Another endorsemsnt of Kool Stop " Salmon" Pads

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    I just put a set of the subject pads on my Tour Easy Clone.

    I am amazed at the difference in stopping power.

    With the black, hard rubber pads, a strong pull caused slowing. Panic stops had to be planned.
    (How's that for an oxymoron???)

    With the new pads, a moderate pull causes much more stopping power than the above. Who knows what
    would happen with the 'strong pull'??

    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Gene Whittle

    Gene Whittle Guest

    Tom Blum wrote:

    > I just put a set of the subject pads on my Tour Easy Clone.
    >
    > I am amazed at the difference in stopping power.
    >
    > With the black, hard rubber pads, a strong pull caused slowing. Panic stops had to be planned.
    > (How's that for an oxymoron???)
    >
    > With the new pads, a moderate pull causes much more stopping power than the above. Who knows what
    > would happen with the 'strong pull'??
    >
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom

    Tom...

    I'm a Kool Stop salmon fan too. They're on three of my bikes and work great.

    They can squeal a bit, but a few minutes every few weeks of cleaning the rims and pads with alcohol
    followed by a light dusting of talcum power keeps that at bay.

    Gene

    ps- I adjust them for flat rim contact. I've tried the traditional toe in position and it doesn't
    seem to make any difference in performance or avoiding squeal.

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > With the new pads, a moderate pull causes much more stopping power than the above. Who knows what
    > would happen with the 'strong pull'??

    Easy there, big fellah...

    The combination of Kool Stop salmon pads, the low loading on the front wheel, and slippery surfaces
    can result in a front-wheel skid. Been there, done that, tightens the sphincters right now!

    But I'm not giving up my salmons.

    Jeff