Another cyclist death on the roads.

Friday

Guest
As reported by the Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/cyclist-killed-in-car-accident/2006/09/29/1159337306551.html

A cyclist died when he fell from his bike and was struck by a car in
Melbourne's north-west.

The man, 45, was riding south on St Albans Road at St Albans when he
fell from his bike near Merton Street and was hit by a car about 10.30pm
yesterday, police said.

The motorist, who was not injured, stopped to assist but the cyclist
died at the scene.

Victoria's road toll now stands at 244, 15 fewer than at the same time
last year.

Friday

Sheet! 4 in 24hrs..that's 1 of us every 6 hrs getting cleaned up..wots
going on?????

"Friday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As reported by the Age.
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/cyclist-killed-in-car-accident/2006/09/29/1159337306551.html
>
> A cyclist died when he fell from his bike and was struck by a car in
> Melbourne's north-west.
>
> The man, 45, was riding south on St Albans Road at St Albans when he fell
> from his bike near Merton Street and was hit by a car about 10.30pm
> yesterday, police said.
>
> The motorist, who was not injured, stopped to assist but the cyclist died
> at the scene.
>
> Victoria's road toll now stands at 244, 15 fewer than at the same time
> last year.
>

> Friday

"Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sheet! 4 in 24hrs..that's 1 of us every 6 hrs getting cleaned up..wots
> going on?????
>

> "Friday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> As reported by the Age.
>>
>> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/cyclist-killed-in-car-accident/2006/09/29/1159337306551.html
>>
>> A cyclist died when he fell from his bike and was struck by a car in
>> Melbourne's north-west.
>>
>> The man, 45, was riding south on St Albans Road at St Albans when he fell
>> from his bike near Merton Street and was hit by a car about 10.30pm
>> yesterday, police said.
>>
>> The motorist, who was not injured, stopped to assist but the cyclist died
>> at the scene.
>>
>> Victoria's road toll now stands at 244, 15 fewer than at the same time
>> last year.
>>

>> Friday

I bet these 4 tragedies will not make anywhere near the coverage that the
Hell Ride accident in Mentone recently did. The motorist attitude would be
"get rid of bicycles from the roads and there wont be any more cycling
deaths".

Lose Lose. Sad.

Have a read of this in today's The Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opini...1159337278207.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Death Race 2006: let's ride it out

By Jim Schembri
September 29, 2006

If one more commentator, police official, talkback radio host, op-ed writer,
politician or concerned citizen comes out and laments how the slaughter on
our roads is due to "not getting the message through to drivers", I'm going
to throw up. Victorian roads have been host to an unprecedented degree of
carnage in recent days. There's no need to go into the details because
they're too appalling.

But the confluence of killing has drawn the usual round of earnest
commentary about the need for better driver education, for public awareness
campaigns, for the redesign of troublesome intersections, and for the urgent
need to insert a partridge in a pear tree. These sentiments do not come as
part of any sustained opposition to the road carnage, but instead reflect
the general public's lackadaisical Death Race 2000 attitude to the road
toll, which is to merely accept it as a normal part of modern life.

The big proviso, of course, is that the carnage must tick over at a nice,
steady pace. A few deaths a week is just fine, preferably in singles rather
than in groups, and in unspectacular crashes. That way the body count can
rise quietly and remain under everybody's radar.

It's only when the road slaughter hits an arbitrary critical mass - a
concentration of horrific incidents within a few days - that the death rate
draws focus. And each time the toll hits the news, the same nauseating
ritual of aimless, impotent agonising kicks in. What can we do? How can we
get the safety message through to drivers? Should there be road education in
schools? How can we make drivers think more? Where, oh where, has my little
dog gone?

Everybody is very serious for a bit - then the issue vanishes as quickly as
it was picked up. We cut to an ad break and come back to talk about footy
scores and the weather. It takes another spike in fatalities to get the toll
back on the agenda.

Too much time has been wasted debating. The problems are screamingly
obvious. The elephant in the room has now grown so big that there's barely
space left for yet another soul to ponder the eternal mystery of "how do we
get the message through to drivers?".

