Another cyclist attacked - Qld

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by osc, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. osc

    osc New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2004
    Another sad story...I hope they get the B*******

    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21273495-1702,00.html
    Cyclist in hospital after hit, run
    • <LI class=byline>
    • February 23, 2007
    A CYCLIST has been seriously injured in a hit and run incident in south-east Queensland.

    Police said the 38-year-old man was riding his mountain bike on Bellini Road at Burpengary on the Sunshine Coast about 3.55pm (AEST) yesterday when a black sports sedan drove towards him.

    As the car approached a front seat passenger opened the door, which struck the cyclist on the leg.

    The car then drove away without stopping to help.

    The cyclist suffered serious injuries to his leg, including lacerations which exposed the bone.

    He was taken to Redcliffe Hospital and later transferred to the Royal Brisbane Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery.

    Police are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

    Tags:

  2. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    "osc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > Another sad story...I hope they get the B*******
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2fvwj5
    > CYCLIST IN HOSPITAL AFTER HIT, RUN
    > - <LI class=byline>
    > - February 23, 2007
    > *A CYCLIST has been seriously injured in a hit and run incident in
    > south-east Queensland.*
    >
    > Police said the 38-year-old man was riding his mountain bike on Bellini
    > Road at Burpengary on the Sunshine Coast about 3.55pm (AEST) yesterday
    > when a black sports sedan drove towards him.

    A bit close to home. :-(
    It's bad enough without having to worry about psychopaths as well. Hopefully
    both the driver and passenger are caught and charged with a minimum of
    assault occasioning bodily harm and spend a long, long time without licenses
    if not jail time.

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

  3. AndrewJ

    AndrewJ Guest

    On Feb 23, 2:28 pm, "OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "osc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >

    > > Another sad story...I hope they get the B*******

    > >http://tinyurl.com/2fvwj5
    > > CYCLIST IN HOSPITAL AFTER HIT, RUN
    > > - <LI class=byline>
    > > - February 23, 2007
    > > *A CYCLIST has been seriously injured in a hit and run incident in
    > > south-east Queensland.*

    > > Police said the 38-year-old man was riding his mountain bike on Bellini
    > > Road at Burpengary on the Sunshine Coast about 3.55pm (AEST) yesterday
    > > when a black sports sedan drove towards him.

    > A bit close to home. :-(
    > It's bad enough without having to worry about psychopaths as well. Hopefully
    > both the driver and passenger are caught and charged with a minimum of
    > assault occasioning bodily harm and spend a long, long time without licenses
    > if not jail time.
    >
    > --www.ozcableguy.comwww.oztechnologies.com

    Ah c'mon. Just because it's a car door, that makes it ok?

    Assault with a weapon. Assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
    Attempted manslaughter.

    Take your pick.

  4. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    "AndrewJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ah c'mon. Just because it's a car door, that makes it ok?
    >
    > Assault with a weapon. Assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
    > Attempted manslaughter.
    >
    > Take your pick.

    Sadly the best the police will be able to charge them with will be dangerous
    driving. It's up to the victim to press assault charges.

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

  5. On Feb 23, 12:39 pm, osc <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > Another sad story...I hope they get the B*******
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2fvwj5
    > CYCLIST IN HOSPITAL AFTER HIT, RUN
    > - <LI class=byline>
    > - February 23, 2007
    > *A CYCLIST has been seriously injured in a hit and run incident in
    > south-east Queensland.*
    >
    > Police said the 38-year-old man was riding his mountain bike on Bellini
    > Road at Burpengary on the Sunshine Coast about 3.55pm (AEST) yesterday
    > when a black sports sedan drove towards him.
    >
    > As the car approached a front seat passenger opened the door, which
    > struck the cyclist on the leg.

    This doesn't make any sense. Did the front seat passenger lean across
    the driver and open the drivers door (quite awkward) after the car
    crossed to the incorrect side of the road, or was the cyclist riding
    against the traffic?

    Either way, hope they can put the poor bastard back together ok.

  6. osc wrote:

    > Another sad story...I hope they get the B*******
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2fvwj5
    > CYCLIST IN HOSPITAL AFTER HIT, RUN
    > - <LI class=byline>
    > - February 23, 2007
    > *A CYCLIST has been seriously injured in a hit and run
    > incident in
    > south-east Queensland.*
    >
    > Police said the 38-year-old man was riding his mountain bike
    > on Bellini Road at Burpengary on the Sunshine Coast about
    > 3.55pm (AEST) yesterday when a black sports sedan drove
    > towards him.
    >
    > As the car approached a front seat passenger opened the door,
    > which struck the cyclist on the leg.
    >
    > The car then drove away without stopping to help.
    >
    > The cyclist suffered serious injuries to his leg, including
    > lacerations which exposed the bone.
    >
    > He was taken to Redcliffe Hospital and later transferred to
    > the Royal Brisbane Hospital where he underwent emergency
    > surgery.
    >
    > Police are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

    In his novel "The Hammer Of God", Arthur C Clarke wrote "Guns
    are the crutches of the impotent". I'm not sure his list is
    complete.

