Another cyclist killed

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Uphill Downhill, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Uphill DownHill wrote in message ...
    > I wonder what the outcome of this will be. http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12

    I do wish these reports included a short comment about how the *accident* happened, so the rest of
    us could be made more aware of how *not* to cycle in a group.

    Such as .. was he at the back of the group? front of the group? riding alongside another (or more)
    riders? on a narrow winding road? after dark with no lights? In a dark section of road with lots of
    tree cover after coming from bright sunshine? [[ That always worries me ]].

  2. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Uphill DownHill wrote in message ...
    > > I wonder what the outcome of this will be. http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12
    >
    > I do wish these reports included a short comment about how the *accident* happened, so the rest of
    > us could be made more aware of how *not* to cycle in a group.
    >
    > Such as .. was he at the back of the group? front of the group? riding alongside another (or more)
    > riders? on a narrow winding road? after dark with no lights? In a dark section of road with lots
    > of tree cover after coming from bright sunshine? [[ That always worries me ]].

    Until it goes to court it would be wrong for reporters to suggest what went wrong- the standard
    sentence ' the bike was in collision with the car/whatever' is used to take the emotion out and
    leave the court to adjudge the facts which all seems fair enough to me, we have enough of our
    'opinions' formed by the tabloid press as it is!

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

  4. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Willowbeauty wrote:

    > "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Uphill DownHill wrote in message ...
    > > > I wonder what the outcome of this will be.
    > > > http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12
    > >
    > > I do wish these reports included a short comment about how the *accident* happened, so the rest
    > > of us could be made more aware of how *not* to cycle in a group.
    > >
    > > Such as .. was he at the back of the group? front of the group? riding alongside another (or
    > > more) riders? on a narrow winding road? after dark with no lights? In a dark section of road
    > > with lots of tree cover after coming from bright sunshine? [[ That always worries me ]].
    > >

    > Until it goes to court it would be wrong for reporters to suggest what went wrong- the standard
    > sentence ' the bike was in collision with the car/whatever' is used to take the emotion out and
    > leave the court to adjudge the facts which all seems fair enough to me, we have enough of our
    > 'opinions' formed by the tabloid press as it is!

    Quite right. However there is more information over on veloriders with a report by someone who was
    a witness.

    http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5236

    Tragic.

    John B

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    JohnB wrote in message ...
    > However there is more information over on veloriders with a report by someone who was a witness.
    > http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5236

    Well ... It was just the same as the other news report. Nothing to describe how it happened (without
    apportioning blame).

    Reading those forums I now now know why I HATE avtars on forums. One in particular there, totally
    inappropriate.

  6. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > JohnB wrote in message ...
    > > However there is more information over on veloriders with a report by someone who was a witness.
    > > http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5236
    >
    > Well ... It was just the same as the other news report. Nothing to describe how it happened
    > (without apportioning blame).

    It would be wrong to.

    > Reading those forums I now now know why I HATE avtars on forums. One in particular there, totally
    > inappropriate.

    Which one?

    John B

  7. Uphill DownHill tried to scribble ...

    > I wonder what the outcome of this will be.
    >

    > http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12

    Depends what you mean by 'the outcome' .. It seems to me that someone is dead, how much more sad or
    tragic an 'outcome' do you want ?

    --
    Digweed

  8. Dan

    Dan Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:38:57 +0100, "Digweed .. ;\)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Uphill DownHill tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> I wonder what the outcome of this will be.
    >>
    >> http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12
    >
    >Depends what you mean by 'the outcome' .. It seems to me that someone is dead, how much more sad or
    >tragic an 'outcome' do you want ?

    Legislation against bikes on the road? Against cars on the roads? Against riding in big groups?
    That's how I read him.

    --
    [email protected] - Orange Patriot -03

  9. Dan tried to scribble ...

    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:38:57 +0100, "Digweed .. ;\)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Uphill DownHill tried to scribble ...
    >>
    >>> I wonder what the outcome of this will be.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.htvwales.com/htvwales-cgi/news/show?id=12
    >>
    >> Depends what you mean by 'the outcome' .. It seems to me that someone is dead, how much more sad
    >> or tragic an 'outcome' do you want ?
    >
    > Legislation against bikes on the road? Against cars on the roads? Against riding in big groups?
    > That's how I read him.

    Could be .. but as the circumstances aren't known, at least from this report, an 'outcome' could
    mean just about anything.

    --
    Digweed

  10. And, alas, another. This time a child.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3151271.stm

    "Child cyclist dies in coach accident

    A young girl has been killed in a road accident in Ipswich. A Suffolk Police spokesman said the
    girl, who has not been named, was riding a bicycle which was involved in a collision with a coach.

