Another dumb question.......

Guy Anderson, Sr.

Guest
Can a 700c X 18-23 tube be used safely in a 28 mm tire?

TIA!

Guy Anderson said:
Can a 700c X 18-23 tube be used safely in a 28 mm tire?

TIA!
Yes, but it will lose air faster than a 700c X 28-32 tube because it is streched more.

On Jun 25, 11:58 pm, "Guy Anderson, Sr." <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Can a 700c X 18-23 tube be used safely in a 28 mm tire?

25mm yes
28mm prolly fine
30mm pushing it
32mm you'll be sorry
35mm valvo blammo

news:[email protected]...
wrote:
>> Can a 700c X 18-23 tube be used safely in a 28 mm tire?

>25mm yes
>28mm prolly fine
>30mm pushing it
>32mm you'll be sorry
>35mm valvo blammo

I like your description for 35mm tires. :cool:

Also it depends on the brand of tube and the material that it's made of
plus the real age - how long since it was manufactured.

Some tubes are stretchier than others.

Chas.

On Jun 26, 12:18 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 25, 11:58 pm, "Guy Anderson, Sr." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Can a 700c X 18-23 tube be used safely in a 28 mm tire?

> >25mm yes
> >28mm prolly fine
> >30mm pushing it
> >32mm you'll be sorry
> >35mm valvo blammo

> I like your description for 35mm tires.  :cool:

Hehe. Beware the Kenda tubes pushed to their limits!

> Also it depends on the brand of tube and the material that it's made of
> plus the real age - how long since it was manufactured.

True--I've taken to replacing yearly on bikes that are daily riders as
I'm done with valve pull outs on dried out tubes.

> Some tubes are stretchier than others.

Seems to depend on how the valve is put on. Bontragers are the
stretchiest butyls I've used. That said, if it's the right size to
begin with, a toob is usually a toob.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Jun 26, 12:18 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 25, 11:58 pm, "Guy Anderson, Sr." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Can a 700c X 18-23 tube be used safely in a 28 mm tire?

> >25mm yes
> >28mm prolly fine
> >30mm pushing it
> >32mm you'll be sorry
> >35mm valvo blammo

> I like your description for 35mm tires. :cool:

Hehe. Beware the Kenda tubes pushed to their limits!

> Also it depends on the brand of tube and the material that it's made of
> plus the real age - how long since it was manufactured.

True--I've taken to replacing yearly on bikes that are daily riders as
I'm done with valve pull outs on dried out tubes.

> Some tubes are stretchier than others.

Seems to depend on how the valve is put on. Bontragers are the
stretchiest butyls I've used. That said, if it's the right size to
begin with, a toob is usually a toob.

I've stuck with Michelin A1 and A2 tubes for many years. Several years ago
I had a flat on an old bike that I hadn't ridden much since the early 90s.
The tube just developed a leak on the rim tape side, no pinching or any
obvious cause. I figure that I got my money's worth after ~15 years.

Chas.