People act stupidly on the roads for one simple reason: they're encouraged
to. For although driver stupidity is responsible for so much of the maiming
and killing, the lenient penalties incurred by the stupid do not provide
sufficient discouragement.

The roads are clogged with drivers who clearly shouldn't be there. Ask any
plod on booze bus detail. And why? Because it's way too easy to get a
licence. It's way too hard to lose it. The penalties for culpable driving
would be a joke if there was anything funny about them. Speed and alcohol
are our biggest killers, yet the disincentives are too weak to keep people
from speeding and drinking.

Here's a great movie idea. A guy wants another guy dead. But rather than
plot an elaborate murder, he runs his victim over with a car. He makes sure
he's drunk at the time, is speeding, and that he does it while running a
stop sign. His penalty? Six-month licence suspension, a $130 fi ne and a
disapproving look from the judge. The title we're going with is: What Do You
Have To Do To Lose Your Licence In This Town?.

The one crucial element always missing from anti-toll campaigns is fear.
Every time a driver gets pulled over, the threat of lifelong, irreversible
licence cancellation should be front of mind. If you speed, drink, run a
red, fail to stop, there it goes - for good.

But we know that's never going to happen, and we know perfectly well why.
The hundreds killed and maimed each year on our roads are the sacrifice the
community willingly makes in exchange for the convenience of driving.
Introduce tougher laws and never mind the toll - you'll impinge on people's
freedom to drive drunk, veer over to the wrong side of the road and wipe out
a family.

There has been celebration over the fact that Victoria's road toll has been
"improving". That is, fewer people are dying needlessly now than were dying
needlessly before. This is obscene. To paraphrase Howard Beale from the 1976
movie Network, the implication underlying such a boast is that the annual
harvest of corpses from our roads is somehow part of the natural order of
things, as though that's the way it's supposed to be.

And it is, because driving is considered a right rather than a privilege. It
ought to be the other way around. Drivers should sweat to keep their
licences. Re-test them every two years. At their expense. Got a problem with
that? Good. It's the very lack of that type of measure that keeps idiots on
the road, secure in the knowledge that nobody will care enough to make them
suffer when their stupidity claims and ruins innocent lives.

> There has been celebration over the fact that Victoria's road toll has
> been "improving". That is, fewer people are dying needlessly now than were
> dying needlessly before. This is obscene. To paraphrase Howard Beale from
> the 1976 movie Network, the implication underlying such a boast is that
> the annual harvest of corpses from our roads is somehow part of the
> natural order of things, as though that's the way it's supposed to be.
>
> And it is, because driving is considered a right rather than a privilege.
> It ought to be the other way around. Drivers should sweat to keep their
> licences. Re-test them every two years. At their expense. Got a problem
> with that? Good. It's the very lack of that type of measure that keeps
> idiots on the road, secure in the knowledge that nobody will care enough
> to make them suffer when their stupidity claims and ruins innocent lives.

I agree up to the last - just how is testing people going to make them safer
drivers? Everyone would be on their best behaviour for the test then
promptly revert to driving like they always do, which in *most* cases is
safely enough. It might weed out a few incompetents who can't reverse park
or who dont know the road rules but it wouldnt get the hard cases who drink
and drive or habitually speed or who suffer from road rage, unless the test
was designed pretty cunningly. Stiffer penalties might be useful , many
more speed cameras and red light cameras, black boxes in cars, and some sort
of community dobbing in of people known to drive dangerously or
antisocially. Isnt it that 10% of people cause 90% of the problems. Even
then, people who lose their licences just drive unlicensed.

fb

Jim Schembri's opinion in the age http://www.theage.com.au/news/opini...ge#contentSwap1
hits a few nerves with some, and I'm sure goes straight over the top with many...

