Another cycling letter in the local paper

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm

Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that has
gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth to
each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never a
hint about that the original post was about.

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

In message <1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]>, marc
<[email protected]> writes
>Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
>
>Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that has
>gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth to
>each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never a
>hint about that the original post was about.

I'm relatively new to NGs. I assume that the practice of posting URLs has grown as more people have
access to ADSL etc. It doesn't make much sense when you do most of your reading offline.
--
Michael MacClancy

"marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
> Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
>
> Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
> has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
> to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
> a hint about that the original post was about.

In this case Simon has been commenting on several letters in his local press so I think it makes
sense to do it this way.

Sometimes a URL is a good way to provide data -- especially in answer to a specific question.

The growth of broadband certainly makes it an easier option though it would be bad if we lost some
of the repartee or this NG.

"marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
> Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
>
> Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
> has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
> to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
> a hint about that the original post was about.

OK I won't bother then, at least it'll save space on my webserver.

> "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
> > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
> >
> > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
> > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and
> > forth to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion,
> > and never a hint about that the original post was about.
>
> OK I won't bother then, at least it'll save space on my webserver.

I enjoyed it, please continue ...

> > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
> >
> > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs?
>
> Depends - Simon's is a picture, so needs to be.

Is it? How do you know without going there?

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
> >
> > Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
> > has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and
> > forth to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion,
> > and never a hint about that the original post was about.
>
> OK I won't bother then, at least it'll save space on my webserver.

Could you explain how giving an explanation here of your URL would save room on your webserver?

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

> > > Depends - Simon's is a picture, so needs to be.
> >
> > Is it?
>
> Yes.
>
> > How do you know without going there?
>
> You don't. Do you need to?

If I want to follow this thread, yes.

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

"marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]...
> Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
>
> Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
> has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
> to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
> a hint about that the original post was about.
>

> --
> Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
> http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

Sorry mate but I can't see your argument. Simon was making a valid point which could only really be
made by with the picture. HRH Prince William is a cyclist too! :))

Pete White

marc <[email protected]> wrote:

> " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never a hint about that the original post
> was about.

I thought the hint was in the Subject line to which I added my knowledge of Simon's previous posts
on the topic.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Pete White <[email protected]> writes
> >Sorry mate but I can't see your argument.
>
> For those of us who still read NGs off-line URLs are a real pain.
> --
> Michael MacClancy

True, particularly if you're still on a dial-up like me, but sometimes the best option is to post a
URL. If it was a non-regular of u.r.c that had posted, then I might have a problem with it. It
slightly annoys me when someone posts a URL of E-bay auctions here just to sell something bike
related (unless of course I'm looking for something, natch) AND it also annoys me when people try to
post pictures (not that this example of extreme idiocy happens here) direct to a newsgroup.

But your point is well made.

Pete White

[email protected] (marc) wrote in message
news:<1frg93h.rkufp0k6je7xN%[email protected]>...
> Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Here: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper.htm
>
> Am I the only one that is annoyed by posting's which are just URLs? I have seen a local NG that
> has gone down the pan because of this habit, resulting in people just posting urls back and forth
> to each other and saying things like " Yes, that's good isn't it?", no real discussion, and never
> a hint about that the original post was about.

At first I thought you meant that we don't want to download tedious letters from obscure provincial
newspapers about people riding on pavements, in which case I would save my time and web space by not
putting them on the 'net in the first place.

Then I realised that you meant that I should put up a description of the item along these lines.
"In our local paper today a parent whose teenage daughter was injured by a pavement cyclist
complained to the police who sent round an inspector to discuss the matter with them. The inspector
assured the parent that additional police resources would be diverted to the problem area. The
parent has seen no evidence of this and indeed went so far as to take photos of the cyclists. While
the parent accepts that the police have a difficult enough job as it is they feel that there should
be some action on clamping down on the problem."

Now, if I had written this then the posting of the URL would have been futile, since anyone can
work the above out for themselves by reading the letter. It needs no introduction at all. The
reader's thought processes would then conclude that even if someone goes to all the trouble that
this parent did, then it is still very unlikely that a pavement cyclist will get fined.

The post need not have been intended to initiate a discussion thread; indeed the other post about
constructing a sports stadium with a dedicated cycle track to the front door along with 300 stands
was not intended to create a thread. It was merely to show that the needs of cyclist were
pre-eminent in the designer's minds, ahead of cars since these have to be left in the city centre.
However, if people don't want this sort of thing on a cycling NG then I won't waste my time
posting it here.

Simom