Another decade gone. Time to repaint again...

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:31:10 -0400, Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>
>>I disagree. Auto painters don't know what they are doing
>>with bike frames and could really screw up something like
>>what the OP is wanting to get done. Auto painter + bike
>>frame = paint recipe for disaster.
>
>Disaster??? Assuming they strip the frame properly, what is
>the worst they can do? Get paint on the threads? Easily
>fixed with a tap.
>---------------
>Alex

What can go wrong- runs, drips, overspray, uneven paint
thickness when dealing with pigments sensitive to this, bad
timing with catalyzed paints because of the intricacies in
painting a frame.... And all of this assumes good prep work
on the stripped frame.

My work involves painting lots of things, from panels to
intricate industrial prototypes. Using all sorts of paints
over the years. A bicycle frame is *the* most difficult
thing I have painted. The combination of tubes, angles, and
intersections is a huge series of places to make mistakes.
I've done four frames so far; I figure another four to six
frames and I'll have it figured out.

Not to say that any specific auto body painter isn't
capable. But I'd be careful. There are some serious
differences between painting a car and painting a bicycle.

> >Disaster??? Assuming they strip the frame properly, what
> >is the worst they can do? Get paint on the threads?
> >Easily fixed with a tap.
> >---------------
> >Alex
>
> What can go wrong- runs, drips, overspray, uneven paint
> thickness when dealing with pigments sensitive to this,
> bad timing with catalyzed paints because of the
> intricacies in painting a frame.... And all of this
> assumes good prep work on the stripped frame.
>
> My work involves painting lots of things, from panels to
> intricate industrial prototypes. Using all sorts of paints
> over the years. A bicycle frame is *the* most difficult
> thing I have painted. The combination of tubes, angles,
> and intersections is a huge series of places to make
> mistakes. I've done four frames so far; I figure another
> four to six frames and I'll have it figured out.
>
> Not to say that any specific auto body painter isn't
> capable. But I'd be careful. There are some serious
> differences between painting a car and painting a bicycle.

I'm having very good results with simple Duplicolor
automotive spray paints. They come premixed in a plain old
spray can. You can choose between lacquer (more color
choices), and enamel (more durable, but fewer colors). No
urethanes available from Duplicolor. I went with lacquer,
based on available color choice. An auto paint shop will
also mix paint and package it in a spray can for you.

You CAN get very good results if you take your time and
prepare well.

So far it looks great, cost $30 for materials. I'll have to
see how it holds up to paint chips.

Regards,

Rob

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> Disaster??? Assuming they strip the frame properly, what
> is the worst they can do? Get paint on the threads? Easily
> fixed with a tap.

In a rare moment of Bacardi offering something useful (
albeit inappropriate to the thread), he had a point.

Guys who are used to shooting panels have a hard time
spraying tubes without a combination of _both_ orange peel
and sag. It's a very different technique. Not impossible -
I've done both - but you get used to one style and it's
really hard to change over.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

Originally posted by David Wuertele
Chris> This time I'm toying with the idea of a "color-
Chris> change" paint job. The type that is one color when
Chris> viewed from one angle, and a different color when the
Chris> angle is changed.

How about one which is reflective?

http://tdf04.net/blog/photo/with-pump-bartape.jpg http://tdf04.net/blog/photo/with-pump-bartape-
flash.jpg

(make sure to look at them in order!)

Took me about fifteen hours and $30 worth of
reflective tape.

Dave

You have too much free time during the day.

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> This time I'm toying with the idea of a "color-change"
> paint job.
> 2. How expensive?
-----

depends... you can spray it yourself, but it won't be very
durable unless you also are good at clear-coating. paints
are available in a can at places like: http://www.hobbytron.net/RC-Car-Bodies-
Paints.html

autopainter can also do it, but may not have the right
nozzles, etc for small tubes compared to panels they
usually do.

We invite you to learn more about the wonderful process of
powdercoating by visiting www.powdercoater.com and going to
the FAQ page!

Andrews Powder Coating, Inc. www.powdercoater.com