Another cycling fatality - San Diego

Neil Brooks

Guest
http://snipurl.com/cihh

Tragic. Tragic.

Pretty light on details so far.

As the crow flies, this would be about one mile from my house . . . .

===================================
4:31 p.m. February 2, 2005

SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.

David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about 7:45
a.m., according to San Diego police.

The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled over,
SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of
apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

Neil Brooks wrote:
> http://snipurl.com/cihh
>
> Tragic. Tragic.
>
> Pretty light on details so far.
>
> As the crow flies, this would be about one mile from my house . . . .
>
> ===================================
> 4:31 p.m. February 2, 2005
>
> SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
> Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.
>
> David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
> northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about
> 7:45 a.m., according to San Diego police.
>
> The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled
> over, SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for
> treatment of apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

Been hearing this on the news most of day. Very sad. (Apparently the
cyclist was married with at least one child; was on his way to work, I
heard.)

I've ridden once or twice on Morena Blvd., and it is NOT a bike-friendly
route. No bike lane AFAIK, and the damn drivers speed like Gene Hackman.

If I do the Palm Springs Century on Saturday, I'll say a little prayer for
David Little and his family before it starts. God bless 'em.

Bill "not in shape, but this lends perspective" S.

really sad to hear :(

> SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
> Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.
>
> David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
> northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about 7:45
> a.m., according to San Diego police.

isn't the AM traffic more safer ??

> The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled over,
> SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of
> apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

this is strange - minor injuries to the motorist ?! and wonder how and
why he 'kept driving for a few blocks' ?!!?

+ravi

"Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> really sad to hear :(
>
> this is strange - minor injuries to the motorist ?! and

wonder how and
> why he 'kept driving for a few blocks' ?!!?

He might have been tempted to do a hit and run, then thought
better of it.
Better late than never.

?? Burns from spilling his coffee in his lap ??

"Mike Kruger" wrote: (clip) He might have been tempted to do a hit and run,
then thought better of it. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was witness to a two car accident in which a similar thing b took place.
The driver sideswiped a parked car--then stopped briefly and looked back. I
pulled out some paper, and I believe he clearly saw me writing down his
license number. He then drove on for half a block, stopped, and sat there.
I believe he was drunk, and was weighing his options. I don't know at what
distance "stopping at the scene" becomes "leaving the scene," but it looked
to me like he was trying to split the difference. By remaining in his car
for a while before being approached, he was probably hoping to sober up a
little.

It is so sad when a bicyclist is killed/injured. Hit and runs are
becoming more common.

My car was hit from the rear while parked in front of my house,
knocking it from the north side of the driveway to the south side. I
never even noticed it, as it was still seemingly parked correctly, and
I didn't remember where I parked it.

The dirver who hit it drove away, and I only discovered the car had
been totaled when the driver decided to return after several minutes.
She was a neighbor who was loaded up on Nyquil for a bad cold, and was
still in a stuporous state when she returned! Amazingly, we both had
the same insurance company.

Neil Brooks wrote:
> http://snipurl.com/cihh
>
> Tragic. Tragic.
>
> Pretty light on details so far.
>
> As the crow flies, this would be about one mile from my house . . . .
>
> ===================================
> 4:31 p.m. February 2, 2005
>
> SAN DIEGO - A bicyclist struck by a car at a Bay Ho-area intersection
> Wednesday died at the scene, authorities reported.
>
> David Little, 37, of Clairemont was westbound on Avati Drive when the
> northbound Pontiac Grand Prix struck him at Morena Boulevard about

7:45
> a.m., according to San Diego police.
>
> The 20-year-old motorist kept driving for a few blocks, then pulled

over,
> SDPD Sgt. Rey Armstrong said. He was taken to a hospital for

treatment of
> apparently minor injuries, the sergeant said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050203/news_7m3bike.html

This link give a little more details.

Tom