    The accident happened at around 1230 BST on Landseer Road between Raeburn Road and Reynolds Road.

    Police have closed Landseer Road and set up diversions for motorists while officers at the scene
    investigate the cause of the accident."

    No other details given. Every parent's worst nightmare, I think. Children aren't supposed to go
    before their parents. :-(

    helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. Markk

    Markk Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > And, alas, another. This time a child.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3151271.stm
    >
    > "Child cyclist dies in coach accident
    >
    > A young girl has been killed in a road accident in Ipswich. A Suffolk Police spokesman said the
    > girl, who has not been named, was
    riding a
    > bicycle which was involved in a collision with a coach.
    >
    > The accident happened at around 1230 BST on Landseer Road between Raeburn
    Road
    > and Reynolds Road.
    >
    > Police have closed Landseer Road and set up diversions for motorists while officers at the scene
    > investigate the cause of the accident."
    >
    > No other details given. Every parent's worst nightmare, I think. Children aren't supposed to go
    > before their parents. :-(
    >
    > helen s

    Nasty. This is a mile from where I live. I have few details of the accident, but I can say that
    Landseer Rd is a busy 30mph-limited single carriageway urban route into the docks and centre of
    Ipswich, with lots of HGV and bus as well as car traffic. The section concerned has council housing
    on both sides, and is regularly crossed by children going to the local park, etc. There are traffic
    islands at Reynolds Rd and a zebra crossing just beyond Raeburn Rd. I use the road fairly regularly
    and don't recall seeing small children cycling along it often.

    The coach was going west, towards the town centre. It appeared to be rather old (someone I know
    passed the scene), so its mechanical condition may have been a factor. Pure speculation, though.

    Mark

  12. Ian

    Ian Guest

    MarkK must be edykated coz e writed:

    > "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> And, alas, another. This time a child.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3151271.stm
    >>
    >> "Child cyclist dies in coach accident

    No other details given. Every parent's worst nightmare, I think. Children
    >> aren't supposed to go before their parents. :-(
    >>
    >> helen s
    >
    > Nasty. This is a mile from where I live. I have few details of the accident, but I can say that
    > Landseer Rd is a busy 30mph-limited single carriageway urban route into the docks and centre of
    > Ipswich, with lots of HGV and bus as well as car traffic. The section concerned has council
    > housing on both sides, and is regularly crossed by children going to the local park, etc. There
    > are traffic islands at Reynolds Rd and a zebra crossing just beyond Raeburn Rd. I use the road
    > fairly regularly and don't recall seeing small

    > Mark

    As a parent, and one of my two daughters is indeed 5 years old, I find this very distressing, my
    thoughts and prayers go out to the girls parents.

    Ian

  13. Fm

    Fm Guest

    we have enough of our
    > 'opinions' formed by the tabloid press as it is!

    Here, here!

  14. Well the outcome was,

    17 year old driving the white polo has been let off. At the time of the accident he was being
    followed by an unmarked police car. He was driving at 70 mph and as he came along the dual
    carriageway the sun low on the horizon blinded him, and as he could not see the group of cyclists
    ploughed into the middle of the pack.

    The only reason for my interest in the "OUTCOME" is that I cycle that road everyday.

  15. In message <[email protected]>, Uphill DownHill <[email protected]> writes
    >Well the outcome was,
    >
    >17 year old driving the white polo has been let off. At the time of the accident he was being
    >followed by an unmarked police car. He was driving at 70 mph and as he came along the dual
    >carriageway the sun low on the horizon blinded him, and as he could not see the group of cyclists
    >ploughed into the middle of the pack.
    >
    >The only reason for my interest in the "OUTCOME" is that I cycle that road everyday.

    Are you sure there's not more to the story than this? If the facts are limited to those above I find
    it hard to believe that the driver got off.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Uphill DownHill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > 17 year old driving the white polo has been let off. At the time of the accident he was being
    > followed by an unmarked police car. He was driving at 70 mph and as he came along the dual
    > carriageway the sun low on the horizon blinded him, and as he could not see the group
    of
    > cyclists ploughed into the middle of the pack.

    So he was driving at a speed too fast for the distance he could see to be clear. And that excuses
    his behaviour in what way exactly?

    ISTR that the HC recommends that you slow down and if necessary stop if you are dazzled. But that's
    probably in the ocntext of headlights. The Celestial Headlight would require a separate Rule since
    nobody could possibly be expected to work out that being dazzled by low sun is similar to being
    dazzled by oncoming headlights.

    --
    Guy
    ===