    John

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Narrow road? Did the car's driver deliberately swerve so the arsewipe, opps, meant to type, passenger, could swing the door on the cyclist? The article leaves out the full details (surprise)

    The injuries sound absolutely horrific, and I damn hope this bloke is receiving the very best medical care & support.

  8. Duracell Bunny

    Duracell Bunny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    They don't say the car was travelling in the opposite direction, just towards the cyclist. Could have come up behind him & swiped him as they went past.

    Scary stuff.

  9. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Webster's dictionary defines manslaughter as "the unlawful killing of a human being without express or implied malice." So um... how do you have attempted manslaughter?

  10. Adam F

    Adam F Guest

    "SomeGuy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > AndrewJ Wrote:
    >> Ah c'mon. Just because it's a car door, that makes it ok?
    >>
    >> Assault with a weapon. Assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
    >> Attempted manslaughter.
    >>
    >> Take your pick.

    > Webster's dictionary defines manslaughter as "the unlawful killing of a
    > human being without express or implied malice." So um... how do you have
    > attempted manslaughter?
    >

    > --
    > SomeGuy

    Yeah it's more like assault occasioning GBH or attempted murder - there was
    plenty of malice involved.

    //Adam F

  11. Blue  Heeler

    Blue Heeler Guest

    SomeGuy wrote:

    > AndrewJ Wrote:
    > > Ah c'mon. Just because it's a car door, that makes it ok?
    > >
    > > Assault with a weapon. Assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
    > > Attempted manslaughter.
    > >
    > > Take your pick.

    > Webster's dictionary defines manslaughter as "the unlawful killing of
    > a human being without express or implied malice." So um... how do you
    > have attempted manslaughter?

    Got to watch "dictionary" definitions.

    The actual definitions vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. For
    example, the QLD positon is:

    CRIMINAL CODE 1899 - SECT 303
    Definition of manslaughter

    A person who unlawfully kills another under such circumstances as not
    to constitute murder is guilty of manslaughter.

    And if you really want to get your teeth into it..........

    CRIMINAL CODE 1899 - SECT 4
    Attempts to commit offences

    (1) When a person, intending to commit an offence, begins to put the
    person's intention into execution by means adapted to its fulfilment,
    and manifests the person's intention by some overt act, but does not
    fulfil the person's intention to such an extent as to commit the
    offence, the person is said to attempt to commit the offence.

    (2) It is immaterial, except so far as regards punishment, whether the
    offender does all that is necessary on the offender's part for
    completing the commission of the offence, or whether the complete
    fulfilment of the offender's intention is prevented by circumstances
    independent of his or her will, or whether the offender desists of his
    or her own motion from the further prosecution of the offender's
    intention.

    (3) It is immaterial that by reason of circumstances not known to the
    offender it is impossible in fact to commit the offence.

    (4) The same facts may constitute one offence and an attempt to commit
    another offence.

    --

  12. Resound

    Resound Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Feb 23, 12:39 pm, osc <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >> Another sad story...I hope they get the B*******
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2fvwj5
    >> CYCLIST IN HOSPITAL AFTER HIT, RUN
    >> - <LI class=byline>
    >> - February 23, 2007
    >> *A CYCLIST has been seriously injured in a hit and run incident in
    >> south-east Queensland.*
    >>
    >> Police said the 38-year-old man was riding his mountain bike on Bellini
    >> Road at Burpengary on the Sunshine Coast about 3.55pm (AEST) yesterday
    >> when a black sports sedan drove towards him.
    >>
    >> As the car approached a front seat passenger opened the door, which
    >> struck the cyclist on the leg.

    > This doesn't make any sense. Did the front seat passenger lean across
    > the driver and open the drivers door (quite awkward) after the car
    > crossed to the incorrect side of the road, or was the cyclist riding
    > against the traffic?
    >
    > Either way, hope they can put the poor bastard back together ok.

    Rear seat passenger on the driver's side perhaps. Either that or they came
    up from behind. Here's hoping they everything that's coming to them.

  13. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    OzCableguy wrote:
    > Hopefully
    > both the driver and passenger are caught and charged with a minimum of
    > assault occasioning bodily harm and spend a long, long time without licenses
    > if not jail time.

    Hint, do not hold your breath.
    Plod will do SFA.

  14. cfsmtb