Now ...just think of a society where....... way too many kids are needing foster home care in droves because of dysfunctional parents...where drug abuse is encouraged through the sale of social drugs like nicotine and alcohol, drugs which would be banned if they were new on the market or at least would have stringent TGA controls...where pollutants are pumped into a fragile hurting environment, killers in charge of weapons as machines get off scot free, where obscene monies are paid to a few MBA holders who are tought to negotiate an employment contract first and then think about shareholder value and corporate citizenship if at all, where politicians lie, religious leaders abuse, media distort and misrepresent, elite sports people cheat and food producers poison to ensure pharmaceuticals profit....hmmmm sounds horrible, almost fictional...

oh jeeeeeeeezez...its where we are at....

calm blue ocean calm blue ocean.....

the bicycle is a freedom vehicle, at least we have that...and with care and deliberate concern for our fellow man/women and children, we will save this planet and preserve it better than it was heading...so our kids kids can say thank you...not condemn us for neglect....

advocate, speak up and say your peace...the worst crime is done when good people say nothing....

over to you (steps off soapbox..., till the next time...)..oh and go see the film/slides of Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth"..you may not agree but you have to wonder and it may prompt you to do something about the state of things as they are or as they could be....

Hey, whoa, hang on. I'm finding myself largely in agreement with that
article. Who is this person and what has he done with Jim Schembri?

Resound said:
Hey, whoa, hang on. I'm finding myself largely in agreement with that
article. Who is this person and what has he done with Jim Schembri?
I'm not disagreeing either...I was saying that many miss the points JS makes...plus

Fractal wrote:

> I agree up to the last - just how is testing people going to make them safer
> drivers? Everyone would be on their best behaviour for the test then
> promptly revert to driving like they always do, which in *most* cases is
> safely enough. It might weed out a few incompetents who can't reverse park
> or who dont know the road rules but it wouldnt get the hard cases who drink
> and drive or habitually speed or who suffer from road rage, unless the test
> was designed pretty cunningly.

Useful testing would have to include some sort of psych testing to
actually assess whether you are stable enough to drive a car without
taking risks such as drink driving, driving 100kph through backstreets, etc.

> Stiffer penalties might be useful , many
> more speed cameras and red light cameras, black boxes in cars, and some sort
> of community dobbing in of people known to drive dangerously or
> antisocially. Isnt it that 10% of people cause 90% of the problems. Even
> then, people who lose their licences just drive unlicensed.

More and more fines are being handed out but the number of speeders and
drink drivers doesn't seem to be dropping as much any more. Doesn't that
tell you that stiffer penalties won't work? I agree some penalties are
pissweak - if they were serious that speed kills you'd lose your license
for 10 over the limit repeated three times but they seem to prefer the
revenue or maybe they're worried that as so many people speed they'd
vote against them at the next election.

--
Ben
Lyric of the week: "This the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

Ben Thomas wrote:

> More and more fines are being handed out but the number of speeders and
> drink drivers doesn't seem to be dropping as much any more.

Which means that the penalty for being caught is insignificant. If you
were to lose your license for a year for driving at 10km/h over the
limit I bet there'd be a lot mroe compliance.
--
Cheers
Euan

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:27:00 GMT
Fractal <[email protected]> wrote:

> I agree up to the last - just how is testing people going to make them safer
> drivers? Everyone would be on their best behaviour for the test then
> promptly revert to driving like they always do, which in *most* cases is
> safely enough. It might weed out a few incompetents who can't reverse park

That's what I used to think until I read of an experiment in the UK.

They took drivers with several years' experience on a mock driving
test and found that habit took over... They might have started doing
the right thing but rather quickly fell into their normal habits.

From memory the usual mistakes were speeding, failing to check before
changing lanes, and failing to anticipate - that is failing to see
what was happening up ahead and deal in time.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 30 Sep 2006 05:40:14 GMT
Euan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben Thomas wrote:
>
>> More and more fines are being handed out but the number of speeders and
>> drink drivers doesn't seem to be dropping as much any more.

> Which means that the penalty for being caught is insignificant. If you
> were to lose your license for a year for driving at 10km/h over the
> limit I bet there'd be a lot mroe compliance.

It's the old penalty vs liklihood tradeoff, the famous example being
pickpockets working the crowd at a hanging of people for picking
pockets.

If the penalty for doing 10kmh over was loss of licence for a year but
you had to be followed for 2km by a marked car with lights and sirens
going, then I doubt most people would care.

If the penalty was $5 for every 30 secs you spent over the limit,
measured by a black box and automatically deducted from your account,
I think they'd care...

Zebee