Another elephant in the room?

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Scroll down to paragraphs 7-10 for some fighting words. ;)

****

SMH: Moore peddles cheap city bike service:Sunanda Creagh Urban Affairs Reporter, November 15, 2007
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ty-bike-service/2007/11/14/1194766770313.html

Poll: Bike hire for Sydney?
http://www.smh.com.au/polls/national/form.html

You are stuck at Broadway and you need to be at a meeting at Circular Quay in 10 minutes. You hire a bike, hop on and drop it off at your destination.

The Lord Mayor of the City of Sydney, Clover Moore, has flagged plans for a rental system under which low-cost bicycles can be hired from a "bike station" and returned to a station in another part of the city.

A recent survey commissioned by the City of Sydney showed that more than 80 per cent of inner city people supported such a scheme, and 71 per cent said an hourly fee of $3 or more was reasonable.

Cr Moore said the scheme was popular in Paris, where it was introduced this year. "It's a most inspirational program," she said. "I hope that as soon as possible it will be operational in Sydney. I believe bike traffic jumped to 75 per cent in Lyon after the system was introduced there."

In Paris, 20,600 bikes are provided by the street furniture firm JCDecaux and there are 1451 hire stations.

Cr Moore said the council would finalise its bike plan, which includes construction of new separated bike lanes in King Street, Castlereagh Street and possibly Druitt Street, before introducing a public hire scheme to Sydney.

The cycling activist Fiona Campbell said the state's bike infrastructure lagged "any other in Australia or the developed world. There are towns in the Swiss Alps that have better facilities than us."

Under the conditions of the consent for the Cross City Tunnel, the Roads and Traffic Authority was supposed to provide bike lanes on William and Park streets and a connection from Park Street to Pyrmont Bridge. It was also required to investigate an east-west cycle route around Liverpool Street.

"The latter they investigated and dismissed," Ms Campbell said. "The William and Park street lanes they constructed - although not to RTA standards - and then removed part of it."

She blamed what she sees as an anti-bike, pro-car attitude within the RTA, headed by ministers with no interest in cycling.

An RTA spokesman said the Government had built "more than 3900 kilometres of cycleway in NSW for the use of cyclists and pedestrians and an average of 233 kilometres of cycling facilities built each year since 1999".

"The Government has provided more than $291 million towards bicycle programs since then, with a further $15 million of work to be completed this financial year," he said.

Bicycle NSW, working with the Department of Transport, manages bike lockers at some train stations and ferry wharves.

On Nov 15, 11:16 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.302...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> [...]
> around Liverpool Street.
>
> "The latter they investigated and dismissed," Ms Campbell said. "The
> William and Park street lanes they constructed - although not to RTA
> standards - and then removed part of it."
>
> She blamed what she sees as an anti-bike, pro-car attitude within the
> RTA, headed by ministers with no interest in cycling.
>
> An RTA spokesman said the Government had built "more than 3900
> kilometres of cycleway in NSW for the use of cyclists and pedestrians
> and an average of 233 kilometres of cycling facilities built each year
> since 1999".
>
> "The Government has provided more than $291 million towards bicycle
> programs since then, with a further $15 million of work to be completed
> this financial year," he said.
>
> Bicycle NSW, working with the Department of Transport, manages bike
> lockers at some train stations and ferry wharves.

Jeebus how would you go around Sydernee letting any muppet with $2
ride your bike? With those drivers and those roads?

On Nov 16, 12:23 am, Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jeebus how would you go around Sydernee letting any muppet with $2
> ride your bike? With those drivers and those roads?

Really basic bikes can be bought - in bulk - for under $50 each out of
China or India. The type of bike that's ridden by half a billion
Chinese every day.

If one muppet in 30 kills a bike, you've collected $60 in rental, so
you're ahead. I doubt you'd lose one bike for every 30 rentals.

You also get a pile of spare parts to fix any minor breakages (or,
more cost effectively, put tangled mess of broken bits in a container
and send to East Timor for a charitable tax dodge).

Sure, you wouldn't be making much of a profit, but I don't think
anybody is expecting to make a profit out of the rental receipts.
Profit from renting out ad space on a fleet of mobile billboards is a
different matter.

Damage to the muppet is not the bike owners concern, so long as the
bike is fit for purpose and did not cause the accident.

tim