Another cycling tragedy.

On 5 Jan 2006 12:16:16 -0800 someone who may be "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4585056.stm

"Stephen Jeffrey Ralph, 39, died when he was struck by a car which
carried him for some distance before hitting a tree on Bempton Lane.

"A 44-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of causing death by
dangerous driving but later released on bail."

Did the driver not notice, which sounds most unlikely, or did they
not care? Did they have something they thought it more important to
hide than stopping to help someone?

"Following the crash on Monday night, the car involved drove off,
leaving Mr Ralph with fatal head injuries, Humberside Police said."

I doubt very much if the car drove off all by itself, so either the
police or the paper are spinning things.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Local cyclist killed by hit and run driver.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4585056.stm

See also http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/humber/4576870.stm
which seems to be the same incident.

"A 17-year-old girl held after a fatal hit-and-run accident in
Bridlington has been released by police, who have now arrested a
44-year-old local woman."

Mother and daughter? I wonder which of them really was driving?

I can understand that you might hit a cyclist with a car. Let's face it,
we're none of us perfect drivers. But leaving someone injured at the
roadside... that is just appalling behaviour.

The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
;; of me, by a 'friend'

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:21:21 +0000 someone who may be Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I can understand that you might hit a cyclist with a car. Let's face it,
>we're none of us perfect drivers.

Indeed, perfect safety is a goal but one which is unlikely to be
attained.

>But leaving someone injured at the
>roadside... that is just appalling behaviour.

And behaviour that is not treated seriously by the legal "system".
Indeed, even the fact that someone died as a result of poor driving
is excluded from the court proceedings if at all possible.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2006 12:16:16 -0800 someone who may be "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4585056.stm

> "Stephen Jeffrey Ralph, 39, died when he was struck by a car which
> carried him for some distance before hitting a tree on Bempton Lane.
> "A 44-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of causing death by
> dangerous driving but later released on bail."

<snip>
> "Following the crash on Monday night, the car involved drove off,
> leaving Mr Ralph with fatal head injuries, Humberside Police said."
>
> I doubt very much if the car drove off all by itself, so either the
> police or the paper are spinning things.

but it doesn't seem a bad turn of phrase if the vehicle involved is
known but the driver isn't or is in dispute as the other report of two
women having been "helping with enquiries"

best wishes
james

On 6 Jan 2006 05:38:01 -0800 someone who may be
"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> I doubt very much if the car drove off all by itself, so either the
>> police or the paper are spinning things.

>but it doesn't seem a bad turn of phrase if the vehicle involved is
>known but the driver isn't or is in dispute as the other report of two
>women having been "helping with enquiries"

It seems a bad turn of phrase to me. "The driver drove off" is a far
better phrase.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:

> It seems a bad turn of phrase to me. "The driver drove off" is a far
> better phrase.

David, when will you learn that it's always the car that takes control
in an accident, never the driver.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:02:07 +0000, David Hansen
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>"Stephen Jeffrey Ralph, 39, died when he was struck by a car which
>carried him for some distance before hitting a tree on Bempton Lane.
>"A 44-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of causing death by
>dangerous driving but later released on bail."

Reminds me of a case my barrister friend dealt with once. The
question of whether the driver should be charged with manslaughter or
not hinged on whether the victim was dead before he noticed that they
were attached to the car. I can't imagine it made a lot of difference
to the victim.

Cut off their goolies!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

David Hansen wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2006 12:16:16 -0800 someone who may be "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>

>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4585056.stm

> Did the driver not notice, which sounds most unlikely, or did they
> not care? Did they have something they thought it more important to
> hide than stopping to help someone?

The area concerned is populated almost entirely by elderly people living
in bungalows.

I have spent little time there recently, but similar areas on the South
Coast are death traps due to blind and bewildered drivers.

> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:02:07 +0000, David Hansen
> <[email protected]> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>"Stephen Jeffrey Ralph, 39, died when he was struck by a car which
>>carried him for some distance before hitting a tree on Bempton Lane.
>>"A 44-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of causing death by
>>dangerous driving but later released on bail."

> Reminds me of a case my barrister friend dealt with once. The
> question of whether the driver should be charged with manslaughter or
> not hinged on whether the victim was dead before he noticed that they
> were attached to the car. I can't imagine it made a lot of difference
> to the victim.
>
> Cut off their goolies!

That could be a little difficult if the driver was female!:)-)

But I would be happy to try!:)-)

Alan