have been tempted to do a hit and run,
    then thought better of it. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I was witness to a two car accident in which a similar thing b took place.
    The driver sideswiped a parked car--then stopped briefly and looked back. I
    pulled out some paper, and I believe he clearly saw me writing down his
    license number. He then drove on for half a block, stopped, and sat there.
    I believe he was drunk, and was weighing his options. I don't know at what
    distance "stopping at the scene" becomes "leaving the scene," but it looked
    to me like he was trying to split the difference. By remaining in his car
    for a while before being approached, he was probably hoping to sober up a
    little.

  6. It is so sad when a bicyclist is killed/injured. Hit and runs are
    becoming more common.

    My car was hit from the rear while parked in front of my house,
    knocking it from the north side of the driveway to the south side. I
    never even noticed it, as it was still seemingly parked correctly, and
    I didn't remember where I parked it.

    The dirver who hit it drove away, and I only discovered the car had
    been totaled when the driver decided to return after several minutes.
    She was a neighbor who was loaded up on Nyquil for a bad cold, and was
    still in a stuporous state when she returned! Amazingly, we both had
    the same insurance company.

  7. Neil Brooks wrote:
    > http://snipurl.com/cihh
    >
    > Tragic. Tragic.
    >
    > Pretty light on details so far.
    >
    > As the crow flies, this would be about one mile from my house . . . .
    >
    > ===================================
    > 4:31 p.m. February 2, 2005
    >
    > SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
    > Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.
    >
    > David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
    > northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about

    7:45
    > a.m., according to San Diego police.
    >
    > The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled

    over,
    > SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for

    treatment of
    > apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050203/news_7m3bike.html

    This link give a little more details.

    Tom